Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protestant church attacked in Donegal.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Free Masons mee eye. Free masons don't go around parading stiring up sectarian tensions.

That's true. I'd blame this on them showing up in Scotland during the referendum. But, faternal organisions are useually gear'd to stop peeps going loco, not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Berserker wrote: »
    First I have heard about this kind of attack in this country but I am not surprised to see it happening.
    Why are you not shocked? It's hardly widespread down here.
    Berserker wrote: »
    Not really when you look at the reaction of people like Kermit above. He has no problem with it.
    Ooh, a whole one person (yes I know there were more after him, but by the point you wrote the above post: one person).

What I think you're doing is pushing an "Irish people in general are bigoted towards protestant/unionist people" agenda, but you know you're wrong, fan of Ian Paisley. People here criticise hardline loyalism (as anyone would) but that doesn't have to have any relation whatosever with protestantism/normal rational unionists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Why are you not shocked? It's hardly widespread down here.

Ooh, a whole one person (yes I know there were more after him, but by the point you wrote the above post: one person).

What I think you're doing is pushing an "Irish people in general are bigoted towards protestant/unionist people" agenda, but you know you're wrong, fan of Ian Paisley. People here criticise hardline loyalism (as anyone would) but that doesn't have to have any relation whatosever with protestantism/normal rational unionists.

They have them now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Packrat

"Temple of Hate burnt".

I'm trying and failing to find a single solitary fcuk to give.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

They have them now?
    Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Packrat wrote: »
    "Temple of Hate burnt".

I'm trying and failing to find a single solitary fcuk to give.

I'm pretty sure the Orange Orders in the Republic are not Loyalists or even Unionists. I doubt there's much hate going on.
    Who knows how many more Lenny Murphys and Johnny Adairs will go through the ranks of the Orange Order.

In Donegal?:confused:

Of course.

Well some of them should get involved in politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Plenty of nasty bigotry being displayed on this thread - no wonder the Northern protestants don't want to join us down her.

Míshásta wrote: »
    Plenty of nasty bigotry being displayed on this thread - no wonder the Northern protestants don't want to join us down her.
    Well that wasn't really the reason why they didn't want to join us. And to view us all as bigots is... oh yeh, bigotry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Míshásta wrote: »

No bigotry at all, the Orange order isn't a religion (unless they've set up a secret cult nobody knows about).

I'm an atheist but if I was forced to become either a Catholic or a Protestant I'd choose Protestant because they seem to be less involved with superstitious crap & ridiculous rituals. (no offense Catholics).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

No bigotry at all, the Orange order isn't a religion (unless they've set up a secret cult nobody knows about).

I'm an atheist but if I was forced to become either a Catholic or a Protestant I'd choose Protestant because they seem to be less involved with superstitious crap & ridiculous rituals. (no offense Catholics).

Anglican maybe but the rest of the protestant sects ironically seem more fundy than the catholics nowadays.

While it turns out they were correct at the beginning of the 20th century that "Home Rule means Rome Rule", the Rome Rule actually turned those in the south off religion quicker than up north in the end. On a grand scale, the lack of separation between church and state in European countries put us all off religion quicker than the USA that actually had separation of church and state enshrined in the constitution. A freemarket of religion in the states meant more forceful marketing, competing and conversion by religions leading to much more fundamentalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Anglicanism might be a sort of stripped down Catholicism, but other protestant churches certainly aren't much better. Ulster Presbyterianism (given the topic at hand) is more like the fanatical fundamentalist bible belt religion in the USA.

Taking creationism as an example, Northern Ireland is the most creationist aligned place in Europe: http://bcseweb.org.uk/index.php/Main/UpdateOnNorthernIreland
    "Of the several hundred creationists in Northern Ireland that the BCSE has identified, not one is Catholic and every single one looks to be to be a practising Protestant. There are no Catholic creationist organisations in the province and no Catholic churches (or any other Catholic organisation) have endorsed it. Not one.
    Or in what other place in Europe would this be an issue?: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/should-northern-ireland-play-sunday-football-at-windsor-park-29575530.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Great contribution, bravo

Any time Grand Wizard Doe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

"Nordies in sectarian nonsense shocker"

A quagmire that should be ignored until it fixes itself and the people up there realize that all of their beliefs are truly laughable and we are all just animals with ridiculously short lifespans who really shouldn't be wasting them on such idiocy.

LOL, uninformed nonsense.

The area has excellent community relations.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

John Doe1 wrote: »
    The orange order is a very different beast in Donegal, it is more a social group celebrating their shared heritage. Take a look a Rossnowlagh orange parade for example.

Why do you have unionist politicians in Donegal attending orange marches John Doe, considering they're from another jurisdiction and have no problem burning the Irish tricolour?

They're obviously trying to be triumphant. You let yourselves be part of their sectarianism and then play the "cultural institution card".

Can you say for certain that none of your lodge's members attend any sectarian bonfires in NI?

