Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dog in my garden

• 03-10-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Neighbours dog keeps getting into my garden, and I think he may have gotten my dog pregnant. She's currently in heat and the neighbours dog got at her. What is the general course of action? He's a mongrel, and mine is a 6 generation pure breed Samoyed. What responsibilities currently lie with my neighbour? Also, will my dog be removed from the Irish kennel club as she has bred with a mongrel.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Neighbours dog keeps getting into my garden, and I think he may have gotten my dog pregnant. She's currently in heat and the neighbours dog got at her. What is the general course of action? He's a mongrel, and mine is a 6 generation pure breed Samoyed. What responsibilities currently lie with my neighbour? Also, will my dog be removed from the Irish kennel club as she has bred with a mongrel.

Thanks for any advice.

Not sure on the KC side of things, but this is probably next to nothing to do with your neighbour. Dogs have been known to scale 8 foot fences and stick their bits through galvanised wire just to get a bitch pregnant. You shouldn't be leaving her anywhere unattended when she is in heat. I doubt they'd remove her from the KC though, since she is still a pedigree Samoyed nomatter what she has mated with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You'll need to get yourself down the vets tomorrow, there is an injection that can be given to prevent implantation but it's important it's given asap after mating, as in 72 hours. Actually I'm not sure if this is recommended anymore but either way, your vet should be your first port of call for advice.

This is nothing to do with your neighbour. Your bitch is in heat, you should have kept her secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Toulouse wrote: »
    You'll need to get yourself down the vets tomorrow, there is an injection that can be given to prevent implantation but it's important it's given asap after mating.

This is nothing to do with your neighbour. Your bitch is in heat, you should have kept her secure.

Ugh no need for this not the pups fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Yep, call your vet first thing, she can be given the mismate injection, so there will be no pups.

Your dog is IKC registered, no matter what happens, nothing can change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

PucaMama wrote: »
    What would you suggest the OP does with the pups? Rescues are overwhelmed with dogs and pups that nobody wants. Allowing a litter of unwanted pups to be born is just adding to the problem. Of course the bitch shouldn't have been left unattended, but there's no point in laying blame, the damage may have been done so it's a question of damage limitation now, if she's pregnant.

• Advertisement

What would you suggest the OP does with the pups? Rescues are overwhelmed with dogs and pups that nobody wants. Allowing a litter of unwanted pups to be born is just adding to the problem. Of course the bitch shouldn't have been left unattended, but there's no point in laying blame, the damage may have been done so it's a question of damage limitation now, if she's pregnanti.

Hes only interested in getting rid of the pups because there not purebred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Possibly. But presumably if the OP decided to breed their bitch they would have homes lined up before going breeding.

kylith wrote: »
    Possibly. But presumably if the OP decided to breed their bitch they would have homes lined up before going breeding.

I wouldn't say anyone who would leave her unsupervised when she's in hear would be one to plan so far ahead :( poor dog will pay the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I wouldn't say anyone who would leave her unsupervised when she's in hear would be one to plan so far ahead :( poor dog will pay the price

Ah grow up ffs. It was an accident and thankfully there are means to prevent the worst outcome coming true.

The same option would be discussed if it was a human.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Ah grow up ffs. It was an accident and thankfully there are means to prevent the worst outcome coming true.

The same option would be discussed if it was a human.

Ugh maybe by you it would be.

It's the dog that will have to go thru this I feel sorry for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

For all we know she was in the garden for a short while for a toilet break. When I was a kid we didn't realise our dog was in heat until we found a stray male that had scaled a 6' wall into a totally enclosed garden to get at her.

Terminating the pregnancy would be the best thing to do, if it is possible, and I would encourage the OP to read up on what is involved in breeding and to seriously consider neutering if they don't intend to breed in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don't you mean it's not the tiny bundle of potentially viable cells fault?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Very possibly, but, why not? Its very difficult to find good, forever homes for pb dogs, even harder for crosses.

Personally, having dealt with both scenarios with rescue dogs, it is far less stressful and harmful for a dog to have a couple of injections, than go through pregnancy, whelping, raising a litter of pups and then having them taken away from her. We don't know how big the neighbour's dog is, the bitch may have problems giving birth if the dog is much bigger than her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Go through what? An injection? Many female dogs are neutered which is a much bigger job and much harder on them than an injection.
    I'm sure there is an anti-dog-abortion group somewhere you could join.

Advertisement