Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you still wear a nightcap ?

• 03-10-2014 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

While I eschew one during the summer months, this sudden jolt into Autumn prompts thoughts of donning the nightcap again. But it seems fewer and fewer are these days. For what its worth, cotton rather than wool always.
    So, do you still wear yours ?

Do you wear a nightcap during the cold months 52 votes

Yes. Essential bed attire
    0% 0 votes
    No. I'm missing out
    21% 11 votes
    Spectravideo 318
    78% 41 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Ah what do you mean still..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

You wear a hat to bed? Or have you spilled your brandy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

No, its not the 1890's and I have this thing called central heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Only when camping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

When I hear about nightcaps I always think about this lovely spot

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/The-Night-Cap-Bar-Dunkitt-Co-Kilkenny/53275/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I was born in 1944 and have never heard of anybody wearing a nightcap apart from my grandfather in the 1880s. You can't be serious in this age of heated homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

I sometimes wear an extra pair of socks, but no, never a beanie hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yep.

And long johns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I had to Google nightcap. Thought it was a drink :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I had to Google nightcap. Thought it was a drink :o
    Really ?

What do you call it ? https://www.google.ie/search?q=nightcap&biw=1366&bih=698&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-O4uVLCyMbHB7AbxkYHoBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

You'd look like some plank in one of those in fairness..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You'd look like some plank in one of those in fairness..

I bet hipsters wear them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I used to but my butler puts far too much starch in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

While I eschew one during the summer months, this sudden jolt into Autumn prompts thoughts of donning the nightcap again. But it seems fewer and fewer are these days. For what its worth, cotton rather than wool always.

Is your name Ebeneezer Scrooge by any chance?

Ebenezer-Scrooge---so-not-010.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Don't mind these peasants OP, bloody great unwashed not wearing nightcaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Two hot water bottles (one at my feet, one under my back), long johns, thermal vest, pyjamas...

No nightcap, unless OP you mean a small glass of brandy the odd time, but that's before I go to bed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

We have the cows underneath our bedroom so its always lovely and warm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Lalealynn

No I put the covers over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I sometimes wear an extra pair of socks, but no, never a beanie hat.

Socks? In bed?? wtf???

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Socks? In bed?? wtf???

Don't diss it till one has tried it. Some of us have terrible circulation and require extra cover for our toes!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Socks? In bed?? wtf???

I know. :D

Stockings man. Stockings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Sky King wrote: »
    When I hear about nightcaps I always think about this lovely spot

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/The-Night-Cap-Bar-Dunkitt-Co-Kilkenny/53275/

Ah yes it used the nightly meeting spot for drink-drivers anonymous (south KK/Waterford branch)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

If it's really cold, I will wear a hoody with the hood pulled up. I love a pair of socks in bed! Cosy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I wouldn't go to bed without my nightcap. Jameson do nice ones, or Powers. They help me sleep. Stop the head from churning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Always wear a night cap in winter, otherwise I get a head cold.

For a long time it was a simple cotton one, but last year I bought a lovely silk Balaclava in Great Outdoors, it's fabulous.

I live in a cold house.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

ElleEm wrote: »
    If it's really cold, I will wear a hoody with the hood pulled up. I love a pair of socks in bed! Cosy!

So just the hoodie and the socks?

Look kind of funny if there was some sort of emergency in the night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I was born in 1944 and have never heard of anybody wearing a nightcap apart from my grandfather in the 1880s. You can't be serious in this age of heated homes.

Well in fariness... I lived in a right Celtic Tiger crap-orama apartment during college. During the bad Winter of 2010 I wore a hat and was fully clothed going to bed. The housemates did the same. The place had no bloody heating and the walls were of cardboard quality, no insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I knew I'd read something about night caps recently. From Nicholas Nickleby:
    I know you'll excuse me, Nicholas, my dear, but I don't like to do this before a third person; indeed, before a young man it would not be quite proper, though really after all, I don't know what harm there is in it, except that to be sure it's not a very becoming thing, though some people say it is very much so, and really I don't know why it should not be, if it's well got up, and the borders are small-plaited; of course, a good deal depends upon that."

With which preface Mrs. Nickleby took her nightcap from between the leaves of a very large prayer-book where it had been folded up small, and proceeded to tie it on: tailing away in her usual discursive manner, all the time.

"People may say what they like," observed Mrs. Nickleby, "but there's a great deal of comfort in a night-cap, as I'm sure you would confess, Nicholas my dear, if you would only have strings to yours, and wear it like a Christian, instead of sticking it upon the very top of your head like a blue-coat boy; you needn't think it an unmanly or quizzical thing to be particular about your night-cap, for I have often heard your poor dear papa, and the reverend ... say, that the young men at college are uncommonly particular about their night-caps, and that the Oxford night-caps are quite celebrated for their strength and goodness; so much so, indeed, that the young men never dream of going to bed without'em, and I believe it's admitted on all hands that they know what's good, and don't coddle themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Never felt the need for one, since my head never gets cold. I have the opposite problem: head hot, feet cold. :(

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I only wear my underjocks to bed at night because i'm an actual grown man.

Seriously? Hoodies? Socks?

Why not just wear a ****ing tuxedo?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Still? Lol that's a good one!

As others allude to the only one I've ever had is a whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I wear a top hat and tails, if that counts. Only in débutante season, mind. I'm not uncouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No, the onion on my belt keeps me warm enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

So just the hoodie and the socks?

Look kind of funny if there was some sort of emergency in the night :)

I need to allow for easy access to the important bits ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nightcap ?

Marks brothers mirror scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I have one of these and a long nightcap to match, but never wear that night-cap.
    Only ever wear something over my head at night if I've a headcold, as the heat escapes through the head and it keeps me well warm then so it does.

So no, don't wear the night-cap, but it does look cute,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement