Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner permit holder getting own insurance. Possible?

• 03-10-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hiya all,

So I'm a 23 year old female with the intention of starting to learn how to drive.
    I hold a learner's permit right now and I'm not in the position to get on a fully-licenced driver's insurance and so I'm wondering is it possible to get insurance on my own without it costing me an arm and a leg? Have Aviva stopped doing that insurance + lessons deal?

Also, if anyone could recommend good "first cars" that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

I would recommend First Ireland for insurance. You get a better price on insurance and a further discount if you take lessons with one of their listed ADIs.

For the car 1 to 1.2lt engine; Fiesta, Yaris, i20, Starlet, Micra, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

I would recommend First Ireland for insurance. You get a better price on insurance and a further discount if you take lessons with one of their listed ADIs.

For the car 1 to 1.2lt engine; Fiesta, Yaris, i20, Starlet, Micra, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pistolero

Could I suggest you price around and take all factors into consideration before committing to an insurance company "discount". Look at what you are getting off the policy compared to what you can get elsewhere using an instructor of your choice- look at what the payments expectations are, ie, an upfront payment for a course of lessons (EDT+) and no recourse to change you mind if you are not satisfied. There may also be requirements regarding the insurance cover you driver who accompanies may need from certain insurances- bottom line - big money outlay- take your time - check out all the options- make a list- compare- then decide. Good luck with you driving- stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Hi OP, I was in your position last year. 24 years old, no driving experience, had gotten the provisional licence a couple of years before but never done anything with it. Decided I would get on the road but neither I nor my boyfriend were comfortable with me learning in his 2008, 1.9L Golf.
    I went and did the lessons and then bought an old(ish) 1.4L Corolla. I got insurance from paylessdirect .ie, for about 1150 which was by far the lowest quote I could get.
    I added my boyfriend onto my insurance and that brought it down a bit, as he had about 6 years no claims bonus, so try quotes with a parent or even a friend on there as well, even if they're never going to sit behind the wheel.
    Hope that helps you, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nirzenra

Thank you all so much for your responses, guys. Really appreciate it!

From extensive advice, I think I might get put as a named driver under my father's policy as I've learned it'll mean cheaper insurance on my own in the future having no claims and that sorta craic (correct me if I'm wrong!), although I probably won't get much driving done as I live 30km+ away. However, it'll be handy for getting in a bit of practice in between driving lessons, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Not all companies will let you build up a no claims bonus as a named driver, if that's one of the reasons you're going to be a named driver make sure you can build up one

Not all companies will let you build up a no claims bonus as a named driver, if that's one of the reasons you're going to be a named driver make sure you can build up one

Oh really? So are there any other possible benefits of being a named driver rather than the obvious of cheaper insurance?

My father is with FBD since forever and stubbornly will not budge from them, even though other companies offer better rates. He just re-newed the policy last week so there's no moving for at least another year unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

nirzenra wrote: »
    Oh really? So are there any other possible benefits of being a named driver rather than the obvious of cheaper insurance?

My father is with FBD since forever and stubbornly will not budge from them, even though other companies offer better rates. He just re-newed the policy last week so there's no moving for at least another year unfortunately.

Cheaper rates by basically using your parents no claims is the only real benefit to being a named driver. For the past 2 summers, I've been insured on the parents car, I couldn't afford to pay for a whole years insurance but it's grand for a few months. If i was on for a year I would get a years no claims as a named driver, and i think my auld pair are with Liberty

Aaaah, so the longer the no claims, the better rate of insurance? I *think* we've 5+ years so that's hopeful. Will give them a ring and see what way things goes.

Thanks again, everyone. :)

Advertisement