Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian PM

Options
  • 03-10-2014 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Tony Abbott makes me feel l want Enda Kenny back. :)

I really feel a bit for anyone from the middle eastern community here at the minute.

A small section of Australia is very racist (minority) and this guy is stirring up their emotions like nobodies business, going to be a long summer I reckon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

jedi1997 wrote: »
    Tony Abbott makes me feel l want Enda Kenny back. :)

I really feel a bit for anyone from the middle eastern community here at the minute.

A small section of Australia is very racist (minority) and this guy is stirring up their emotions like nobodies business, going to be a long summer I reckon.

Agree. Not going to enjoy Australia day this year, I fear there will be similar scenes to the Cronulla riots, hope i'm wrong.
    There is a fine line between ISIL and your everyday Muslim but the current government seem to be tarring them with the same brush. As for the Jackie Lambie, seems to be her only agenda is racism and is gaining popularity by it.

Tensions are rife here at the moment, got in a bit of an argument with my in-laws the other night over their passive racist remarks that try to slip by as humour :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Tony Abbot is not the best PM and he comes up with some un-pm worthy comments.

In fairness though the ones stirring up racial tensions are the f**king headcases chopping the heads of Aid workers in the middle east.

The Majority of Aussies are well aware that the overwhelming Majority of Muslims in Australia want no part of Sharia Law or any variant thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Zambia wrote: »

In fairness though the ones stirring up racial tensions are the f**king headcases chopping the heads of Aid workers in the middle east.

The Majority of Aussies are well aware that the overwhelming Majority of Muslims in Australia want no part of Sharia Law or any variant thereof.

Agree.
    I think Australia is pretty unique in it has generally controlled immigration quite well to now and majority of people who come here embrace the Aussie way.
    Yes, there are quite a few non-politically correct people out there and Tony at times is guilty of it a bit but I think most people know that the extremist's are the minority. Problem is those few are so confrontational and instill such anger that combined with the Aussie "openness to speak their mind" things invariably spill over a bit. (try telling one not to!!)
    I do think though that if oz decided to up the ante a bit on "controls" that it would be a small price to pay, things are pretty messed up outside of oz at moment, if majority of people are good citizens they will put up with some inconvenience to protect their way of life.
    I look at it like having to take your boots and belt off at airport security...never had to do it until a few nutters fcukd it all up but small price to pay for security while flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

There's a few of those running around Australia as well I'd say, they only need to be lucky once where as the rest of us have to be lucky all the time.

Some of the Muslim community condemn extremists, but not enough either from fear of speaking out or they are not intrested in anything other than suits themselves. In the case of Numan Haider his Islamic community blamed the government, police, media everyone except the man himself.

As for Tony Abbott he is an awkward glipe sometimes but his speech on awarding the VC to Cameron Baird was second to none, he also made the decision to send troops/Airstrikes to destroy ISIS and is prepared to use an Iron hand against all levels of extremists. Like the man says you are either on Team Australia or your not which is fair enough.

As for the racists have no place, it's adds fuel to the fire and gives terrorists some kind of warped justification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Are these the same politicians who fabricated stories and rumours of paedophile rings operating in Aboriginal communities in the late 80s so they could put thousands of children into care to "whiten" them and they arrested hundreds of adults and forced many off the land they had because minerals had been found under the ground the aborigines lived on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Like the man says you are either on Team Australia or your not which is fair enough.
    I'm not for team Australia if it means the propagation of a climate of fear for political ends.
    I side with Julie Bishop when she states there's no justification for a Burka ban, it's a personal choice and treating it as otherwise makes Australia averse to personal liberty.

1737144_1544082159136866_256763840_a.jpg

JfNYBkr.jpg?1

Banning the burqa is not going to happen either, its a bit of right wing twaddle the press like to run with.

Jackie Lambbie was ranting on about opposing Sharia Law but when asked the question what was it she had no answer except

.....“Well, I think when it comes to sharia law, you know, to me, it’s ... it’s — obviously it involves ... terrorism.”

People are smarter than that (some are not but most are).

Like I said its never going to happen so it doesn't worry me.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Are these the same politicians who fabricated stories and rumours of paedophile rings operating in Aboriginal communities in the late 80s so they could put thousands of children into care to "whiten" them and they arrested hundreds of adults and forced many off the land they had because minerals had been found under the ground the aborigines lived on?
    Not one arrest followed the "intervention". Scum politicking.
    As for beheadings that was standard practice during the frontier wars which just don't get a mention even though tens of thousands of Australians died defending their territories. Yagans head was even sold and toured for profit!

Banning the burqa is not going to happen either, its a bit of right wing twaddle the press like to run with.

Jackie Lambbie was ranting on about opposing Sharia Law but when asked the question what was it she had no answer except

.....“Well, I think when it comes to sharia law, you know, to me, it’s ... it’s — obviously it involves ... terrorism.”

