Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilau rice? just a colour?

Options
  • 04-10-2014 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

I tried to get my Basmati looking like "Indian" rice by putting half teaspoon of turmeric into the saucepan during cooking but it just comes out pale yellow almost orange, what am I doing wrong? There's hardly yellow rice out there that I haven't seen???

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭wandererz

Tumeric is the low cost option.
    Saffron is what should be used.

I usually stock up if I'm travelling to Dubai, Jordan etc.
    Prices here are crazy.

And then a few bits if cumin.

Some tips here:
    http://steamykitchen.com/74-saffron-rice.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks. so my local Indian take away is using Saffron in their rice?

I doubt it unless they are buying the cheaper stuff from abroad in quantity. If they don't strain it, you may able to see strands of the Saffron... but there's very little chance of that.

Probably turmeric and something else. Its important to get the quantity correct though, too much and the rice tastes like turmeric.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Looked up Tesco. You think 1 strand would be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

if you are near any of the ethnic shops they always stock saffron, you have to ask for it at the cash desk at some as they wont put it on shelves as it will be nicked............i got a fairly big amount for about 7 euro when the sharwoods in Supermarkets one is something like 3 or 4 euro for about 3 strands.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thanks. so my local Indian take away is using Saffron in their rice?

I would think they are using yellow food colouring to be honest

Anyway, if just intending to give a bit of colour to rice, then:
    1) throw in 2 or 3 strands of saffron into your rice or
    2) some turmeric (not too much though, as your rice will taste of turmeric)

Also, consider frying some onions. Even if you just use the turmeric, then the caramelised onions add flavour.

For a bit more flavour :
    1) soak/infuse the saffron in a tablespoon or two of hot water before using the water and saffron in the rice.
    2) Caramelise or fry some onions and use that in the rice.

Regarding some of the recipes one sees regarding chicken broth etc.... It may/ does help with flavour.

But ask my mom about doing it that way and she will give you a strange look.
    Adding broth or stock to rice does not exist the way my family or anyone i know does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

anewme wrote: »
    if you are near any of the ethnic shops they always stock saffron, you have to ask for it at the cash desk at some as they wont put it on shelves as it will be nicked............i got a fairly big amount for about 7 euro when the sharwoods in Supermarkets one is something like 3 or 4 euro for about 3 strands.....

If you're getting an awful lot for really cheap it's more than likely fake. I've found, from experience, that the saffron you get in Asian stores tends to be fake. The only proper one I find is the Schwartz one.

Watched a documentary about it a few years ago. Saffron spice is the stigmas from the saffron crocus. The fake stuff is made from the odds and sods of the plant with food colouring added.
    It's actually quite easy to see the difference when you compare the two side by side. There's also a test you can do by putting a small piece of each in a glass of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

Being a massive indian food snob, this post brought me here pretty quickly. Saffron is an extremely expensive spice and requires a specific climate to grow. An awful lot of the saffron you buy in Dublin, is unfortunately the one grown in parts of the world where the climate is poor and isn't quality. The reason why it's expensive, is that getting the strands is a labor intensive process. For this very reason, it's VERY unlikely any indian takeaway or restaurant to use this spice in the rice, as it would cause a massive loss of profit. Even Kinara Kitchen who are more upstreet, serve white basmati with only a handful of fried onions as garnish.

This leaves us with either Turmeric or yellow food dye. However, some restaurants cook their rice with milk, which adds an extra oomph and a softer texture, this would likely cause the yellow color of the turmeric (or food dye) to vary shades-wise.

Advice, don't overuse the turmeric as it can add a bitter edge to your rice or food. Turmeric is a spice that needs to be hard-cooked (preferrably fried) in order to release its essential oils and release more of a nutty/earthy flavor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Any advice on how old saffron can be before it's unusable?

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    Any advice on how old saffron can be before it's unusable?

Saffron can be used even when it's old (just as with any other spices) the only problem is that pungency/color is lost over time. If you break saffron strands in between your thumbs and they look brittle and/or lack scent, it's very likely your saffron is old. You can still use it, but the result may be subtle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

interesting little video showing exactly how labour intensive it is.

only 3 strands per flower, all grown and picked manually. :eek:

vibe666 wrote: »
    interesting little video showing exactly how labour intensive it is.

only 3 strands per flower, all grown and picked manually. :eek:

That video says that it takes the equivalent of 10,000 "backbreaking" hours to collect a kilo of saffron. It then goes on to say that a kilo of saffron is worth $10,000 per kilo. I wouldn't mind breaking by back for that type of return!!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That video says that it takes the equivalent of 10,000 "backbreaking" hours to collect a kilo of saffron. It then goes on to say that a kilo of saffron is worth $10,000 per kilo. I wouldn't mind breaking by back for that type of return!!

