Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Everton Match Thread. 5/10/'14 k/o 12.00 BT Sport.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I dont expect us to challenge for the title this year, Jose and the boys will run away it. I do however expect us to finish top 4. We look like such a dangerous attacking force but defensively we invited Everton in and only for the DDG show at best we would have gotten a draw.

Nice break now, hopefully get some of the injured players back to fitness and build from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Feels good to be back in the CL spots again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Utd still look very vulnerable. DDG despite all the praise for his shot stopping is unable or unwilling to help his defence out by commanding the area and coming for crosses, I thought a keeper like VDS would have taken the ball or Naismith's head or both rather than stand like a bloody statue on the line.

For all his critics I thought Valencia did a decent job today highlighted by the near fatal appearance of Fellaini. It might preserve his value more if Utd didn't play him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Zico wrote: »
    Utd still look very vulnerable. DDG despite all the praise for his shot stopping is unable or unwilling to help his defence out by commanding the area and coming for crosses, I thought a keeper like VDS would have taken the ball or Naismith's head or both rather than stand like a bloody statue on the line.

For all his critics I thought Valencia did a decent job today highlighted by the near fatal appearance of Fellaini. It might preserve his value more if Utd didn't play him.

United still have 3 senior centre backs out injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

It be great if we could go through one match thread, without Liverpool/United ****e coming into every poxy thread. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Zico wrote: »
    I thought a keeper like VDS would have taken the ball or Naismith's head or both
    Cross came quickly from a very deep angle, no keeper in the world goes for that or else they wind up in no man's land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Positives:
    3 points
    Falcao is off the mark
    McNair again quality
    Blind's best game so far

Negatives:
    Another defensive injury? (Shaw)
    Mata didn't really take his chance at no.10
    RVP was worryingly poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anyone else think de gea's last save was just a normal save you expect any decent keeper to make. It was no where near the corner and he actually dived under it. Like liverpool the result is more important so winning games you don't deserve to is what it's all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

It be great if we could go through one match thread, without Liverpool/United ****e coming into every poxy thread. Pathetic.

I'm not even joking if the mods could do one thing in here it would be to stop all this bull**** in match thread for Liverpool or United matchs. It's getting ****ing boring now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Fuhrer wrote: »
    United still have 3 senior centre backs out injured

Are they better than the ones out there?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

niallo27 wrote: »
    Anyone else think de gea's last save was just a normal save you expect any decent keeper to make. It was no where near the corner and he actually dived under it. Like liverpool the result is more important so winning games you don't deserve to is what it's all about.

He had been on the ground after Barry's shot coming off Blackett's backside so he got up well and it was a good save. Not world class or anything but far from routine, a very good save that needed to be made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

He had to get up from the ground to make it. I would expect him to make it though.

I think it's harsh to say we didn't deserve that though. Best team for 85 mins

8-10 wrote: »
    He had been on the ground after Barry's shot coming off Blackett's backside so he got up well and it was a good save. Not world class or anything but far from routine, a very good save that needed to be made

Ya it was a good save but one you would be disappointed with if he left in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

You're desperate to get something from this mach thread aren't you? :pac:

Am I right in thinking DDG's record at saving penalties isn't great?
    Can't remember him saving too many before today

I remember him saving one during the 8-3, cant think of any others

He had to get up from the ground to make it. I would expect him to make it though.

I think it's harsh to say we didn't deserve that though. Best team for 85 mins

Everton had their spells too. Maybe utd shaded it. Everton probably created the best chances with limited possession.

Doubtful he could even see the shot coming until it was right in front of him, a crowded penalty area can be a keepers worst enemy of those kinds of shots.

Schwiiing wrote: »

Not really just calling it as I see it.

• Advertisement

Everton had their spells too. Maybe utd shaded it. Everton probably created the best chances with limited possession.

Their spell was last 10 mins. Their goal came from nothing.

I think we watched a different match

The block by Blackett was just as important as the save as well. He launched himself in front of the ball.

I remember him saving one during the 8-3, cant think of any others

Ok apparently he has faced 10 penalties at united including today, and saved 3

Not too bad I guess

This is his first peno save of 2014

When a team loses 2-1. Misses a penalty and the opposition keeper is arguably man of the match you could argue they deserved something from the game.

Ok apparently he has faced 10 penalties at united including today, and saved 3

Not too bad I guess

This is his first peno save of 2014

I have no reference point for whether that is a good ratio, but I think I'd be pretty happy if he kept up a 30% save rate for pens.

When a team loses 2-1. Misses a penalty and the opposition keeper is arguably man of the match you could argue they deserved something from the game.

When a team loses 2-1.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭dubrov

Everton dominated the last 15.
    Don't think United dominated the first 75 but they shaded it.

I wouldn't be too positive on that performance if I was a United fan

When a team loses 2-1.....

You can get something from a game without deserving it. Football would be **** otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not a different match man, you were just wearing the wrong glasses.

liverpool-glasses-OLI-003-2.jpg

dubrov wrote: »
    Everton dominated the last 15.
    Don't think United dominated the first 75 but they shaded it.

I wouldn't be too positive on that performance if I was a United fan

I'm not being overly positive. And Everton's first real chance after the Falcao goal was on 84 minutes. Losing team peppers the goal in last 10 minutes is hardly cause for major concern either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Schwiiing wrote: »

The Peno was terrible, really weak from Baines and unlike him. 100% Keeper should save that if he guesses the right way.

• Advertisement

You can get something from a game without deserving it. Football would be **** otherwise.

But United deserved it. Where arw we going here?

I have no reference point for whether that is a good ratio, but I think I'd be pretty happy if he kept up a 30% save rate for pens.

Also I suppose it depends on the quality of penalties you face , so hard to say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

He saved one from RVP early in his Utd career, can't think of another of the top of my head. But how many keepers actually have a good penalty save ratio? The advantage is always with the penalty taker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

You couldn't argue that at all. Firstly they didn't miss the penalty in that DdG saved it. (Wasn't a pen imo either) The only way a team deserved something and dont get it is when they have a legit goal disallowed unfairly. Or concede an equally unfair goal etc.
    Everton scored less goals than United. Therefore they didn't deserve anything.

You deserve what you earn and United earned a victory

xx

-Yours forever,
    Timmyctc

I'm not being overly positive. And Everton's first real chance after the Falcao goal was on 84 minutes. Losing team peppers the goal in last 10 minutes is hardly cause for major concern either.

....but United didn't really create anything apart from the first goal either.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    You couldn't argue that at all. Firstly they didn't miss the penalty in that DdG saved it. (Wasn't a pen imo either) The only way a team deserved something and dont get it is when they have a legit goal disallowed unfairly. Or concede an equally unfair goal etc.
    Everton scored less goals than United. Therefore they didn't deserve anything.

You deserve what you earn and United earned a victory

xx

-Yours forever,
    Timmyctc

But you don't always earn what you deserve.

Nonsense, RVP and Falcao had about 5 or 6 decent chances in the first half alone, they were just very wasteful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That was a very unconvincing win for Utd against an insipid Everton side .
    It was like a training match for most of the match,there was almost no intensity .

Only for De Gea making three outstanding saves things could have been very different .
    I dont think Howard had a save to make all day .

Nonsense, RVP and Falcao had about 5 or 6 decent chances in the first half alone, they were just very wasteful

Did you actually watch the game?

I can remember Falcao taking a couple of wild swipes, one of which went out for a corner. Nothing where you'd expect him to score though.

If I didn't check the teamsheet I wouldn't have known RVP played,

shrewdness wrote: »
    He saved one from RVP early in his Utd career, can't think of another of the top of my head. But how many keepers actually have a good penalty save ratio? The advantage is always with the penalty taker.

The average ratio for all keepers in the Premiership from 2002/03 to the start of this season was 11.3% (189 of 1,666) so yeah 30% is very good.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Penalty_Statistics.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Falcao shinned a couple of good chances before he scored.

Did you actually watch the game?

I can remember Falcao taking a couple of wild swipes, one of which went out for a corner. Nothing where you'd expect him to score though.

If I didn't check the teamsheet I wouldn't have known RVP played,

No, I didnt watch the game, I just made that all up...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It was like a training match for most of the match,there was almost no intensity .

Only for De Gea making three outstanding saves things could have been very different .

Yeah he did, he just didn't save them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Falcao's header early on and Di Maria's deflected free kick both forced Howard into very good saves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Great to be in the top 4 again. Should now push on and cement our place there. The increase in sniping and the clutching at straws is a sign of United moving in the right direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

If United won this comfortably the thread would have died off long ago. Because people were getting their hopes up for what seemed like an inevitable Everton equaliser, there is butt-hurt aplenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah he did, he just didn't save them.

Apart from the two goals and Di Maria's free kick in the first half Howard had nothing to do .
    Utd only had 4 shots on target in the whole match .

Apart from the two goals and Di Maria's free kick in the first half Howard had nothing to do .
    Utd only had 4 shots on target in the whole match .

Everton only had 4 shots on target as well

• Advertisement

If United won this comfortably the thread would have died off long ago. Because people were getting their hopes up for what seemed like an inevitable Everton equaliser, there is butt-hurt aplenty.

And it's GLORIOUS!

Must have been ready to leap off their seats when Baines was stepping up to the penalty, and been giddy as children at Christmas as Everton threatened late on. Now they're all cranky because someone ate their donut. :pac:

Advertisement