Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twin Peaks (2017) [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Holy crap that was phenomenal! I *am* the FBI!

Mitchum Bros really fit into the Twin Peaks eccentric canon, can't wait for all the Vegas gang to converge at the Sheriff's Dept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

That was one of the best hours of TV there will ever be. Just incredible. The payoff of 3 months with Dougie Jones was 100% worth it.
    I think I need to watch it again right now....

Also, I bumped into this lad on Friday at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

2ce5kzs.jpg

He was super nice! And talk about a co-incidence.... My tattoo artist has a studio, "Semper" on that Street in Grassmarket and had asked me to call in to get a full length photo of this TP sleeve (LINK) we've been doing for years, as I was in the city on a stag. Eamon ( Richard Horne ) just happend to be walking past as I was a few yards from the studio. Good Riddance to his character anyway... What a way to go...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"I am the FBI" - Anyone else have a big stupid grin when he said that? That and I couldn't help but laugh when Mike said "You are awake... Finally".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

ixoy wrote: »
    "I am the FBI" - Anyone else have a big stupid grin when he said that? That and I couldn't help but laugh when Mike said "You are awake... Finally".

one hundred percent big stupid grin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

That's what a 15 episode build-up gets you, and a reminder that patience is a virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

15 episodes for that one line.

One hundred percent worth it.

For someone as dark as David Lynch, that might have been the most gloriously happy, cheerful, feelgood moment I've ever see on T.V.

That's one of the great T.V moments lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I loved the Dougie Jones storyline - such an affable yet preposterous character, and yet completely sold by both MacLaghlan and Lynch's / Frost's / Watts' commitment to the gag.

But Dale Cooper's long-awaited return... for a series with such abstract ideas, absurd tangents, and a fundamental fondness for the unexplained... this series is delivering on the payoffs as well, which is an astounding accomplishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Finale next week, double header, no pun intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I loved that episode so much and hope the final two won't leave me feeling frustrated and disappointed. Agent Cooper's return was an obvious highlight but another was that absurd shootout on the street in front of Dougie's house. That took "Well that escalated" to a whole new new level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What an absolute fantastic episode.

I'm glad the family will be getting a Dougie cut from the right Cooper.

Also, "Richard and Linda. Two birds. One stone"

Sounds like Linda has to die, whoever she is. Maybe Diane had a kid too.

It's been interesting to see the difference in characterization of Cooper's doppelganger between the end of S2 and this current run, because they're very different.

We see very little of his doppelganger at the end of S2, but what we do see is an unhinged, impish type of character.

2650170242.gif

And we also know that not only is he an evil doppelganger, but is additionally (or was) possessed by another evil spirit, so that's a lot of evil in one man. Despite that, in the new series, he's been rather cold and calculating in his persona (also lacking those glassy eyes). The evil is palpable, but it also appears that he's not hell-bent on mayhem. I saw someone else compare him to Anton Chigurr, and I think that's a good ballpark comparison. Most of his victims in this run have been no angels themselves which makes him a candidate as a cool anti-hero. That is, until he comes face-to-face with the real Dale. Team Mr. C will likely have few members come next Sunday.

Have we heard anything about Annie? I can't recall. We know she's escaped the Lodge from "Fire Walk With Me: The Missing Pieces".

ixoy wrote: »
    Have we heard anything about Annie? I can't recall. We know she's escaped the Lodge from "Fire Walk With Me: The Missing Pieces".

No, we haven't. She's a real season 2 character for me, like John Wheeler, Dick Tremayne, and Evelyn March. She's only slightly less pointless than those people in that she was involved in the finale, but I'd say there were a dozen better ways of writing Cooper's necessity to visit the Black Lodge without her involvement.

And not only was Annie quite a pointless character, but her sudden appearance as a love interest made Cooper look like a hypocrite because previous rejection of Audrey based on age difference, given both characters could easily have been the same age, and Heather Graham is in face 5 years younger than Fenn in real life.

So, how's Annie? Don't really care.

I still would like to know what happened to her though. Even though she was tacked onto the end of season 2, she has more relevance to the plot than the stupid storylines those other two characters were attached to.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be surprised to see her in some shape or form. (Maybe a toaster?!)

I'm still smiling after watching that last episode.

They have to have a scene in the finale where Coop gets utterly mesmerised by a smartphone.

briany wrote: »
    They have to have a scene in the finale where Coop gets utterly mesmerised by a smartphone.
    Imagine Lucy using a smartphone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

briany wrote: »
    It's been interesting to see the difference in characterization of Cooper's doppelganger between the end of S2 and this current run, because they're very different.

We see very little of his doppelganger at the end of S2, but what we do see is an unhinged, impish type of character.

2650170242.gif

And we also know that not only is he an evil doppelganger, but is additionally (or was) possessed by another evil spirit, so that's a lot of evil in one man. Despite that, in the new series, he's been rather cold and calculating in his persona (also lacking those glassy eyes). The evil is palpable, but it also appears that he's not hell-bent on mayhem. I saw someone else compare him to Anton Chigurr, and I think that's a good ballpark comparison. Most of his victims in this run have been no angels themselves which makes him a candidate as a cool anti-hero. That is, until he comes face-to-face with the real Dale. Team Mr. C will likely have few members come next Sunday.

When I saw bad cooper first in this series he physically looked like he had started to merge with Bob... the long hair, tanned face etc.. he looked almost like he was partially Native American to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great episode. Looking forward to the finale next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Great seeing him back and happy that he remembered everything from his time as Dougie, since would've been annoying otherwise.

Think I preferred the original Audrey dance. So white room, but can't be an asylum since they're unlikely to provide a mirror.
    Was it me or did she at times look like young Audrey at times? May just have been when she smiled but caught glimpses of her looking like her young self.

I know it was suspected but the reveal of Evil Coop's son through his death was pretty evil. So was that the coodinates that didn't match? Any clue what he text Diane and she replied? Some kind of activation code for a sleeper?

Enjoyed the shootout outside the Jones'. And how the FBI guys just sat there.

CastorTroy wrote: »

I know it was suspected but the reveal of Evil Coop's son through his death was pretty evil. So was that the coodinates that didn't match? Any clue what he text Diane and she replied? Some kind of activation code for a sleeper?

": - )All" was orders to kill them all, I think.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Think I preferred the original Audrey dance.

I thought she did a fine job with the dance, but it's just because of her middle-agedness and the setting that it now has a smell of "Auntie Audrey's had one too many at the wedding disco" about it.

Gotta say. Most well preserved cast in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Great episode and enjoying the series so far. Most shows would have Cooper suffering for two or three episodes before returning to his old self. Instead he is presumably going to be Cooper like for the last three episodes.

Great episode and enjoying the series so far. Most shows would have Cooper suffering for two or three episodes before returning to his old self. Instead he is presumably going to be Cooper like for the last three episodes.

Has to be said that he doesn't seem overly concerned with the prospect of facing down his doppelganger.

Possible ep. 17/18 spoilers herein
    Photos taken by an onlooker at the series 3 filming shows Cooper leading a woman with an auburn bob up the steps of the Palmer house. Tulpa Diane had a bob, although not auburn. If Naido is the real Diane, she does not have a bob. So, I wonder who the bobbed woman might be?

I get the feeling that Polish accountant was having a Falling Down type of a day. People may be under a lot of stress, but any accountant who owns an Uzi would be feeling it extra hard, I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Jim Belushi, Robert Knepper and their 3 Stepford girlfriends are my favourite charachers.

I was going to give up watching after the first few episodes but I'm glad i didn't now, really enjoying the series.

Yeah I would watch a Belushi/Knepper show, whether it's a spinoff or just something that uses their chemistry and comedic talent well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Does Sky Atlantic have ad breaks for the Return?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That sequence in Sheriff Truman's office is the best fight scene in the history of filmic art.

Well well well.

Chapter 17 was the big, action-packed, crowdpleasing climax. A pleasure.
    Chapter 18, in real Lynchian fashion, was the challenging, melancholic, pitch black, aggressively ambiguous epilogue. I thought the happiest ending imaginable was imminent at one point. But no: the mystery continues, as it must. I've been up for 20+ hours so my analytical skills are limited, but certainly the emotional impact of those final shots were potent as all hell. A brave thing to end a show on such a starkly inconclusive note.

What a strange, surprising two hours of television. What a remarkable experience this whole extraordinary season has been.

"I hope to see every one of you again" - here's hoping indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Those ending credits were the most depressing piece of television I've ever seen, stark, it had to be I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I would have preferred if it ended on episode 17 but Lynch gonna Lynch.

Apparently the woman who answered the door in the end is actually the owner of the house in real life!

And we still don't know how Annie is?!

Hmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I went through a vast array of emotions during the Finale, and afterwords really sat down and digest what I had experienced. I went on a bit of a journey and eventually threw together a Blog post on the matter. It's a bit long to re-write it all again, but if anyone's interested in having a read, here it is...
    Pop Culture & Coffee: Twin Peaks Finale - Some Thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

sugarman wrote: »
    Meh.. Tired, lazy and predictable ending. Lynch is stuck in a time warp, rehashing the same old trademark story telling and visuals. The later part of the series has all the trade marks of season 2, as in, no real direction and not knowing how to really wrap things up.

IMO, it probably should have been kept in the past with its cult status.

I wanted to like it, but I couldnt.

It may not be have been your type of show and whilst Ep 18 was a lot of things - predictable was not one of them

It's cliche to say a show/film is critiquing itself, but I think the subtitle of 'the return' says it all. This was a fascinating case of returning to something beloved decades after the fact and deconstructing the hell out of it. It delivered fan service, but also constantly subverted or upset expectations (see the Audrey storyline for example). Many characters returned, but plenty were different or altered in some ways (straight up different people in some cases)... it wasn't a season trying to recapture past glories, as much as one provocatively aware of the impossibilities of doing that. It brought together the old gang, but also literally trampled on that iconic photo of Laura Palmer. Death prevented a Bowie appearance, so they turned his character into a goddamn kettle.

It was also a series about endings. Here and there we saw happy ones - Dougie Jones reuniting with his family, or Norma and Ed getting together after all that time. But equally it was frequently delivering either bleak conclusions or maddening ellipses. If anything, that's what the wonderful rugpull of episode 17 v 18 really brought to the fore. The first was a crowdpleaser, bringing season/series-long arcs to a close. But the following hour was the opposite. And that's as definitively Twin Peaks as it gets.

The original run pretty much indisputably fell apart when its major mystery was solved - the ambiguity giving way to certainty. It was a show that excelled in the space between the familiar and the unexplainable, the space between dreams & reality & nightmares, and of course the pivotal question of 'what the **** is going on'. Frost and Lynch went full-on with this ending to explore that. It felt like time, space and even people were dislodged from the standard rules. Episode 18 is infuriating for sure, but thrillingly so, and the two episodes in tandem feel like the show's purposely conflicting registers - its wacky soap operatics vs nightmarish surrealism - dramatically collided in the most provocative way yet.

It always had to be that way, I reckon. An easy answer would have been disappointing. In the slight delirium of watching it last night, I was hoping there's a season four sometime, and I certainly will be back if there is. But there doesn't need to be: TP: TR ended with its two most pivotal characters out of sync, stuck in limbo and just screaming into an abyss - and nothing seems like a more apt moment to depart the ****ed up world of Twin Peaks, Washington.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I knew 100% he'd pull the rug out from under us all at the end.

• Advertisement

I knew 100% he'd pull the rug out from under us all at the end.

Same here. Episodes 16 and 17 were just so viewer friendly, there was bound to be a twist in the tail. I didn't buy Coop and Diane suddenly becoming an item but I wish they hadn't gone through that electricity(?). The ending of the series is even more haunting and inexplicable than the notorious "How's Annie"? from last time around. I don't know whether I'd like a fourth series or not. I really enjoyed the third series and would love to know where the story goes next. But this being David Lynch, god only knows what sort of mindfck of an ending he'd give us for the fourth series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So much going on in that last episode. Notice how Copper in the end started to take on characteristics of good Coop, bad Coop and Dougie?

The sex scene acting as the transition to the other reality is so Lynch. Anytime characters have sex in his films they are nearly never the same afterwards. In Lost Highway a character literally wakes up as a different person. And here Cooper wakes up in a different motel in an alternate reality.

I feel the same way as johnny_ultimate about the ending. If there's a 4th season, great. If there isn't, great. I don't think we should ever get what feels like a definitive ending to Twin Peaks. The last bite should always get stuck in the throat.

Frustrating ending but it's also right for this show. I'm not sure what was happening and I'm certainly not sure what year this is..

