Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's good for home computing needs?

Options
  • 04-10-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice, been trawling threads but cannot find what I am looking for.
    Wife's laptop is about to give up the ghost, it's about 3 years old and was a cheapie, hanhing and hinge is broken so I need to replace it. (She also has the Aldi €99 medion tablet which is not too fast tbh)

It is gonna be used for:
    Social media
    Email
    Word documents (occasionally and small like CVs)
    Streaming TV
    Watching Netflix and downloaded videos
    Occasional printing like boarding passes and CVs
    Light enough to bring travelling on plane.
    Don't need huge storage,
    Budget about €500-600

So do I go for a laptop or iPad?
    If so, what spec should I look for?
    Any recommended models?where is best to buy, store or online?

Don't go too technical on me, be gentle :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Fr Dougal wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some advice, been trawling threads but cannot find what I am looking for.
    Wife's laptop is about to give up the ghost, it's about 3 years old and was a cheapie, hanhing and hinge is broken so I need to replace it. (She also has the Aldi €99 medion tablet which is not too fast tbh)

It is gonna be used for:
    Social media
    Email
    Word documents (occasionally and small like CVs)
    Streaming TV
    Watching Netflix and downloaded videos
    Occasional printing like boarding passes and CVs
    Light enough to bring travelling on plane.
    Don't need huge storage,
    Budget about €500-600

So do I go for a laptop or iPad?
    If so, what spec should I look for?
    Any recommended models?where is best to buy, store or online?

Don't go too technical on me, be gentle :confused:
    Downloaded videos may be an issue with the iPad, likewise printing from tablets requires a wireless printer. I'm not sure but I think with iOS printing requires a specifically iOS compatible printer. An ultrabook may be a better option for you.
    I would always recommend tablets as a complimentary tool to a computer/Mac. They are not a replacement to a computer except for the Surface Pro, which would be over your budget. While most of your requirements a tablet should handle fine, down the road you may find the limitations to be a issue. This would be just my advice :) .

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

ultra book may be a better option for you.
    I would always recommend tablets as a complimentary tool to a computer/Mac. They are not a replacement to a computer
    Nick

Thanks a mil for the advice Nick. Good point, I have an iPad so will need a laptop to run iTunes to transfer downloaded content (I have PlayablePro on the IPad)

So looks like it's gonna be a laptop.

I looked up Ultrabooks but they seem quite expensive....

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

From your requirements it would seem any laptop really would do.

You'd get a decent one that would carry out ask your demands, and more for around €350 to €400.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Fr Dougal wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for the advice Nick. Good point, I have an iPad so will need a laptop to run iTunes to transfer downloaded content (I have PlayablePro on the IPad)

So looks like it's gonna be a laptop.

I looked up Ultrabooks but they seem quite expensive....

Something like this may suit. A budget ultra portable. If portability won't be a huge issue you are probably best off getting a standard 15.4" laptop. 350-400€ should get you a fairly decent specced machine these days

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have a look here and if you already have a windows license or want to install Ubuntu then you can save another ~€100

I got the 14" Ultranote 2 with an 120gb ssd for Windows and a 500gb for general data stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement