Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs. Arsenal match thread. 5/10/14 2.05pm (SS1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The problem for Arsenal I think is the manager.

Wenger has been there too long and hasn't adapted to the changes in the game.
    His big signing Ozil hasn't delivered most of the time - whether that's because Wenger doesn't know how to play him or he just hasn't adapted to the English game - and most teams have long figured out how to play against them.

Personally I'm amazed the club has stuck by him but new blood is definitely needed in the manager's chair imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Oh my God.
    Maybe we shouldn't have turned up then :rolleyes:

Wait, I thought that's what Arsenal did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Blatant red :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

**** off Welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's a red card for Welbeck too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Let him know you're there Danny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Filthy tackle by Welbeck.

Joke that Cahill and him haven't seen red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's even worse than Cahill's.

Lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Arsenal cannot even give their manager a decent 45mins - it must hurt knowing you cannot stick it in the face of a guy who calls you a failure. Such a predictable result its sad that Arsenal simply lack the bottle in these games.

People blaming Ozil as the fall guy every week should cop on, the whole team are a collective bunch of bottlers. Soft centre soft team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

His big signing Ozil hasn't delivered most of the time - whether that's because Wenger doesn't know how to play him or he just hasn't adapted to the English game - and most teams have long figured out how to play against them.

Personally I'm amazed the club has stuck by him but new blood is definitely needed in the manager's chair imo.
    No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Blatant red :pac:

Thank fcuk your not reffing this we be down to 7 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

That should be 8 men left on the field for Arsenal if there was a competent ref doing this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Referee could have sent Welbeck off there, it wouldnt have ruined the game as it almost over anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

About as fair as Oscar still being on.

The ref is fairly clueless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just as well he was offside coz that was the miss of the season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'd be inclined to agree. We have the players bar maybe a DM.

He meant it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Costa :eek:

At least he was offside :pac:

• Advertisement

That should be 8 men left on the field for Arsenal if there was a competent ref doing this match.

Sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

At least the ref is consistent. That's something, I suppose.

Lol at Costa. Pulling a Torres.

The FA cup win was the ideal time for Wenger to go and leave another man take the reigns last season but so long as he makes the 3m in 'consultancy fees' for Silent Stan and keeps the club in profit then they'll see no reason to get rid of him. The needs of the club and the fans will always come second under the current regime.

Crackle wrote: »
    At least the ref is consistent. That's something, I suppose.

Lol at Costa. Pulling a Torres.

He was off hes grand

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Melo during the week, Cahill and Welbeck today. How are they getting away with these obvious red card tackles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Lucky boy, Diego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Oh my God.
    Maybe we shouldn't have turned up then :rolleyes:

They've been nearly unbeatable today. We've been quite good, I don't think there's anyone you could really say has made mistakes for us.

Obviously someone could've produced some moment of magic for us, but that's what it would've taken. Hazard provided that for Chelsea, and that was the difference. The second goal only occurred because we were chasing the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

That'll do nicely.

They've been nearly unbeatable today. We've been quite good, I don't think there's anyone you could really say has made mistakes for us.

Obviously someone could've produced some moment of magic for us, but that's what it would've taken. Hazard provided that for Chelsea, and that was the difference. The second goal only occurred because we were chasing the game.

They werent that good in all honesty. Just played a very naive stupid team

Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Classy jose

• Advertisement

Well done Chelsea, great team definitely looking at the PL winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Decent win and another clean sheet. Happy days

Clean sheet, 3pts. Good weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Oh that's satisfying.

Chelsea will win this league at a canter- could even go unbeaten. Fabregas and Costa great signings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Have to say I have a huge amount of Love for Mourinho. Used to hate Chelsea but with players like Hazard and Ivanovic (<3) I actually like seeing them win. Obviously I hope they get embarrassed against United but that's for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ridiculous first question from Jeff as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ozil should have been in the middle or else on the bench.
    We have not had ONE shot on target.
    We took off the wrong players.
    Yes everyone has been brilliant FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

They werent that good in all honesty. Just played a very naive stupid team

Not going forward, no, but defensively that was as disciplined a performance as I've ever seen.

I didn't say they'd beat anyone. Just that they looked unbeatable, in that I don't think anyone would've beaten them. A draw was definitely possible, and I think would've been the result if not for Hazard's little moment of magic.

You know how mediocre arsenal are now with the amount of English players in the team

• Advertisement

I think Matic played very well today and shows what a good cm can bring to a team. Had Arsenal a figure like Matic next to Wilshire theyed have been a different prospect.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

As far as I could see we only had the most possession in the 2nd half because that was what the Chelsea game plan entailed as soon as they took the lead. We never really looked like getting result, only positive I can take is it wasn't embarrassing like last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

He's a dead beat at this stage, he's not cut out for this level anymore.

He's so predictable, consistently poor signings along zero backbone.

Another failure for Wenger against Chelsea and the league out of the question already, in fact they'll struggle for top 4 this season, more often than not they are always hovering around 4th and cutting it fine, this is all Wenger can really do for Arsenal now, maybe get lucky in a second rate cup competition if he gets lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

He's a dead beat at this stage, he's not cut out for this level anymore.

He's so predictable, consistently poor signings along zero backbone.

Another failure for Wenger against Chelsea and the league out of the question already, in fact they'll struggle for top 4 this season, more often than not they are always hovering around 4th and cutting it fine, this is all Wenger can really do for Arsenal now, maybe get lucky in a second rate cup competition if he gets lucky.

Yup, Sanchez, Chambers and Welbeck are all poor signings, great point. If you're going to attack Wenger, attack his tactical stubborness because it's glaringly obvious that's where we're failing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

in fact they'll struggle for top 4 this season

They have qualified for the Champions League for the last sixteen years in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

In fact they'll struggle for top 4 this season

Been hearing this for years, want a wager? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Disappointing and so predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Mezcita wrote: »
    They have qualified for the Champions League for the last sixteen years in a row.

Your point being?
    OP said they would struggle for it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Good performance. Tight game, but ultimately comfortable.

If there are criticisms, Schurrle was poor. He had movement, but his decision-making was mediocre.

I enjoyed Oscar's and Ivan's performances.

Not necessary to praise Cesc, Costa and Hazard!

Hope Courtois is OK.

Advertisement