Do you feel confused as to why Irish people do not understand how you can have the rights you have in the Republic yet want to deny them to Irish people in Derry, etc? Many people actually have to leave Derry to go to Donegal because of the Orange Order.

Do you not feel ashamed?

I mean I believe you about mixed marriages, etc in Donegal, and the good community relations, but how can you turn a blind eye to the fact that Orange Lodges in NI do not allow their members to associate with Catholics?

And then pretend all of that sort of thing is normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Calibos wrote: »
    While it turns out they were correct at the beginning of the 20th century that "Home Rule means Rome Rule", the Rome Rule actually turned those in the south off religion quicker than up north in the end. On a grand scale, the lack of separation between church and state in European countries put us all off religion quicker than the USA that actually had separation of church and state enshrined in the constitution. A freemarket of religion in the states meant more forceful marketing, competing and conversion by religions leading to much more fundamentalism.

That would depend on your interpretation of 'Ireland' and 'Home Rule'.

If you are you referring to the Freestate then yes, Home Rule was Rome Rule.

If you are referring to northern Ireland which also got Home Rule then you are wrong.

Of course, Home Rule worked out differently on both sides of the border, each were equally disastrous and the only people to blame for that are those who created the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The OO shouldn't be allowed operate in the Republic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

iDave wrote: »
    The OO shouldn't be allowed operate in the Republic anyway.

I am certainly not a lover of the OO and as far as I know they are not amn illegal organisation.

So what law would cover not allowing them in the Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I am certainly not a lover of the OO and as far as I know they are not amn illegal organisation.

So what law would cover not allowing them in the Republic

I'm not saying they are an illegal organisation. I'm saying they should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 derrydavid

Can't say I'm to upset to see a building that represents sectarianism being burnt to the ground.

In Donegal such buildings are used by both communities and far from representing secterianism then tend to host events that bring various groups together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

derrydavid wrote: »
    In Donegal such buildings are used by both communities and far from representing secterianism then tend to host events that bring various groups together.
    I see this coming up a lot in this thread can u name any event that catholics are welcome to in this hall (its certainly not band practice anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Take it you will want the Hibernians banned as well then

martyo wrote: »
    I see this coming up a lot in this thread can u name any event that catholics are welcome to in this hall (its certainly not band practice anyway)

The halls are used for loads of community based stuff..... Slimming groups , Womens groups , Zumba classes etc etc .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

On what basis?

The halls are used for loads of community based stuff..... Slimming groups , Womens groups , Zumba classes etc etc .......
    You say the halls here, im on about the one burnt down in convoy not any of the rest of them, as i dont live there i dont know if these classes happen down there so would you have facebook links or anything so i can see for myself many thanks

You say the halls here, im on about the one burnt down in convoy not any of the rest of them, as i dont live there i dont know if these classes happen down there so would you have facebook links or anything so i can see for myself many thanks

Yeah sorry I can speak for Convoy specifically but I'm aware of a few others where for sure this happens (Newtoncunningham , St Johnston). Based on reports I have heard on local radio with locals it would appear that the same is true of Convoy.

Yeah sorry I can speak for Convoy specifically but I'm aware of a few others where for sure this happens (Newtoncunningham , St Johnston). Based on reports I have heard on local radio with locals it would appear that the same is true of Convoy.
    From talking to a good few people down that way it seems there opinions differ very much to the people that went on to local radio, and anyhow the people that went on the radio would not get much sympathy now if they said they didnt want catholics in it.

From talking to a good few people down that way it seems there opinions differ very much to the people that went on to local radio, and anyhow the people that went on the radio would not get much sympathy now if they said they didnt want catholics in it.

The people including the Priest from the area must have been paid to say otherwise then ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

OOOOOHHHHHH please, the people on here saying the halls would not let Catholics use it would stand open armed if the shoe were on the other foot? I think not. Bigotry on both sides there is no denying it. Wrongs were done to both sides, there is still narrow mindedness on both sides, plain to be seen in any discussion on the subject here. It's the same people for and against. Grow up and move on and stop trying to pass on your bitterness on to others.

• Advertisement

The people including the Priest from the area must have been paid to say otherwise then ......
    Well i dont know about you but its been a long time since i believed anything a priest told me and with priests these days i wouldnt be suprised at them taking backhanders:P But in truth i would not be totally convinced by the do gooders that speak out on these things but if you want to believe the people who run/own the hall are the salt of the earth then go ahead.

Well i dont know about you but its been a long time since i believed anything a priest told me and with priests these days i wouldnt be suprised at them taking backhanders:P But in truth i would not be totally convinced by the do gooders that speak out on these things but if you want to believe the people who run/own the hall are the salt of the earth then go ahead.

And in turn I'm never quite convinceed by people on the Internet who say they have "spoken" to a few "people" from down there. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mind made up already type opinions.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

so you come on here and present this as fact and were supposed to believe you but when another side come back at you its hear say i know which side i believe il take the word of people i know rather than a poster on here.

K-9 wrote: »
    Mind made up already type opinions.
    Something quite ironic about this post your mind seems allready made up

Advertisement