Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile providers

Options
  • 03-10-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Anyone know of a mobile provider that works across the EU?
    Vodafone contract is up and tbh I think their plans are rubbish and expensive.
    I have to go over to the UK quite a bit and they want to charge me 1.99 a day for 100mb of data and then 0.50c per mb after. What a load of rubbish.

I want to pay a monthly rate and not be worrying about whether I'm in Ireland or the UK or anywhere else in Europe for that matter.
    I hardly use the mobile for calls or texts, its the data I'm interested in.
    You'd think vodafone would offer uniformed pricing considering they own their network in Ireland & the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Almost all the companies charge a lot for data when abroad.
    The best seems to be 3, your data package works in UK, Italy, Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Hong Kong.
    A recent trip to Austria using data, emails, internet, and calls back to Ireland were all covered no extra charges even the SatNav on the phone.
    A call "home" from any of these countries just comes out of your minutes allowance, but a call in say the UK to a UK number counts as an international call.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

At the moment you will need to pay for roaming.
    Three were offering "free" roaming on their various networks, though I've no idea if they still do.
    Vodafone RED works very well if you are travelling a lot

If you're going to the UK regularly just get a UK SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Emobile is probably your best bet package I am on has 1500 minutes a month to use in eu or usa only bad thing is 250mb isn't very handy if you are away more than a day or two but sure there us always plenty of wifi knocking around. Think my package is 30ish a month for unlimited calls/texts and 15gb data plus the eu/us stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

EMobile have a business deal for €35+VAT per month.

It includes unlimited calls and texts in Ireland, Europe and the U.S. and 15gb data in Ireland and 250mb abroad. Here's the link (I'm mobile at the moment):

http://business.eircom.net/product/small-business-mobile-plan

The data allowance isn't great but better than some of the others. If you travel a lot to the same country, it might be worth buying a local data SIM card maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Emobile looks quite good. Anyone know if they use their own network or another?
    Vodafone is terrible where I live, o2 and three is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

Emobile use the Meteor network as far as I know. Here is the network map:

http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/coverage/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Meteor and eMobile are both Eircom companies using the same network. My experience of the coverage has been pretty good I signed up as soon as they launched 4G. The 4G network is superb when you have the coverage initially I found when you dropped off that it wasn't great but in the last few months it seems to have improved quite a bit. I have also found the customer service to be superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

We moved from vodafone about 3 years ago to emobile, we have been lucky enough that we have been able to retain our packages on each renewal. Our average bills were ~€300 inc vat per month, our packages were supposed to be "Tailored" but if you did the maths you would see huge surplus's of minutes etc..

We are on a Small business bundle:
    4x Subscribers @ 29.99 per month (ex vat), unlimited mobile, landline calls and 15gb data. Split between 12 and 18 months on some.

I would spent a bit of time in the north and can never say i have had a surprising bill, herself is on emobile as apart of the €24 a month deal from the house and during our week in the uk i think it went up to €30 in total. We did bring our Mifi Device and purchased a 3 Sim in Sainsburys £15 for 90 day 3gb data; Wasnt bad.

Advertisement