People are smarter than that (some are not but most are).

Like I said its never going to happen so it doesn't worry me.
    This is about the PM who stated his personal preference.
    By7ANv2CMAA5V0e.jpg

Having your face covered when you approach some one is confronting, soldiers are trained to remove even their sunglasses when conversing with the public to establish trust.

Its hard to trust someone when you cant see their face. Ergo its confronting

It is what it is.

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    I'm not for team Australia if it means the propagation of a climate of fear for political ends.

I agree the term is political, but as it's political it shows backbone and is a battle line drawn in sand you're either with us or against us and had no-partisan support.The fear is already real and has been for some time the whole world can't be wrong Islamic extremism is a cancer to the world and needs to be cut out.

Back in 1939 a lot of the allies pussy footed around what's was happening in Germany unwilling to commit in case it inflamed the situation... The end result was the same anyway.

Back in 1939 a lot of the allies pussy footed around what's was happening in Germany unwilling to commit in case it inflamed the situation... The end result was the same anyway.
    Remember that guy who ran Germany who found minorities to be "confronting", he went around vilifying them, laballing them ungerman before launching a war against them.

You made the analogy, I followed.

Having your face covered when you approach some one is confronting, soldiers are trained to remove even their sunglasses when conversing with the public to establish trust.

Its hard to trust someone when you cant see their face. Ergo its confronting

It is what it is.

I find bad botox more confronting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Tony Abbot is doing all he can to protect all Australians.

The government has revised the laws that cover terrorism to cover all Australians.

Terrorists = radicalised muslims...fact

Why do muslims think that they are being targeted unfairly in these laws, and in anti-terrorist raids.

The laws are fair to all.

Where do muslims think these islamic terrorists come from, the christians, the jews, the Buddhists, the atheists or jedi knights.

If muslims feel vilified, then they are just showing paranoia.

Muslim community gathers to protest against anti-terror dawn raids.

Why would muslims protest against anti-terror raids?

The laws are there to protect them (muslims) also.

See in the vid below some muslim waving the black jihad flag! at a peaceful protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jedi1997

I think 99 % of Aussies are not bigots.

I have nothing but gratitude toward Australia.
    I hope it continues to be free and as such I hope to be able to be allowed voice my opinion.

I do think IS needs to be stood up to......I am not a soft liberal lefty either.
    But I do not agree with the current PM.

Thank you

jedi1997 wrote: »
    I think 99 % of Aussies are not bigots.

I have nothing but gratitude toward Australia.
    I hope it continues to be free and as such I hope to be able to be allowed voice my opinion.

I do think IS needs to be stood up to......I am not a soft liberal lefty either.
    But I do not agree with the current PM.

Thank you

What don't you agree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Firstly, the Liberals and Labor are both under the thumb of whoever is running the show in the States.

If you google John Howard and Stephen Harper you will see that they both read the exact(word for word) speech within 2 days of each other on why Iraq should be bombed.

Abbot or whoever will always be bombing for oil. I understand the reaction of the people there and an easy fix would be to stop bombing and invading those places....not going to happen though.

Secondly, I detest Islam. I detest how women USED to be treated also under Christianity hundreds of years ago. I went to study here with some Muslims and they were all nice but I remember when that movie showing Mohammed came out a few years back and I asked a Muslim guy what the deal was.....He said that doing that to his prophet was worse than killing his Dad....Ok, that's just one opinion....Just ask yourself when Muslims protest...is it 50/50 men/women.

I hope Muslims stay and eventually drop religion over the next few generations. I don't think Australians have any problems with anyone really...would a Muslim man drop his religion to marry a white atheist???? Doubt it.

At work I asked a Hindi and Buddhist woman would they mind if their kids married outside their religion...they said no...as long as it was not with a Muslim.

Don't let the news be your only way of building an opinion....talk to people.

Remember that guy who ran Germany who found minorities to be "confronting", he went around vilifying them, laballing them ungerman before launching a war against them.

You made the analogy, I followed.

The minority in question is confronting, they are being vilified and war has already been launched against them because some of them decided to make a cane for their own back. It's just not in Australia were they are being vilified (although we all know it would suit you better if it was) but in most other nations.

I think moderate Muslims have to have a change direction somewhere in the near future otherwise they are at risk of becoming a Pariah people around the world, it the 21st century no place for chopping heads off.

Like Zambia says most people find the Burqua confronting, the same way if someone was approached by a masked man in the 6 counties it would also be confronting.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm all for cultural liberties. I don't think being completely contrary to the established culture is a reason to ban something alone. I also know mist Muslims, in burqas are perfectly law abiding. But FFS, something's they really have idiotic ways of going about things. Like;

Refusing to take off a burqa when a policeman wants to confirm your identity.
    Refusing to take off a burqa in sensitive environments. Etc etc

There's standing up for your culture, and there's being an idiot.
    Too many idiots out there, so my view is to get rid of it.