So, in other words, you don't mind to work for 1$USD per hour? :p

Even just by being on the dole you make more money :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I'd be guessing that those who put in the back-breaking hours aren't the same ones who reap the $10,000 per kilo reward at the top of the chain!

In fairness, the $10,000 kilo is maybe true, but only at the very top of the supply chain. The bit in the video where they handed over notes looked very staged and fake.

gagomes wrote: »
    So, in other words, you don't mind to work for 1$USD per hour? :p

Even just by being on the dole you make more money :P

Sorry, that should say '40 "backbreaking" hours to collect a kilo of saffron'
    which works out at $250 per hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would think they are using yellow food colouring to be honest
    There are a few asian supermarkets with massive bags of stuff presumably for catering/restaurants/takeaways. They often have huge tubs of food colouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sorry, that should say '40 "backbreaking" hours to collect a kilo of saffron'
    which works out at $250 per hour!
    you'd have to wonder if it could be grown hydroponically, you could make a decent business out of it if so.

a lot less risk than growing weed although i'm not sure many people would be putting saffron in their funny muffins! ::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why soak saffron before cooking it? Won't it be in hot water then too?

Why soak saffron before cooking it? Won't it be in hot water then too?

I'd imagine it's to do with dispersing the flavour/colour evenly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't think that saffron is a necessity for pilau. While saffron is sometimes used, pilau is rice cooked in stock or broth to give added flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Here's what I do for a nice pilaue rice:

1 cup basmati rice
    1 chopped shallot
    4/5 cloves
    1 tbls cumin seeds
    1 stick of cinnamon
    1 bay leaf
    7/8 crushed green cardomon pods
    1 tsp turmeric (if you want colour)
    butter and a little olive oil

Soften the shallot in the butter/oil and then add everything apart from the rice and fry for a minute or two. This flavours the butter/oil and there should be a nice aroma. Add the rice and fry for a minute or so making sure that all the rice gets coated with the flavoured butter/oil. Add just under 2 cups of water, bring to boil. Cover with a tight fitting lid (you can use foil here) and turn down heat to a very low setting for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes cooking time is finished, leave for another 10 minutes (or longer) before removing lid and then remove whole spices and fluff up rice with a fork to stop it sticking.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

There is a recipe for this in the first post of this thread too, one of the most successful threads on this part of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

lemeister wrote: »
    ... Add the rice and fry for a minute or so making sure that all the rice gets coated with the flavoured butter/oil.

This bit here is what I always do to colour the rice, It comes out a lovely yellow colour but don't skimp on the turmeric it's quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

But adding too much turmeric can give it a bitter flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But adding too much turmeric can give it a bitter flavour.
    Absolutely, the trick with turmeric is to use just enough to colour the rice without giving it too much of that flavour. Oddly, I'd more describe it as 'earthy' than 'bitter' myself, but in excess it can be quite overpowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

vicwatson wrote: »
    I tried to get my Basmati looking like "Indian" rice by putting half teaspoon of turmeric into the saucepan during cooking but it just comes out pale yellow almost orange, what am I doing wrong? There's hardly yellow rice out there that I haven't seen???

TIA

In Pilau rice you use yellow colour, not turmeric. You colour it yellow BEFORE it's cooked then fork a tiny bit of red through it after it's cooked. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It then goes on to say that a kilo of saffron is worth $10,000 per kilo. I wouldn't mind breaking by back for that type of return!!

There's a place down the road from me sells it for 32.000€/kg, certified organic and labelled with the year of harvest.

But if you want to be sure, you can arrange with them to pick it yourself ... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

wandererz wrote: »

I usually stock up if I'm travelling to Dubai, Jordan etc.
    Prices here are crazy.

Real saffron prices are crazy everywhere - the cheap stuff sold in huge bags abroad cheaply is generally not saffron at all. Random plant bits dyed red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

There's a place down the road from me sells it for 32.000€/kg, certified organic and labelled with the year of harvest.

But if you want to be sure, you can arrange with them to pick it yourself ... :cool:

i hope he found some in the last 2 years since he mentioned it! :rolleyes:

Advertisement