Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get some programming done

Options
  • 04-10-2014 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Guys,

As part of my work I am involved in corrosion mapping of stealwork, this is basically looking at the changes in material thickness over an XY plane. We do this by using ultrasonic testing techniques (Non Destructive Testing).

Typically we enter our thickness data into a table format in MS Word.

This data can be hard to read at a glance. So what I want to do is represent these thickness's as colours (say red for low thickness's, green for medium, blue for high with colour gradients based on overall thickness change), just like the data table, but with colours rather than numbers.

I am sure this wouldn't be to hard to achieve. I need to be able to use this within MS Word. The number of fields within the table will change from job to job, but is always based on a two dimensional plane.

I would consider myself as technically minded, but have no idea where to start in achieving this project.

If anyone can help me here or can point me to a programmer, it would be much appreciated.

kind regards,

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Hi Guys,

As part of my work I am involved in corrosion mapping of stealwork, this is basically looking at the changes in material thickness over an XY plane. We do this by using ultrasonic testing techniques (Non Destructive Testing).

Typically we enter our thickness data into a table format in MS Word.

This data can be hard to read at a glance. So what I want to do is represent these thickness's as colours (say red for low thickness's, green for medium, blue for high with colour gradients based on overall thickness change), just like the data table, but with colours rather than numbers.

I am sure this wouldn't be to hard to achieve. I need to be able to use this within MS Word. The number of fields within the table will change from job to job, but is always based on a two dimensional plane.

I would consider myself as technically minded, but have no idea where to start in achieving this project.

If anyone can help me here or can point me to a programmer, it would be much appreciated.

kind regards,

Kevin.
    You hardly need a programmer.
    Maybe stick it in Excel and apply a graph or use some conditional formatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Look at conditional formatting in Excel. You can colour cells based on formulas.

I would have thought Excel would be more suitable for storing such data anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TemujinKhan

Great will look into the conditional formatting. Have never used it before. Youtube tutorials is my next stop.

Thanks for the pointers.

Regards,
    Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Post your spreadsheet here if you can't figure it out. I'd be happy to take a look.

Advertisement