Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twin Peaks (2017) [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Another remarkable episode this week for sure. Definitely a swift riposte to suggestions the main narrative(s) isn't moving forward, probably the most urgent episode to date.

Not to say they didn't have space for that strange Twin Peaks magic. The direction is exemplary throughout, but some moments are extraordinarily well-handled. The mysterious figure in the morgue corridor was an inspired piece of horror filmmaking, dread articulated through framing, lighting and that unnerving score.

Loved the way the fight scene was handled, a sudden burst of manic, bizarre intensity. In a way, that unexpected burst of visceral oddness was there as a counterpoint to that relaxed long-shot in the bar - a few extended moments of quiet contemplation in an altogether exhausting episode. There's a peculiar balance to this new season of Twin Peaks, with an endless combination of plots and genres. But there's an artful harmony to it all that this week's episode really illustrates. (see also: that wonderful panning shot of Lynch himself humming serenely against the backdrop of a massive photo of a mushroom cloud).

Also, cannot get enough of Naomi Watts in this. She is just so perfect for the role. Easily the best thing she's done since, well, Mulholland Dr.!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I couldn't stay concentrated on this one. Think it's time to give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Noticed something at the end of this week's episode!

Song playing in the diner at the end of the episode was a version of this:

Which was also used in a 1992 film Sleepwalkers: [URL="http://http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105428/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 with Madchen Amick as one of the stars... just thought that seemed pretty cool! May be just coincidence :)

Really enjoyed the last 2 episodes!

It's also interesting because once that guy came in and yelled "anybody seen ***" (cant remember the name) all the people in the diner switched. Like we'd slept through part of it and woke up later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Do any of you think the whole 'Harry is sick with cancer' story line a bit strange? And that they have his brother constantly talking to him on the phone about how he is. Just not sure what the point of it is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Achasanai wrote: »
    Do any of you think the whole 'Harry is sick with cancer' story line a bit strange? And that they have his brother constantly talking to him on the phone about how he is. Just not sure what the point of it is.

Well the actor who played Harry retired so I guess they didn't want to kill him off screen. It's a bit weird though in its execution,ringing him up each episode.
    This episode featured the third performance from an actor who has since died (and I am not counting Briggs in this or BOB).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I am absolutely loving every second of it, and I'm loving reading all the Easter eggs after each episode and how Lynch-ian it all is. Am I the only one screaming at the TV towards then of every episode hoping it doesnt end. If they released it all together I think I would have binged the whole thing at once!

I'm loving the long draw out scenes that are just Lynch at his finest - there is nothing like watching a scene of someone walking across a room to answer a phone as they shuffle along taking FAR too long or an old bellboy bringing in a shot Cooper his milk. These are inherently Lynch - not just reserved for Twin Peaks - all his works. They build or release tension. They are so important, I find myself grinning like a loon when he does this! The sweeping... just magic.

ixoy wrote: »
    Well the actor who played Harry retired so I guess they didn't want to kill him off screen. It's a bit weird though in its execution,ringing him up each episode.
    This episode featured the third performance from an actor who has since died (and I am not counting Briggs in this or BOB).

Yeah, I heard he'd retired, but it just seems weird that they're calling him every other episode to check on his progress. He could've easily been killed off, after all it's been 25 years. People die or move on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They were probably leaving it open in case he changed his mind - they may have been hoping to convince him to shoot a Skype call or something before they finished shooting. They hoped to get Bowie back as well, hence all the references to Jeffries, but then he got sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

They were probably leaving it open in case he changed his mind - they may have been hoping to convince him to shoot a Skype call or something before they finished shooting. They hoped to get Bowie back as well, hence all the references to Jeffries, but then he got sick.

It's surprising to me that Jeffries would have been considered a main player in the revival and even more surprising that they wanted Bowie back to play him. Bowie was pretty bad in FWWM. That southern American accent he was doing, for starters, was comical, and his overall presentation at no point made me forget that it was Bowie acting a role, because he looked like he stepped off the set of one of his 80s videos.

Given that Bowie passed away, why not just re-cast the role. They recast Donna for FWWM and got away with it. Same could be done for Jeffries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Personally I love the space around the programme, lots of room for it to move. Yes it can be slightly tedious but the last few episodes are really motoring. Some great scenes.

I think people scanning through the "boring" bits are missing the point and are fairly representative of a modern culture who is addicted to now and immediacy and will wait for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

buck65 wrote: »
    Personally I love the space around the programme, lots of room for it to move. Yes it can be slightly tedious but the last few episodes are really motoring. Some great scenes.

I think people scanning through the "boring" bits are missing the point and are fairly representative of a modern culture who is addicted to now and immediacy and will wait for nothing.

It takes incredibly good direction for 3 minutes of sweeping to be in any way acceptable. I'm really happy with the result so far. One show I'm looking forward to weekly.

B_Wayne wrote: »
    It takes incredibly good direction for 3 minutes of sweeping to be in any way acceptable. I'm really happy with the result so far. One show I'm looking forward to weekly.

I was thinking that scene would just cut to the end credits after 5 minutes of sweeping. Now that would have been pure Lynch.

Achasanai wrote: »
    I was thinking that scene would just cut to the end credits after 5 minutes of sweeping. Now that would have been pure Lynch.

I did too but I guess it was even more pure Lynch that a load of people probably assumed it was over and turned off. :pac: But he expected viewer to keep watching.... I honestly find it very refreshing as tv goes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

buck65 wrote: »

I don't think people are necessarily missing the point so much as not agreeing with it, a lot of people loved Twin Peaks because of the story, characters and atmosphere rather than directorial wankery

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I don't think people are necessarily missing the point so much as not agreeing with it, a lot of people loved Twin Peaks because of the story, characters and atmosphere rather than directorial wankery

All part of the package, the "directorial wankery" is part of that magical formula that makes Twin Peaks what it is. Take that out of it and you have a lesser show.

mzungu wrote: »
    All part of the package, the "directorial wankery" is part of that magical formula that makes Twin Peaks what it is. Take that out of it and you have a lesser show.

Sure, but for me and I'm not alone i think, the balance is wrong and too much weighted towards the artistic side. For instance considering all the years we spent poring over every clue and reference on wikis and forums, analysing the mysteries, and now it's back and there's very little discussion about it at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

briany wrote: »
    It's surprising to me that Jeffries would have been considered a main player in the revival and even more surprising that they wanted Bowie back to play him. Bowie was pretty bad in FWWM. That southern American accent he was doing, for starters, was comical, and his overall presentation at no point made me forget that it was Bowie acting a role, because he looked like he stepped off the set of one of his 80s videos.

Given that Bowie passed away, why not just re-cast the role. They recast Donna for FWWM and got away with it. Same could be done for Jeffries.

Bowie was expected to return but got sick, so maybe they did re-cast, we don't know. It's also been speculated that Bowie may have secretly shot some footage, but I think it's unlikely.

I'm starting to think there's more to Dougie Jones than him being a decoy. I think if you merged good Cooper and bad Cooper together, Dougie is pretty close to what you would end up with. A lovable loser who sells insurance, gambles and cheats on his wife. In other words, Dougie Jones is what Cooper would be in real life. I always felt that when Cooper entered the Lodge he was split in two, but Cooper is so virtuous it's hard to imagine there was any evil in there. What if Dougie is the original Cooper? Kinda like the Mulholland Drive twist.

I'm starting to think there's more to Dougie Jones than him being a decoy. I think if you merged good Cooper and bad Cooper together, Dougie is pretty close to what you would end up with. A lovable loser who sells insurance, gambles and cheats on his wife. In other words, Dougie Jones is what Cooper would be in real life. I always felt that when Cooper entered the Lodge he was split in two, but Cooper is so virtuous it's hard to imagine there was any evil in there. What if Dougie is the original Cooper? Kinda like the Mulholland Drive twist.

Wouldn't he just be old Cooper? Or you think that we will not see 'original personality' Cooper again? It was something I was thinking recently after rewatching the start of the first season last week, that the original Cooper would be very out of place in the current show as he used to have such an energy to everything he did. Either the current malaise that seems to be infecting most of the other characters in the show is related to his own current state (sometimes I actually wonder if he really made it back to the real universe, some of the people around him act so odd and don't notice how odd he acts) and when he snaps out of it so will everyone else, or it will stay the same and Cooper in which case I don't think he can return to his old self, the tone would just be too jarring.

