Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twin Peaks (2017) [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

That ceiling fan scene in the movie was scary, but we only got that with the deleted scenes in 2014 or so whenever it was released on BD.

Now that I think of it I think the scene of Sarah Palmer screaming at the end of the pilot is the scariest scene in the series for me.

Like just crazily screaming like that for no reason, fuking creepy as hell.

Also Wyndom Earle with chalk-face and black teeth.

What was that **** about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Also Wyndom Earle with chalk-face and black teeth.

What was that **** about.

AFAIK, this was supposed to demonstrate the particularly corrupting influence of the Black Lodge on Windom, who was at this point very close to his goal of reaching it. I found this to be a bit on-the-nose in its depiction, and attributed it to the fact that Lynch had left the show for a while during the second season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Sooo... Diane's half sister... Sarah's time at the bar... The Cockney glove guy straight out of Eastenders rejects... Gordon and Truman's phone call... Andy and the Fireman... really good episode with some brilliant flashbacks (dedicated to David Bowie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Been ticking along nicely for a few weeks now, but another very special episode this week. It's difficult to tell how many of the ideas Frost / Lynch had in mind back in the 1990s, but at this stage everything is gelling together impressively harmoniously - the series' frequent fascination with doubles is really manifesting itself at this stage. Scenes like the Monica Bellucci dream are beautiful examples of how to deliver exposition or explanations of the episode's core ideas in ways that are surreal and surprising.

Delighted to see Andy get his moment to really shine, and the associated collision between the show's explicitly fantastical elements and the 'real world' stuff. And that Sarah Palmer scene... just when you think Twin Peaks is finally opening up about some of its long-running mysteries, another unexpected nightmare makes its presence known :)

Well, I say unexpected... One review I read flagged this scene from back in the premiere that serves as something of a foreshadowing of this week's... attack:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Anticipation building to a frenzy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So who is Freddie? He's 23 and that, plus nine months in utero, means he was conceived about 25 years ago..

Also the Fireman - Catherine's husband (Log Lady) was a Fireman. If this is somehow the same person, or a version of him, it would make sense that he'd try and communicate with her, presumably via the medium of her log. He's also noted for being tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I always thought that the insect in episode 8 that went into the mouth of a young Sarah Palmer (it was her young boyfriend's resemblance to the older Leland that prompted the thought). This most recent episode has left me convinced of that. There's not much else I'd bet on at this stage but I'd bet on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hmm, there's something different about Sarah...

And are we meant to know those girls at the end? Seemed they were setting up to say Audrey was the mom.

• Advertisement

Twin Peaks was really good this week. Was Sarah carrying around that demon inside her all these years and if so is that the voice we heard her speak with in the season 2 finale delivering the message to Briggs?

There seemed a whole thing of wtf is going on in that scene in season 2 that was never explained

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

Haven't posted here but as an avid follower I thought i'd give my two cents.

On the return of 'real coop', I think it's fairly clear now that it's not going to happen. It would be great as he was clearly the best character in the original series, most of the laughs came from his lines.

On laughs though, Cole seems to have taken up that mantle. The scene a couple of weeks ago in the hotel room with the French woman had me in stitches. And his awkward pause with Lucy on the phone this week was priceless. Lynch's directorial skills are well known but who knew he had such good comic timing as an actor!?

On the lack of scares, I would tend to agree it's not as disturbing as the original (i'll never forget Bob crawling in the window and then creeping towards the camera).

Overall, I think it had been a triumph so far. We're 3/4 of the way through and we still have no idea what's going to happen. It would have been really easy to make a mess of this but I think they've managed to bring it into the 21st Century whilst also retaining the mystique of the original series.

P.s. I really have to watch FWWM soon.

There is a scene of Cooper driving a car in the teaser trailer which would serve to indicate that it will happen, but probably in the last episode or something like that.

I'm more annoyed that we have so much Gordon Cole in this series. He was a fun joke character but it feels like they pulled a 'Raiden' with him in this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Does anyone think that at the end of this series we are all going to be able to say 'Ohhh it all makes sense now'.

I spent years watching 'Lost' hoping beyond hope that it would all make sense in the end but I ended up feeling very disapointed.

Will this be the same??

maximus02 wrote: »
    Does anyone think that at the end of this series we are all going to be able to say 'Ohhh it all makes sense now'.

I spent years watching 'Lost' hoping beyond hope that it would all make sense in the end but I ended up feeling very disapointed.

Will this be the same??

Almost certainly but I just hope that the big spaghetti plot at least comes together in a way that makes it feel less disorganised than it is now.

This last ep was really strong I think but the season as a whole has been a dud for me.

maximus02 wrote: »
    Does anyone think that at the end of this series we are all going to be able to say 'Ohhh it all makes sense now'

No but I don't expect to either, it's not how Lynch operates. He would never promise answers unlike the Lost creators who did which is why it's so annoying. Lynch will give us ideas, strong hints but it will be up to us to piece it together and try to make sense. The journey will likely be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I thought Ep.14 was great. It's definitely bringing things together a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Interesting dedication in tonight's episode - the character's name rather than the actresses name, which fit in nicely with the poignant scene at the sheriff's department.

Got some information/confirmation about Richard's parentage. Some lucidity from Dougie, too! I can't wait to see what happens to him after the shock. The Audrey scenes are just bizarre, like she's institutionalised and can't leave wherever she is. All the talk about coats too.

Jefferies seems to be a talking teapot, glove guy (Freddie?) got to show his superhuman strength, oh and Big Ed and Norma were sweet.

Looks like the numbers the teapot made Evil Coop write down are the coordinates for (near) Twin Peaks, which are the sane as the numbers on Ruth Davenport's arm.

Big Ed and Norma <3

It's been interesting to watch the clash of expectation vs reality among some fans as this series has unfolded. One of themes of the revival has been history repeating itself - people stuck in the same old patterns - and there's been plenty of call from professed long-time fans of the show to hurry up on the Cooper story line, just as there was from the audience to reveal Laura's killer in the original series.

In both cases, it's worth remembering that maybe what we imagine the series to be about isn't really what it's about, or it's only one part of it, and only an equal part.

I think that once the series has concluded, it will eventually develop just as much caché as the original, and eventually eclipse it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i dunno, i get it's not a conventional series, but it's actually been hard to watch the last couple of episodes. i find myself zoning out for lots of scenes. it's so disjointed and painfully slow. as a massive fan of the first 2 seasons i have to say i'm a bit disappointed. hopefully the finale will bring some satisfaction. i'd nearly forgive all it's faults for episode 8 alone though - the greatest hour i've ever seen on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

briany wrote: »
    In both cases, it's worth remembering that maybe what we imagine the series to be about isn't really what it's about, or it's only one part of it, and only an equal part.

It's not just up to the maker to decide what the show is about though - whether Lynch intended it or not, the original was "about" Laura Palmer's death because that is what resonated the most with the general public.

Really enjoyed that: The farewell to the Log Lady / Margaret was beautifully done, Ed & Norma got their ending and Coop visiting the Black Lodge. The latter was very eerie - and sure why not make David Bowie into a kettle if he can't appear?

The guy with the white mask with the beaked nose that appeared in the Black Lodge when Cooper asked to see Jeffries - I notice he's got a high-pitched chittering voice, much like Naido. Are they some sort of inhabitants of the Lodges that are potentially both navigators? She helped pilot Cooper through the void originally and this guy could be piloting the Lodge to Kettle Jeffries. Or perhaps the show is just nuts and I'm seeing things that aren't there.

Definitely looking forward to next week: Will Audrey leave where-ever she actually is (another Lodge? A coma). Is Cooper back (the expression on Dougie's face when he hears Gordon Cole was amazing)? Ah the wait is as bad almost as seeing the GoT finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

jpm4 wrote: »
    It's not just up to the maker to decide what the show is about though - whether Lynch intended it or not, the original was "about" Laura Palmer's death because that is what resonated the most with the general public.

No it wasn't. It was a pisstake of formulaic TV. He's done that again and again. Look at the bunny scene in Inland Empire. There are plenty of moments in this series where he has called attention to audience expectation and defied it entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

stinkle wrote: »
    Interesting dedication in tonight's episode - the character's name rather than the actresses name, which fit in nicely with the poignant scene at the sheriff's department.

The actress received a dedication in an earlier episode. One of the first that she was in.

ixoy wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that: The farewell to the Log Lady / Margaret was beautifully done, Ed & Norma got their ending and Coop visiting the Black Lodge. The latter was very eerie - and sure why not make David Bowie into a kettle if he can't appear?

First thing that struck me when I saw that was the similarity to the bell-like structure containing 'Mother' that Cooper encountered as he made his way through the Purple Zone. I'm not usually one to make quick connections in Twin Peaks, but I did in this case.

I do feel like the Twin Peaks revival is going overboard with the Lodge mythology. In the original show, you basically had the Waiting Room and the Black Lodge, and while these were very mysterious, you could get some sort of handle on it. Now, you've got all manner of places - The Lodges, The Gas Station, The Motel and The Purple Zone. It's difficult to decipher how these places connect together, and not only that, but there are now a bevvy of ways to enter and exit, such as standing at a specific spot near Buckhorn SD, or coming out of an electrical socket.

Audrey has been talking about going to the Roadhouse for days now.

Donna's sister making an appearance in the form of the returning Alicia Witt. Think he killed Becky before himself?

I think the dude in the jail cell needs some medical attention.

Nice send off for Log Lady.

I'm going back over earlier episodes. Can't belive I missed the green glove guy with James in episode 3.

I can only presume it's the same night as the fight too. They're wearing the same clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm going back over earlier episodes. Can't belive I missed the green glove guy with James in episode 3.

I can only presume it's the same night as the fight too. They're wearing the same clothes.

Up until now I had assumed the timeline was pretty linear on the show... but after the "Vegas?" text that bad Cooper sent... I am now wondering if there is a lot of chopping and changing on the timeline as it is presented to us..

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Up until now I had assumed the timeline was pretty linear on the show... but after the "Vegas?" text that bad Cooper sent... I am now wondering if there is a lot of chopping and changing on the timeline as it is presented to us..

If I think about it, story lines do not need to run concurrently except at points where they meet, obviously.

But it also fits into Lynch's unconventional style of storytelling where he'll present something and then provide context for it later. If story lines were laid out conventionally, there'd be no mystery about who sent Diane that text because we'd see Mr. C send it and then her receive it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

While I wouldn't put a non-linear narrative past Lynch, I'm not convinced that's what we're seeing here yet. Most of this stuff mentioned seems like continuity errors arising from block shooting and scenes being moved around in editing to fill out each episode. Lynch likes to experiment. That said, there's been an lot of it, which in addition to the backward speaking, lines being repeated, weird motion effects, looped boxing clip, etc is starting to make me very curious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Anybody know what the girl screaming at the end was about?

mzungu wrote: »
    Anybody know what the girl screaming at the end was about?

Coincided with Audrey screaming. Everything at that table with all the randomers has always been linked to her conversations with Charlie.

A couple of episodes ago, one girl asked the other "are you still getting stoned at the nuthouse" then went onto talk about Tina and Billy, names Audrey had mentioned.

This would lead ya to believe Audrey is trapped in her own mind creating her story from things she hears in the "nuthouse", or shes in another dimension... or dead.

I'd bet she is the sound in the Great Northern somehow if she is trapped in another dimension and if it's a bank that we saw James find the sound, the bank is where Audrey was when it was blown up in Season 2. Ghost / Coma / Dimensions. Who knows :)

So she's stuck like Josie is stuck? Surprised they haven't referred to Josie in some way. Unless Josie is the noise in the Great Northern.

That's possible too. Still no idea what's up with Josie.

There was a theory that Judy was Major Briggs. In Season two you hear Briggs saying "Judy Garland... Judy Garland" major Briggs is Garland Briggs, of course.

We know Jefferies has sent Cooper to Twin Peaks to talk to Judy. My money is on the eyeless girl, Naido. That drunk looks like bad news. He could be there waiting to kill her.

Our friend with the green glove could take down those prison bars in a second. Is that his purpose? To save Naido in the prison?

Looking forward to finding by out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Grayditch wrote: »
    Is that his purpose? To save Naido in the prison?

I was wondering if the green glove because it was given to him by the Fireman, is the only way of killing Evil Coop & sending him back to the black lodge? Maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Anyone know is this series a one off or are there plans for another one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

The ratings in the US have been shocking (~100,000 viewers according to the Peaks TV podcast) so I don't see Showtime funding another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

The ratings in the US have been shocking (~100,000 viewers according to the Peaks TV podcast) so I don't see Showtime funding another one.

The lowest figures were for the 3rd and 4th episodes which were 195K. I assume as they were ready for download the same day as the 1st and 2nd, people didn't watch it 'live' the following week so I don't think that podcast was doing the show justice.

Also, apparently On Demand and Streaming added a huge amount of figures. (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-may-21-2017/)

But I can't see another series being made. As much as I'd love some more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

RockDesk wrote: »
    The lowest figures were for the 3rd and 4th episodes which were 195K. I assume as they were ready for download the same day as the 1st and 2nd, people didn't watch it 'live' the following week so I don't think that podcast was doing the show justice.

Also, apparently On Demand and Streaming added a huge amount of figures. (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-may-21-2017/)

But I can't see another series being made. As much as I'd love some more!

Thanks for the additional info there. Agree that they're not really being fair then with their assessment, but still unfortunately Twin Peaks is nowhere near the top 20 shows for Sunday night in the US which really is a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Thanks for the additional info there. Agree that they're not really being fair then with their assessment, but still unfortunately Twin Peaks is nowhere near the top 20 shows for Sunday night in the US which really is a pity.

2,000,000 per episode accross all platforms according to Showtime, no accounting for taste anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Anyone know is this series a one off or are there plans for another one?

Officially, there are no plans for a season 4 according to Showtime. However, they are open to the idea and said if David Lynch approached them they would hear him out.

Fair play to Showtime for giving it the green light in the first place. If this is the final season, it may be some time before we get anything remotely like this again.

It's a jigsaw with a million pieces, I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭YourSuperior

Hats off to Kyle MacLachlan here -- he's done a great job. Cooper's doppelganger oozes pure menace. Very much something not of this world. Reminds me of Anton Chigurh a little bit.

Dougie is great too, they went on with that a little too much for my liking but there's loads of other things happening anyway.

I watched a fan-cut of 'Fire Walk With Me' that splices the original film with 'The Missing Pieces' giving a 3 and a half hour cut. Some interesting material in there, worth a watch: Lots of the owl ring, the Woodsmen are in it, and there's a few scenes set between the end of the original run and season 3.

I wonder what the deal with Sonny Jim is.

He'd be technically not fully real. His dad Dougie was a tulpa, or made up decoy. Cooper is seen crying when he sees him blinking backwards.

He survived Dougie being recalled so maybe he'll be ok, but the fact that there was a spotlight on him recently isn't a good sign. In Twin Peaks they can be very bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hats off to Kyle MacLachlan here -- he's done a great job. Cooper's doppelganger oozes pure menace. Very much something not of this world. Reminds me of Anton Chigurh a little bit.
    Never quite thought I'd say this as a straight middle-aged guy, but Bad Coop is just so hot, with the leather jacket and the long hair -a it's a good look!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

I don't know about the rest of ye, but the longer this whole season unravel's I'm totally rooting for Mr.C. So much so that now I'm starting to believe that Cooper's doppelganger is actually the real hero protagonist up in this thing. Every single character he has eradicated is an absolute pathetic piece of $hit, all of the people he has offed are double crossing, shady, sneaky, hypocritical people. Yer man in the Las Vegas office in the last episode was what done it for me. I can't find any real fault with what Cooper's doppelganger is doing. Very cool.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Amazing episode this week

Well done whoever said Audrey was trapped somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Damn Fine Episode!

• Advertisement
Advertisement