Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking on a new cat

• 03-10-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi.it seems we are getting a new cat in the next couple of days.I wasn't really looking for one,but it's a bit of a crisis situation.we have a couple of cats already,so we're set up with food,toys and cosy places to sleep.our own cats are quite laid back,so hoping they'll all get on.just wondering how long the newcomer will have to be restricted to the house for before she'll recognize it as home,and we can trust her to stick around?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Hi.it seems we are getting a new cat in the next couple of days.I wasn't really looking for one,but it's a bit of a crisis situation.we have a couple of cats already,so we're set up with food,toys and cosy places to sleep.our own cats are quite laid back,so hoping they'll all get on.just wondering how long the newcomer will have to be restricted to the house for before she'll recognize it as home,and we can trust her to stick around?
    I'd keep her in for at least a month if not two to ensure she settles in properly. Also keep in mind you're looking at a week+ for the initial introduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

It depends on the age of the cat, a kitten that's a couple of months old and newly separated from their mother will likely bond with you very quickly and you could nearly start introducing it to the outside world after a few days.
    An older cat will need time to adapt, definitely the first few weeks I wouldn't let them out. When you do start letting them out, supervise them initially in case they bolt and maybe throw them a couple of treats when they come back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Maybe try a cat harness after a week or two to familiarize kitty with the local area.
    Ive 3 cats, 1 who I will never let out even after having her neutered as she has absolutely no road sense or recall once she has escaped.
    The other 2 are fine though, go out, eat some grass, sit on a wall where the neighbouring kids can't get at them.
    If madame gets out she runs towards the nearby M50 , with me in hot pursuit holding a whiskas pouch.
    Some cats have 'road sense', others often tragically don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Thanks loads for the replies.cat in question is a very friendly,spayed,middle aged female.we are also at least a mile from any sort of road.(very long boreen).will dig out the litter trays,and keep her in for a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I would also keep her completely separate from your existing cats, for at least the first week, if not longer. Set her up in a safe room with everything she needs. Your cats will smell the newcomer - mollify them by giving treats etc. at the door to her room. Do scent-swapping as well, like giving them her blanket and vice-versa. This means when they do meet face-to-face, it won't be an enormous shock to all, and there'll be far less friction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Sounds like she'll have a great place to live, best of luck to you both OP

Advertisement