I see there's a book - "Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier" coming out in November that will cover a lot of the events in between seasons two and three:
    win Peaks: The Final Dossier tells us what happened to key characters in the twenty-five years in between the events of the first series and the second, offering details and insights fans will be clamoring for. The novel also adds context and commentary to the strange and cosmic happenings of the new series

So we'll probably find out what happened to Audrey there and maybe some more context on the Lodges. What I don't expect us to find is any answers as to the parallel-"Laura"-lives universe with Agent Dale "Richard" Cooper ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

That last episode was a baffling descent into the stargate nighmaretown of David Lynch's brain. It even out****ed the ending of The Sopranos; which is a hell of an achievement in its own way.

pumpkin4life pictured after watching episode 18, yesterday:

fa8d4b1083bfb959b6b532975d72fc50.jpg

Best series of television to come out in years.

Other telly seems so boring in comparison in all honesty.

I would take or leave another series tbh. I just hope I don't have to wait 25 years for the next one if there is one.

Also interesting that the Palmer house was sold to them by Ms Chalfont who is the old lady with the "cream corn" son that we saw in the original run and in "Fire Walk With Me". She appeared in the Black Lodge meeting that Philip Jeffries saw above the convenience store.
    She also lived in the same trailer park as Theresa Banks but her trailer had disappeared by the time Cooper had shown up.

I'm assuming she's somehow related to Judy and her manipulation of the various universes.

I'm not going to lie and pretend I instantly liked the ending or didn't feel a bit frustrated, but as the day went on, it sank in more and more.

I've talked about Twin Peaks for the past 20 years or so and if it had been given a typically satisfying ending, I doubt I'd be taking about the finale for more than 20 days to come.

So here we go again ;)

• Advertisement

I can see possibly a shorter season, but no guarantee. But no earlier than 2019.

I won't pretend to know what it was all about. Read some theories online. But I enjoyed it.

And after doing a rewatch of the first 2 seasons and the movie before catching up on this series, I now have to go back to a life without Twin Peaks.

Though may check out the Missing Pieces and have The Secret History of Twin Peaks on my bookshelf to read.

Was sure the waitress in Judy's was going to be Annie.

All the talk about electricty over the past couple weeks, at least, just made me think of this

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I liked the ending, frustrating though it was. But the amount of lore and deep mythology they heaped up has me less and less interested in any kind of continuation. There are so many lodge spirits and demons and time-lords and stuff that it's very hard to still feel any kind of connection to the story and characters. It's become more and more dislodged out of space and time and from any kind of recognisable reality and turning into some sort of Eraserhead thing that I don't care about.

I would have liked it a lot more where it shorter and leaner.

I liked the ending, frustrating though it was. But the amount of lore and deep mythology they heaped up has me less and less interested in any kind of continuation. There are so many lodge spirits and demons and time-lords and stuff that it's very hard to still feel any kind of connection to the story and characters. It's become more and more dislodged out of space and time and from any kind of recognisable reality and turning into some sort of Eraserhead thing that I don't care about.

I would have liked it a lot more where it shorter and leaner.

That is sort of the problem with the ending, where you undermine things to the point that people start wondering what the point even is or why they should care about anything they see.

"We live inside a dream, but dreams are fleeting, and they're often hard to remember the next day..."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

I thought the last episode was brilliant. I loved the sense of dread that manifested itself after the motel room scene. That corpse in the living room, the minute you see it and none of the other characters basically even acknowledge it you just know some really dark dreadful stuff was going to go down. Then the car that wasn't following them but they thought it was... all that last 30 minutes was absolute genius artistic work. I'd be a fan of the darker side of artistic effort so that whole work was a real treat for me. I was actually shocked at the end that a mainstream TV outfit would allow the likes of that episode to even be made. It was like a 'Sunn O)))' or 'Wolves in The Throne Room' record turned up to 11 on the TV screen.
    The darkness won in the end and it was f**king fantastic. And that last scene was some real dark stuff. Brilliant work.
    I hope it's all left like that and that's the finish. Can't wait to get the Blu-Ray's, wish they were out the next couple of months so I could enjoy it all again in HI-DEF up in the dark wintry evenings!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

This is absolute genius work also. Bigtime laughs

SPOILERS SPOILERS everywhere

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
Advertisement