Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the fastest broadband in Ireland, move to Donegal!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1000 tests not a thousand people, and theres plenty of users in the county.

I wonder is it overspill from the north. NI has amazing BB penetration, BT built it out to the max, so border areas could get BT interconnects and have decent backhaul.

BK will likely know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's by "city" so I guess it refers solely to Donegal Town and not the county as a whole. You get a new IP every so often (here in Germany tpically every 24 hours, not sure how often in Ireland) with most providers unless you pay extra for a static IP, so the same user could be responsible for many of those unique IPs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

With UPC in Limerick I've seen the speeds reach over 150Mbps/19MBps.

Edit: realise now that's basically a list of average speeds. Would be interesting if they managed to get an average of all the highest speeds reached in each city also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Could simply be that efibre customers are being picked up as Donegal and ADSL customers aren't.

The geolocation of IP addresses beyond what country they're in (and that can even go wrong) is very inaccurate.

UPC in Cork regularly tells me I'm in Dublin or the Netherlands!?

So, I think I could safely ignore the by city results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Impossible Donegal having fastest broadband in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ITs probably based on Donegal Town and Letterkenny only. I know these places have fast BB.

However for most of the rest of the county, its pretty poor.

I have 4mb max. And it will be that for a long time.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Carlow is number 16, not bad if I do say so myself!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

murphaph wrote: »
    It's by "city" so I guess it refers solely to Donegal Town and not the county as a whole. You get a new IP every so often (here in Germany tpically every 24 hours, not sure how often in Ireland) with most providers unless you pay extra for a static IP, so the same user could be responsible for many of those unique IPs.

On Vodafone you get a new IP once you turn off the router, same for Sky and Eircom from my experience.

However with UPC it seems as though you need to leave the modem out for a while before you get assigned a new IP but this does seem to vary.

Vodafone charge €6 extra per month for a static IP!

Personally I much prefer my IP being dynamic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's definitely wrong.

I looked at the list of ISPs coming up for Cork:

UPC
    eircom
    Then the rest are all fixed-wireless like Permanet and Nova Networks.

No Vodafone, no Digiweb, no Magnet etc

So I'm guessing it's ignoring a lot of VDSL2 by counting as Dublin or somewhere else.

Donegal is only counting eircom in Donegal town. So, I'm guessing the VDSL2 aggregation node comes up as Donegal where as ADSL customers probably locate as Sligo or Letterkenny.

You really wouldn't want to be relying on this data for making decisions! Totally inaccurate beyond country level. They should ask testers where they are and not rely on guess work.

Advertisement