Mellor wrote: »
    Refusing to take off a burqa when a policeman wants to confirm your identity.
    Refusing to take off a burqa in sensitive environments. Etc etc
    Same applies to people with motorcycle helmets so it's not a matter of religion although some seem to think it is. I think the current climate of fear is more a reflection of Australian insularity than anything else.
    benson-liam-manize-abedin_ned-and-fatima.jpg
    Finland and Ireland supply more fighters in Syria per head of muslim population than Australian yet there isn't the same existential crisis.
    Even the UK voted against action in Syria yet Australia kneejerked past voting on it.
    Anyway after islam has been trashed out then it will be return to trashing Aboriginals so nothing new here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

He is this decades George Bush, if brain cells were sticks he could not start a fire...

I side with Julie Bishop when she states there's no justification for a Burka ban, it's a personal choice and treating it as otherwise makes Australia averse to personal liberty.

I can't see the Burqa being banned, I mean it's not as if Australia is as bad on Liberties as France, Germany, Russia, Spain, Italy, Belgium and The Netherlands (a whole lot of Mother Europa in there) that have full or partial bans on face coverings, and with the rise of the Right in Europe it ain't going to improve anytime soon for Minorities, incidentally all those countries have had a major influx of Immigrants both Legal and Illegal, interesting way of dealing with Immigrants and their descendants.

benson-liam-manize-abedin_ned-and-fatima.jpg

Interesting you put up a picture of a cowardly criminal with a Muslim woman, any messages you are trying to get across?

The Aussie wrote: »
    Interesting you put up a picture of a cowardly criminal with a Muslim woman, any messages you are trying to get across?

Yes he likes his illustrations so in an illustration as usual it simply means

2qs2oZw.jpg?

It's just not in Australia were they are being vilified (although we all know it would suit you better if it was) but in most other nations.
    I don't understand what this means, how does anyone benefit?

The climate of fear continues.

3FrLUsi.jpg

Finland and Ireland supply more fighters in Syria per head of muslim population than Australian yet there isn't the same existential crisis.

You are not even trying to compare like for like here, what you are attempting to do is compare Apples with the 1962 Russian Olympic Gymnastic Team...

Have Finland or Ireland had specific threat made by ISIS or its supporters against them?*

Have Finland or Ireland made Terrorist related Arrests in their own Country?*
    (With even more made today.)

Have Finland or Ireland Charged residents in their own Country with Terrorism related offences?*

* Of course we are talking about ISIS and their wannabes here, and not the scummy drug running IRA.

What your above post is here is just a Rabble Rabble type post and just shows your blinkered view of Australia, I fail to see why a person would stay in a Country they don't like, life is just to short, maybe that action alone speaks volumes.

The climate of fear continues.

In an Oppinion Piece on page 13 of The Herald Sun, never known for its lack of sensationalism now is it :rolleyes:

Well Aussie aren't all westerners and the wrong type of muslim all condemned by the ISIS nutters? Australia isn't unique.

Just for some perspective.

terror-copy.jpg

I don't get your "Perspective" statistics to be honest, it's got nothing to do with the current atmosphere in relation to specific threats made against Australia and Australians.

I see you did not answer the questions about Finland and Ireland.

The Aussie wrote: »
    I don't get your "Perspective" statistics to be honest, it's got nothing to do with the current atmosphere in relation to specific threats made against Australia and Australians.

I see you did not answer the questions about Finland and Ireland.
    I did. All westerners and wrong type of muslims are fair game as far as those nutters are concerned.
    The Aussie wrote:
    What your above post is here is just a Rabble Rabble type post and just shows your blinkered view of Australia, I fail to see why a person would stay in a Country they don't like, life is just to short, maybe that action alone speaks volumes.
    Disagreeing with the current government isn't unAustralian.

After all if you oppose it it will still cost you.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-05/government-looks-for-budget-savings-to-fund-iraq-mission/5791202

• Advertisement

I did. All westerners and wrong type of muslims are fair game as far as those nutters are concerned.

Yehhhh, No you didn't, so I will just go and answer it for you to save some time while you avoid answering questions hey.

- No, Finland and Ireland have not had specific threats made against them or their citizens by ISIS and its supporters.

- No, Finland and Ireland have not made Terror related arrests in their own Country in relation to ISIS.

- No, Finland and Ireland have not charged any of their residents with Terrorism related offences in relation to ISIS.

Was that all that hard was it?
    Sort of makes the following a truly pointless opinion

So can you see why there is a different atmosphere in Australia compared to Finland and Ireland? I can keep on explaining it if needs be.

Advertisement