Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twin Peaks (2017) [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

• 04-10-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hdfik03.png?1

5p93eLb.png?1

Looks like Twin Peaks is coming back to our screens!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Hopefully this side of the Atlantic, too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

1260.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

The first season is going to be spent by detectives trying to figure out what happened to Kyle MacLachlan's face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

The first season is going to be spent by detectives trying to figure out what happened to Lara Flynn Boyle's face

;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The first season is going to be spent by detectives trying to figure out what happened to the plot in season 2 last time round

Fixed again :)

• Advertisement

I hope they stick with the original theme tune, and opening sequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Ben Horne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The first season is going to be spent by detectives trying to figure out what happened to Kyle MacLachlan's face

Lara Flynn Boyle ruined her face with work as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Looks like they could be making a new series of Twin Peaks according to this..
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/poplife/2014/10/06/twin-peaks-returns/

Loved the first series of it but thought the second dragged on too much. Could be interesting to revisit the town 25 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It. Is. Happening. Again.

One of TV's most cherished cult series, Twin Peaks, will be returning to the small screen as a limited, nine-episode series on Showtime in 2016. The show's creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost – who teased its return with twin tweets last week, each writing "Dear Twitter Friends: That gum you like is going to come back in style! #damngoodcoffee" – are currently working on scripts. Lynch is planning to direct each episode. The cast has yet to be revealed.

"The mysterious and special world of Twin Peaks is pulling us back," Lynch and Frost said in a joint statement. "We’re very excited. May the forest be with you."
    Frost confirmed the news with a tweet linking to the video above, which shows the series' deceased prom queen character Laura Palmer pointing at the camera and snapping. The words "25 years later" and "2016" are superimposed around the welcome sign into the town Twin Peaks. The original series ran for two seasons, totaling 30 episodes, between 1990 and 1991 before ABC canceled it.

Lynch and Frost first considered revisiting the series about three years ago, inspired by a scene where Palmer said, "I'll see you again in 25 years." "That suddenly seemed like an entry point," Frost recently told The New York Times. "Everything flowed from there."
    The new season would be set in the present day and would carry forward the story line, accounting for the quarter century that has passed. It will go into production next year.
    "What more can I say – Twin Peaks with David Lynch and Mark Frost on Showtime in 2016!” the channel's president, David Nevins, said in a statement. "To quote Agent Cooper, 'I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.'"

The original series centered FBI special agent Dale Cooper, played by Kyle MacLachlan, attempting to solve the murder of Laura Palmer, as he faced a number of supernatural phenomena. The residents of Twin Peaks were also notable for their strangeness, including characters who carried logs and a shadow universe where one character spoke backwards.
    Showtime plans to rebroadcast both seasons of the original series in advance of the new season.
    Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/twin-peaks-to-return-to-tv-in-2016-20141006#ixzz3FON8gaXi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i was delighted and then read it was showtime. they will fcuk it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Whoops. Did search but couldn't find anything recent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

rvKFwxD.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Just watched the orignal in full in the last month and I'm excited about this. The part where the Old version of Agent copper appears May make sense now.

i think twin peaks had a profound influence on how tv shows are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I've never seen the original Twin Peaks but I've heard it's as odd as fúck, I like odd.. Could anyone compare it to any shows on at the moment? I'm thinking about giving the original a shot...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

GerB40 wrote: »
    Could anyone compare it to any shows on at the moment?
    Nope, because it's just too weird! :D I'd struggle to honestly think of something in its ilk.

Delighted by this news and a cable network should mean less interference (Showtime aren't quite as hands off as some of the others, but it's better than mainstream). I really hope we get a resolution to the S2 cliff-hanger.

ixoy wrote: »
    Nope, because it's just too weird! :D I'd struggle to honestly think of something in its ilk.

Delighted by this news and a cable network should mean less interference (Showtime aren't quite as hands off as some of the others, but it's better than mainstream). I really hope we get a resolution to the S2 cliff-hanger.

Too weird?? Right, you've sold it...