On a slightly related noted, did anyone here ever play the game Alan Wake? It was very heavily influenced by Twin Peaks and
    followed a similar idea with a 'evil' doppelganger of the main character (Mr. Scratch) being created while he is trapped in another dimension

Wouldn't he just be old Cooper? Or you think that we will not see 'original personality' Cooper again?

I'm speculating that old Cooper himself might have been the result of an encounter with the Lodge. Remember that Cooper was dreaming about the Lodge in season 1, long before he went there. And Laura had a vision telling her that good Cooper was in the Lodge even earlier. When she dies Cooper is already there as well. Obviously time is different in the Lodge. But Cooper was always a very idealised character. Nobody is that virtuous. In Mulholland Drive, Betty and Rita find out that they are both different sides of the same woman called Diane. Well maybe good Cooper and bad Cooper are different sides of Dougie Jones.

• Advertisement

I'm speculating that old Cooper himself might have been the result of an encounter with the Lodge. Remember that Cooper was dreaming about the Lodge in season 1, long before he went there. And Laura had a vision telling her that good Cooper was in the Lodge even earlier. When she dies Cooper is already there as well. Obviously time is different in the Lodge. But Cooper was always a very idealised character. Nobody is that virtuous. In Mulholland Drive, Betty and Rita find out that they are both different sides of the same woman called Diane. Well maybe good Cooper and bad Cooper are different sides of Dougie Jones.

If Dougie was the real guy, then why'd he turn into a pearl?

If Dougie was the real guy, then why'd he turn into a pearl?

I don't know, but I had a couple of thoughts about the pearl and what happened to Dougie:

I was reminded of what Hawke said about if you confront the Lodge with an imperfect courage it will destroy your soul. When Dougie entered the Lodge he was reduced to just the green ring and the golden pearl. I think the pearl might be his soul, but may be significant to Cooper in some way too. Dougie had no shoes on when got pulled into the Lodge, and so Cooper came through without his shoes as well. And Cooper seems to be missing something. His shoes obviously but possibly something else as well.

I was also thinking of the key in Mulholland Drive and how it causes Betty to disappear and soon after Rita too. And how Agent Desmond disappears in FWWM when he touches the ring.

I don't know, but I had a couple of thoughts about the pearl and what happened to Dougie:

I was reminded of what Hawke said about if you confront the Lodge with an imperfect courage it will destroy your soul. When Dougie entered the Lodge he was reduced to just the green ring and the golden pearl. I think the pearl might be his soul, but may be significant to Cooper in some way too. Dougie had no shoes on when got pulled into the Lodge, and so Cooper came through without his shoes as well. And Cooper seems to be missing something. His shoes obviously but possibly something else as well.

I was also thinking of the key in Mulholland Drive and how it causes Betty to disappear and soon after Rita too. And how Agent Desmond disappears in FWWM when he touches the ring.

Dougie turned into a pearl because MIKE said he was 'manufactured' and therefore that little pearl was all the substance he was worth inside the Lodges. What Hawk was referring to was his people's legend of 'The Dweller on the Threshold', presumably the shadow self. This is what ends up being Windom Earle's undoing when he steps into the Black Lodge.

Dougie turned into a pearl because MIKE said he was 'manufactured' and therefore that little pearl was all the substance he was worth inside the Lodges. What Hawk was referring to was his people's legend of 'The Dweller on the Threshold', presumably the shadow self. This is what ends up being Windom Earle's undoing when he steps into the Black Lodge.

Yeah but then what happened to Cooper when he entered the Lodge? Even if we don't doubt his courage, we have to assume he was tricked. And even a shadow self is part of who that person is - an manifestation of repressed memories and subconscious fears etc. But I have trouble imagining bad Cooper as being any part of good Cooper, whose purity in the original series was unassailable.

I also have a hard time getting my head around the idea that Dougie Jones and his whole life was just a manufactured decoy. I think there has to be more to him than that, even if it's just that he's an alternate reality Cooper who abandoned the virtuous path.

