Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes damaged 6 weeks old. What are my rights?

Options
  • 03-10-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I bought my toddler a pair of Clarks leather shoes 6 weeks ago on 28 August from a Clarks shop. Today I noticed that the front toe area has completely burst open. I would assume there was some fault with the shoe. Both shoes have very light wear but are hardly fit for purpose if the front of one can rip right open.
    What are my rights for returning? I have original box & proof of purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Show them to the shop first. They may well agree with you. Keep calm and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

+1 on the above. They will likely replace them for you, or offer an alternative if out of stock. 6 weeks is not reasonable, even for the most adventurous toddler :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 YOMMY

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go to the shop today & will hopefully get a replacement pair.
    Is this something the shop are obliged to do or is it going to come down to whether they are willing to or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

YOMMY wrote: »
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to go to the shop today & will hopefully get a replacement pair.
    Is this something the shop are obliged to do or is it going to come down to whether they are willing to or not?

If there's a fault with a product that wasn't caused by the consumer, then the retailer may offer one of the three r's (repair, replace, refund) as a remedy. Usually if the item is fixable then they'll be repaired (basically they'll be sent to the cobbler for you for free), if not then they can replace them or refund them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

My experience with Clarks in the past says they will go the replacement route, trying to keep you as their loyal customer. They want to be seen as the go to place for good quality footwear at decent prices. I would be surprised if they gave you a repair option. Unless it was a local shop, I would consider that as a big inconvenience.

When you go to return them. Hopefully there are a few people in the shop and you speak loud and clear ;)

Be polite and seek a speedy resolution.

Good luck op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 YOMMY

Clarks replaced the shoes no problem for me. I did get a bit of a lecture about minding these ones better, but the manager was pleasant about the whole thing.
    Thanks for everyone's help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

YOMMY wrote: »
    Clarks replaced the shoes no problem for me. I did get a bit of a lecture about minding these ones better, but the manager was pleasant about the whole thing.
    Thanks for everyone's help.

If I was you I would check the brakes on his/her bike :rolleyes:

Advertisement