Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Apple iPad/Mac Event - October 16

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Apple might bankrupt me this year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sort of interested in an updated iPod Touch of some description. Have a Classic, but would like to explore other options. Sometimes refurbs pop on the store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Hoping the MacBook lineup sees some significant changes. Currently have mine up for sale and want to get a decent upgrade. Last updates were incremental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

DubDJ wrote: »
    Hoping the MacBook lineup sees some significant changes. Currently have mine up for sale and want to get a decent upgrade. Last updates were incremental.

There won't be a significant change to the macbook line because Intel's chips are delayed into next year, excluding the 12" retina macbook air, possibly, but the rumours have been very dry on that front as of late, too.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    There won't be a significant change to the macbook line because Intel's chips are delayed into next year, excluding the 12" retina macbook air, possibly, but the rumours have been very dry on that front as of late, too.

I think that's the reason for the smaller spec bump a few weeks back, but I've also seen the new 12" Retina could be held up by the same delay. The Intel chips are a big step up, also I'd like to see the new USB 3.1 ports too so I'm going to wait as long as I can before updating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

My 2008 MacBook Pro is getting a bit long in the tooth, despite upgrading it. Hello 27” retina iMac...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Better start brushing up on my Chinese if I'm to understand a word of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

There have been no rumours/leaks about a mac mini so there must be no chance of it happening. I have a macbook pro and a mac mini which I use at home about 50/50. I need to tidy up and get all my software on one machine and have it as my main computer. A mac mini with some more balls and that I can still open up would be great for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting for Broadwell chips for the Mini. Refreshing the current generation only a few months before a chip refresh isn't the smartest decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

mac mini with twin monitors will be my next setup
    hopefully soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I wonder is this actually taking place?
    It's just about a week away and no official word yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd love them to recreate the Mini in a NUC sized form factor. Maybe not quite as small as the NUC but if they could do that and make it fanless my wallet would open faster than a hooker drops her unmentionables! :)

dloob wrote: »
    I wonder is this actually taking place?
    It's just about a week away and no official word yet.

Invitations normally go out a week before the event, so check back tomorrow...

EDIT: Invitations are out!

invite1-420x226.jpg

Zcott wrote: »
    Invitations normally go out a week before the event, so check back tomorrow...

EDIT: Invitations are out!

invite1-420x226.jpg

Aha my plan worked, I just knew as soon as I said no invites yet they would send them out. :pac:

Now time to analyse what the invite says in minute detail.
    What could they mean by it's been way too long?
    Must be a reference to something non ipad, apple tv update maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I hope to Lucifer they give some bit of love to the mini. Yes, I know about the processor roadmaps but maybe a redesign with some speed bumps.
    Maybe it is a reference to the apple display? That thing has been knocking around for a long time.
    It's hardly the TV is it? It doesn't seem like that long ago when it got resized to the hockey puck size.
    At least the event has been confirmed.

Actually it's been a while since the iMacs have been updated too hasn't it?
    That's probably what they are referring to.

I reckon:

Updated Mac Mini, and a new form factor would put some gleam on a device that doesn't have the next gen Intel gear.

Retina Thunderbolt Displays, but could anything other than the Mac Pro power them? Reckon we'll see these for the Mac Pro until display prices come down / their other hardware moves up.

Updated iMac, but not retina. Seriously, that would just cost so so much money it's not feasible.

Also have the sneakiest of feelings of the iMac going back to being the "Apple Macintosh", but have nothing to back that up beyond a hunch.

Possible updated Apple TV – either a huge update or none, as there aren't any worthwhile incremental hardware updates they could make to the current gen. I don't think we'll see a full-blown Apple TV until Apple has their cloud data server centre built and they have the capability to stream all that content, so I'm leaning towards no update for aTV at all.

New iPads, would be surprised to see them introduce the fabled "12 MBA, as their laptop line is plenty diversified already, unless they scrap the non-retina 13" MBP altogether and the 11" MBA.

Oh, and new iPads with "Retina HD", if they can do that without changing the size of the display.

Edit: I thought about this instead of sleeping.

I don't know, retina iMacs seem quite likely now. I'd be surprised if they weren't there.

Not sure about a retina HD iPad though...it seems pretty good to me already, unless its for a new 12” iPad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If Retina iMacs happen they will be 4k, not 5k, making their claim to Retina questionable as they won't be twice the pixel density. 5k is off the table, at least in the iMac, due to the expense and the power draw. Maybe they don’t need to be 5k to be considered Retina in Apple-speak, but 4k will create resolution problems requiring scaling. I didn’t think Apple would go down this route, but as they showed with the iPhone 6 Plus they are open to using scaled resolutions.

Retina TB displays this round, retina iMacs in the future with Haswell.

Still don't see how anything other than the Mac Pro could push all those pixels to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Interesting.

If there's not an update to the current Macbook pro's (I'm looking at getting a 13" one), do you reckon it's still worth forking out for at this stage?

SuperOito wrote: »
    Interesting.

If there's not an update to the current Macbook pro's (I'm looking at getting a 13" one), do you reckon it's still worth forking out for at this stage?

I'm in a similar situation and the last update was a spec bump, I'm holding out until they make a major change, even if it's looking like 2015.

I got a refurb model at a great price, it's absolutely perfect. Worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

DubDJ wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation and the last update was a spec bump, I'm holding out until they make a major change, even if it's looking like 2015.

I'll hang on if it's around Feb, but any later and I'll just go with what's there now. It's been too long since I've had a Mac. :(

Advertisement