I've never seen the original Twin Peaks but I've heard it's as odd as fúck, I like odd.. Could anyone compare it to any shows on at the moment? I'm thinking about giving the original a shot...

it kind of had that mysterious element of lost and more belieable than the x files. kind of like true detective but more dark and weird

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    it kind of had that mysterious element of lost and more belieable than the x files. kind of like true detective but more dark and weird

As soon as I read "too weird to compare to any other programme" my mind was made up. I'm definitely gonna watch this to see what all the hype is about.

I hope it doesn't let me down like The Leftovers did...

As soon as I read "too weird to compare to any other programme" my mind was made up. I'm definitely gonna watch this to see what all the hype is about.

I hope it doesn't let me down like The Leftovers did...

tiss a slow burner but seriously good. one of the best ive seen no question. it would have highly influence true detective

tiss a slow burner but seriously good. one of the best ive seen no question. it would have highly influence true detective
    Indeed. In fact it influenced a massive chunk of genre TV. It's what allowed shows to be weird, to have longer plot arcs, to not just be procedurals. It gave ambiguity as a story telling tool.
    Sure it's a bit ropey in the mid point of season two but it picks up towards the end. It ends on a cliff hanger that - FINALLY! - will be resolved.

If you're unclear about some bits, you can ask the log - it saw things. And yes, that will make sense.

Indeed. In fact it influenced a massive chunk of genre TV. It's what allowed shows to be weird, to have longer plot arcs, to not just be procedurals. It gave ambiguity as a story telling tool.
    Sure it's a bit ropey in the mid point of season two but it picks up towards the end. It ends on a cliff hanger that - FINALLY! - will be resolved.

If you're unclear about some bits, you can ask the log - it saw things. And yes, that will make sense.

yea i think it set the template for shows like breaking bad and the sopranos wherein you build a show around a season and not an episode like CSI for instance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

It ends on a cliff hanger that - FINALLY! - will be resolved.

Is this the largest space of time between a cliff hanger and it's resolution in TV history?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was wondering myself.
    This will be 25 years between series.

Can't remember if had a cliffhanger but the second series of Mysterious Cities of Gold aired 29 or 30 years after the first.

Meant to actually create a thread to see if there were any other shows with big gaps between series.

Have had the Twin Peaks theme stuck in my head since reading the news this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Threads merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Threads merged

I apologise for being a pedant but the title shouldn't have a question mark :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

yea i think it set the template for shows like breaking bad and the sopranos wherein you build a show around a season and not an episode like CSI for instance

Exactly. Kind of like The Killing at a high level for the first season, but that's just because it's 1 murder over the course of the season, in reality it's a lot quirkier with a terrific cast of oddballs that make each other seem normal - never seems quirky at the time.

Oh, and the doughnuts! I can't wait to see how the new series stacks up

• Advertisement

There is an upcoming Fox series called Wayward Pines that looks a lot like Twin Peaks, aside from that, nothing was anywhere near it.

As excited as I am, I am not sure if I want to see a resolution although the blu-ray had some extended scenes that didn't make the cut that got me intrigued about the
    aftermath of Cooper/BOB exiting the lodge with Annie
    . :)

Sad that Don S. Davis is no longer with us. :/

12ec252157fe3e3ebb183f2953dac40d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭G3467

"What goes around comes around." - Agent Cooper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is hard to compare it to any show but maybe if you like shows like The Killing, American Gothic,True Detective and The Leftovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ben Horne wrote: »

:( He was also Scully's dad in another 90's show...

Ben Horne wrote: »
    There is an upcoming Fox series called Wayward Pines that looks a lot like Twin Peaks, aside from that, nothing was anywhere near it.

As excited as I am, I am not sure if I want to see a resolution although the blu-ray had some extended scenes that didn't make the cut that got me intrigued about the
    aftermath of Cooper/BOB exiting the lodge with Annie
    . :)

12ec252157fe3e3ebb183f2953dac40d.jpg

General Hammond is dead??

I don't remember hearing about Don S Davis' death, which is strange since was also a bit of a SG1 fan as well.

There was also the Psych episode called Dual Spires which had a lot of the Twin Peaks cast
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Spires

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Meant to actually create a thread to see if there were any other shows with big gaps between series.
    'Doctor Who' is the other big one - 18 years. For Sarah Jane Smith to get closure from her time on the show was 30 years later..
    Have had the Twin Peaks theme stuck in my head since reading the news this afternoon.
    It's the most beautiful TV theme of all time. Bar none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

'Doctor Who' is the other big one - 18 years. For Sarah Jane Smith to get closure from her time on the show was 30 years later..

It's the most beautiful TV theme of all time. Bar none.

Music was fantastic. Was on while I was doing my leaving cert. In terms of weirdness but not genre I'd probably compare it to American Horror Story. AHS on speed, mushies and lsd that is....Fantastic groundbreaking TV.

I remember the ads for American Gothic comparing it to Twin Peaks and X Files. I really need to watch that show at some point.

So wonder when in 2016 we'll see it. Like are we waiting 2 years or a year and a bit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Cannot wait foR this, I always felt that Lynchs work suits TV a lot better than movie format. I still hold out hope that he gets to make a Mulholland Drive series at some stage, but this will do nicely.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

....and it's 1991 all over again! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Was so happy when I saw this this morning. Hopefully most of the cast will return. Gona be so hard to wait til 2016.
    On a related note... got this added to my Twin Peaks sleeve last month :) ..

10593084_10152772049501584_356027671286255093_n.jpg?oh=a28d7daeca12068555744ffee341ac92&oe=54BAB07B&__gda__=1421343692_fd83e2cc8f7e60698e9eeb9151c05f0f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

General Hammond is dead??

June 2008 from a heart attack apparently.

Was so happy when I saw this this morning. Hopefully most of the cast will return. Gona be so hard to wait til 2016.
    On a related note... got this added to my Twin Peaks sleeve last month :) ..

WHAT A BEAUTY! KINDA REMINDS ME OF THE STATUE, THE BABE WITHOUT THE ARMS. :D

The Gordon Cole character was a real treat.

I recommend you look at the Between Two Worlds feature on the bluray. The Palmer family speak with David Lynch in character, very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

What's everyone's opinion on the
    episodes following the discovery of Laura Palmer's killer? Do you think they should have ended the series then? Lynch described it as 'killing the goose that laid the golden egg'. Do you agree? I liked the episodes with Windom Earle who I thought was pretty creepy, but the episodes in between almost made me stop watching, and the soap opera melodrama element that TP was originally parodying began to feel more like an emulation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Interesting news, though given how much Twin Peaks has influenced subsequent TV drama in the last 25 years, is there a risk a third series might come off as a little derivative in the face of all that has come since?

Also, I must confess, I only started watching the show for the first time a few weeks back, so talk about timing: it's ... different. I'm willing to persist with, even if I've had 25 year-old spoilers ruin any potential surprises, but at times Twin Peaks comes off really cheesy, if not a little dated in places. Bags of atmosphere, with a palpable sense of the sinister lurking behind the Americana, but there's almost no pace or vitality to speak of; some weird, kooky characters and dialogue, but sometimes it becomes very cliché-ridden. A bit of a mess really, but a fascinating one.

I felt there were times they were getting weird for the sake of being weird in season 2 and supposedly there were a lot of behind the scenes issues.
    Like the network insisted on
    the killer being revealed sooner rather than later, resulting in viewers stopping wtaching once the mystery was solved
    . And then I believe David Lynch left (some say abandoned, which is why there was some bother getting people for Fire Walk With Me) during the season

Of course they're just stories I read, whether true or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The most overrated load of nonsense ever. So bad it was good!:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How are they ever going to get a female cast to equal the original line up?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

rolling-stone-lara-flynn-boyle-sherilyn-fenn-madchen-amick-twin-peaks.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

briany wrote: »
    What's everyone's opinion on the
    episodes following the discovery of Laura Palmer's killer? Do you think they should have ended the series then? Lynch described it as 'killing the goose that laid the golden egg'. Do you agree? I liked the episodes with Windom Earle who I thought was pretty creepy, but the episodes in between almost made me stop watching, and the soap opera melodrama element that TP was originally parodying began to feel more like an emulation.

There was a huge lull in season two from the midway point up until the Windom Earle storyline started. A good 5-6 episodes where they just didn't have a main story, the stuff with James was like a bad soap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement