Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling used?

Options
  • 04-10-2014 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Had an interview last week for a role I've done before and have qualifications to match
    Owner asked me to come in the next day and "see how I get on"
    Worked Sat/Sun off Mon/Tues worked Wed Thursday on my own worked tonight and he told me not to come in Sat/Sun as he has another candidate he wants to try out
    Now I'm not stupid this means he's not happy and I'm not being kept on
    I'm completely gutted I've been out of work 4 years it's depressing and demoralising and now I'm out of work again

I don't think I did anything wrong per se
    I know he said the place wasn't cleaned properly Wednesday night but I'd followed the checklist I was given to the letter
    I was so happy to actually have a job bought myself new work shoes and blouses was actually looking at Christmas catalogues without dread for once and now I'm back job hunting again

Not looking for advice just needed somewhere to vent really

Gutted.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

I'm so sorry, that wasn't on. Did he at least pay you for time worked? I wouldn't say anything, wait and see and he might keep you on, could be just seeing is the grass greener etc. I hope you get it or something better if not xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

donna35 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry, that wasn't on. Did he at least pay you for time worked? I wouldn't say anything, wait and see and he might keep you on, could be just seeing is the grass greener etc. I hope you get it or something better if not xx

No mention of money and certainly no money given
    I hope/presume he will sort that though he did ask if i had a record of my hours worked
    And to think i made €80 in tips the two nights I was on my own and I put them in the staff tip jar
    :'(

angelfire9 wrote: »
    No mention of money and certainly no money given
    I hope/presume he will sort that though he did ask if i had a record of my hours worked
    And to think i made €80 in tips the two nights I was on my own and I put them in the staff tip jar
    :'(

Putting the money in the tip jar just shows your decency, I would try not to dwell on that (although I'm sure the money would come in VERY handy!). I would though get in touch with him and ask has he made a decision yet, be nice and polite, then if he does say he's decided to go another way I would then ask when would be a good time tocome in and collect your pay for the time worked. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

You worked 4 nights without being paid?

I'll give your boss the benefit of the doubt for now OP but make sure you get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 folders33

Had an interview last week for a role I've done before and have qualifications to match
    Owner asked me to come in the next day and "see how I get on"
    Worked Sat/Sun off Mon/Tues worked Wed Thursday on my own worked tonight and he told me not to come in Sat/Sun as he has another candidate he wants to try out
    Now I'm not stupid this means he's not happy and I'm not being kept on
    I'm completely gutted I've been out of work 4 years it's depressing and demoralising and now I'm out of work again

I don't think I did anything wrong per se
    I know he said the place wasn't cleaned properly Wednesday night but I'd followed the checklist I was given to the letter
    I was so happy to actually have a job bought myself new work shoes and blouses was actually looking at Christmas catalogues without dread for once and now I'm back job hunting again

Not looking for advice just needed somewhere to vent really

Gutted.com

Did you get paid?

• Advertisement

folders33 wrote: »
    Did you get paid?

Calling in today to get money owed (should be interesting)

Calling in today to get money owed (should be interesting)

I'm glad at least you are getting paid. A worker deserves their pay after all xx

donna35 wrote: »
    I'm glad at least you are getting paid. A worker deserves their pay after all xx

€115 for 30 hours methinks I might be due a little more than that

I'm still in shock this gets worse and worse 😳

€115 for 30 hours methinks I might be due a little more than that

I'm still in shock this gets worse and worse 😳

That works out at 3.80 an hour. Did you get a pay slip explaining the tax etc that you paid or did he just give you an envelope?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thats below minimum wage, if you dont get the job, report him!

• Advertisement

Thats below minimum wage, if you dont get the job, report him!

She didn't get the job. It looks increasingly like you were taken on as a 'trial' basis which the owner used to get some almost free labour. He then told you not to come in anymore as he has another 'candidate'.

OP, if you haven't gotten a breakdown on a payslip go back and ask him to explain the figures. He'll probably dispute how many hours you worked. By my reckoning you're owed €259 (30 hrs @ min wage). If he refuses say you will be contacting revenue to see how much tax you paid (this should scare him sufficiently). If not make sure you let him know how many people you will tell about this and how much custom he'll lose.

Meathlass wrote: »
    She didn't get the job. It looks increasingly like you were taken on as a 'trial' basis which the owner used to get some almost free labour. He then told you not to come in anymore as he has another 'candidate'.

OP, if you haven't gotten a breakdown on a payslip go back and ask him to explain the figures. He'll probably dispute how many hours you worked. By my reckoning you're owed €259 (30 hrs @ min wage). If he refuses say you will be contacting revenue to see how much tax you paid (this should scare him sufficiently). If not make sure you let him know how many people you will tell about this and how much custom he'll lose.

I doubt very much that my "pay" went through the books
    An envelope with cash left for me with no payslip is a fair indicator

He can't really dispute the hours worked as they are in the book but I'm dying to see what rate of pay he thinks €115 is because it was supposed to be €11 per hour pro rata

I'm still too stunned at the whole fiasco to get to the righteously indignatious phase (but that'll come)

I will have to call in and talk to him I suppose
    Or I could send a registered letter seeking confirmation of hours rate of pay and deductions

I feel sick

I doubt very much that my "pay" went through the books
    An envelope with cash left for me with no payslip is a fair indicator

He can't really dispute the hours worked as they are in the book but I'm dying to see what rate of pay he thinks €115 is because it was supposed to be €11 per hour pro rata

I'm still too stunned at the whole fiasco to get to the righteously indignatious phase (but that'll come)

I will have to call in and talk to him I suppose
    Or I could send a registered letter seeking confirmation of hours rate of pay and deductions

I feel sick

I'd go back in when you know he's going to be there and it's quiet. I'd be all sweetness and light and point out there made a mistake with the pay as it's short and could he give you the correct amount.

He'll probably then say that the rate for a 'trial' was lower. This is when you get indignant and start bringing in revenue, NERA and solicitor's letters.

I'd say any registered letter you send will be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I'd go back in when you know he's going to be there and it's quiet. I'd be all sweetness and light and point out there made a mistake with the pay as it's short and could he give you the correct amount.

He'll probably then say that the rate for a 'trial' was lower. This is when you get indignant and start bringing in revenue, NERA and solicitor's letters.

+1

I have some experience with this situation, if it happened again I would take this advice word for word

+1

I have some experience with this situation, if it happened again I would take this advice word for word

These kind of people do this all the time and get away with it - it's infuriating. He had no intention of ever giving the OP a job regardless of how well she did.

I'm tempted to say if you can't resolve this with another meeting, I'd suggest standing outside his establishment with a sign saying you weren't paid wages!

Small claims court?
    I thought that for NERA you had to be in the job for a specific length of time?

Is there even such a thing as a rate of pay for a trial basis??

This is a job I'm more than qualified for both in terms of experience and on paper qualifications and considering the word "trial period" wasn't even mentioned til I had a weeks work done to be honest I don't think I'd be happy even with the minimum wage

Not sure if be able to go the whole sweetness and light route right now this mess has really got to me

Small claims court?
    I thought that for NERA you had to be in the job for a specific length of time?

Is there even such a thing as a rate of pay for a trial basis??

Not sure if be able to go the whole sweetness and light route right now this mess has really got to me

Don't think the small claims court is relevant here.

I don't know if NERA is relevant either, it's more the threat of it I'm hoping will get him to pay up.

The reason I say to keep it civil initially is to give him a chance to fix this, then by all means you can be indignant.

I would go back and see him asap; the longer you leave it the easier it is for him to say that everything is fine and that's the proper pay.

Don't think the small claims court is relevant here.

I don't know if NERA is relevant either, it's more the threat of it I'm hoping will get him to pay up.

The reason I say to keep it civil initially is to give him a chance to fix this, then by all means you can be indignant.

I would go back and see him asap; the longer you leave it the easier it is for him to say that everything is fine and that's the proper pay.

Fair point I'll go back in this evening

**wish me luck

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

please please don't let him away with this op it's not fair ;( argos and tkmax arevlooking for staff, great benefits too hope it works out for you xx

Fair point I'll go back in this evening

**wish me luck

Good luck OP.

If it's a restaurant make sure you say loud and clear you're there to collect your unpaid wages ;)

• Advertisement

Good luck OP.

If it's a restaurant make sure you say loud and clear you're there to collect your unpaid wages ;)

Boss wasn't there am going to email him

Advertisement