Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting spent brass

Options
  • 03-10-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

OCD about leaving fired brass scattered around so I've amassed quite a collection of .204

Are there any restrictions on sending it cross borders to someone who can use it for reloading , say in NI or UK?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No restrictions in the North, but as it's component parts of ammo here you need to permanently export it. It's free, and quite quick to get the export forms so within a week you can be sorted. Also make sure not to post via An Post. not sure about their policy on carrying ammo, so best to use a courier that can deal in firearms and ammo. If you don't know any maybe someone here can help or contact your local RFd and he'll give you the one he uses.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Thanks Cass. I'll get talking to my RFD as he regular posts ammo. It's all hypothetical at the moment anyway

Your RFD might be able to do it easier and quicker if you know him well enough. Then whomever you want to give it to in the North simply collects it from the dealer up there. Not sure about your RFD sending it directly to the person, but as the laws up north about shells, bullets, etc are different than down here it might be doable.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

i have also wodered abou this cass, i have just moved to germany and have 5 or 600 empty .308 cases i want to bring over here so i can reload. If i am over with the car on the ferry collecting stuff and i fell out the export form is it ok to take them with me in the car?:pac:

It's perfectly legal.

You just need to fill out the export form, inform the ferry company you have "ammo" in your car (they will insist on you giving them the keys for the duration of the sailing), and bring it with you.

The only issue with your situation, as i see it, is the end user. IOW who are you exporting them to? I've never done this, and in effect shipped to myself, so not sure on the details you'd fill out for the end user (person receiving them). However as you hold an Irish license, and are simply bringing them perhaps you would be better served getting an export form, and European firearms pass and simply declare you are bringing the "ammo" with you to Germany. How this plays out in Germany is again something i've not dealt with. Do you need a German license/visitor's pass, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

What do you do with spent brass if you're confined to the Republic where reloading ammo isn't allowed? (Correct me if I'm wrong on that.) Bring it to the recycling centre?

And isn't there also the issue that it's classed in the same way as live ammo, so that if you have a limit of 150 rounds, and have 100 unused rounds and 100 spent cases in the house, you're technically over the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Jayzesake wrote: »
    What do you do with spent brass if you're confined to the Republic where reloading ammo isn't allowed? (Correct me if I'm wrong on that.) Bring it to the recycling centre?

And isn't there also the issue that it's classed in the same way as live ammo, so that if you have a limit of 150 rounds, and have 100 unused rounds and 100 spent cases in the house, you're technically over the limit?

You are correct. You would most definitely be over the the limit in the case above and be open to prosecution.

Your recycling centre can't take the ammo either as they more than likely won't have a licence to take them. Strictly speaking, the recycling centre would be open to prosecution if they were caught with empty casings that they didn't have a licence for.

In the eyes of the law an empty shell = a firearm component = a fully operational firearm.

It's a silly situation but that's the way the law was written.

Some people dump their empty shells in the bin. To do it properly though, I dump my shells at the range. If you aren't a member of a range, I suppose a friendly gun dealer might get rid of them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I rang a few couriers and the recurring theme was hazardous substance and not something they'd handle so it's looking a non runner. Add in an export license and it's hardly worth giving them away at that rate. My dealer did say if there was anything to be gained out of it he'd be doing it. That kinda said it all there.
    Face to face collection seems to be the only viable method of transfer in this jurisdiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

I was reading on an engineering website there a few months ago about an Irish lad. He has a few thousand .308 shells and couple of thousand .223 and buckets of 22lrs.

He was looking for advice on melting it down into thin sheets and then make mecanno. The lads told him he couldnt just do it with a gas torch he'd need to build a forge and I think that put him off he didnt say too much after that. But I was thinking I wouldnt mind giving that a go myself instead just dumping it in the range bin.

Advertisement