Even if good Cooper returns and bad Cooper is vanquished back to the Lodge, what happens then? I get the feeling bad Cooper has left Cooper's life in ruin to such an extent that there will be no going back to it, and that he may have no choice but to become Dougie Jones, but with all Cooper's virtuous qualities. That might be a nice ending actually.

Yeah but then what happened to Cooper when he entered the Lodge? Even if we don't doubt his courage, we have to assume he was tricked. And even a shadow self is part of who that person is - an manifestation of repressed memories and subconscious fears etc. But I have trouble imagining bad Cooper as being any part of good Cooper, whose purity in the original series was unassailable.

I also have a hard time getting my head around the idea that Dougie Jones and his whole life was just a manufactured decoy. I think there has to be more to him than that, even if it's just that he's an alternate reality Cooper who abandoned the virtuous path.

Even if good Cooper returns and bad Cooper is vanquished back to the Lodge, what happens then? I get the feeling bad Cooper has left Cooper's life in ruin to such an extent that there will be no going back to it, and that he may have no choice but to become Dougie Jones, but with all Cooper's virtuous qualities. That might be a nice ending actually.

Dale did do things which were not virtuous, or at least one - he conducted an affair with the wife of a former FBI colleague. I don't think Cooper's original characterisation had as much to do with the idea that he was a truly pure individual, but that the original Twin Peaks painted the FBI men as eccentrically one-dimensional. Therefore, I think Dale had a dark side to be drawn upon.

If Dougie were an alternate Dale, then it would make me wonder why MIKE said he was manufactured?An alternate, yet naturally-conceived Dale would surely still have some value in the spiritual realm. I have to think that Phillip Jeffries is at the center of the whole mystery.

If by ruining Dale's life you mean robbing him of 25 years, then yeah. If Dale comes around and gets to defeat Bad Cooper, then returning to Janey-E and being the husband that her unwavering loyalty would appear to deserve, would be a nice, if somewhat pat for Twin Peaks, type of ending.

Dale did do things which were not virtuous, or at least one - he conducted an affair with the wife of a former FBI colleague. I don't think Cooper's original characterisation had as much to do with the idea that he was a truly pure individual, but that the original Twin Peaks painted the FBI men as eccentrically one-dimensional. Therefore, I think Dale had a dark side to be drawn upon.

If Dougie were an alternate Dale, then it would make me wonder why MIKE said he was manufactured?An alternate, yet naturally-conceived Dale would surely still have some value in the spiritual realm. I have to think that Phillip Jeffries is at the center of the whole mystery.

If by ruining Dale's life you mean robbing him of 25 years, then yeah. If Dale comes around and gets to defeat Bad Cooper, then returning to Janey-E and being the husband that her unwavering loyalty would appear to deserve, would be a nice, if somewhat pat for Twin Peaks, type of ending.

It's more than just years Cooper has lost to bad Cooper. It's implied in the last episode that bad Cooper may have sexually assaulted Diane and possibly Audrey as well. And we don't know what other evil he has set in motion. I can't see Lynch just letting Cooper off the hook for that. At a minimum he will have to take responsibility for being tricked by Bob/badCoop.

I must have blanked out most of the second season because I forgot about Cooper's affair. I dunno, I still think Lynch sees Cooper as an overgrown boy-scout and as such not particularly interesting in himself. I'm not sure my Dougie theory will literally be the answer, but I think it might be a valuable way of understanding the good/bad Cooper divide and how it may be resolved.

It's more than just years Cooper has lost to bad Cooper. It's implied in the last episode that bad Cooper may have sexually assaulted Diane and possibly Audrey as well. And we don't know what other evil he has set in motion. I can't see Lynch just letting Cooper off the hook for that. At a minimum he will have to take responsibility for being tricked by Bob/badCoop.

I must have blanked out most of the second season because I forgot about Cooper's affair. I dunno, I still think Lynch sees Cooper as an overgrown boy-scout and as such not particularly interesting in himself. I'm not sure my Dougie theory will literally be the answer, but I think it might be a valuable way of understanding the good/bad Cooper divide and how it may be resolved.
    I didn't think of it like that until now, I assumed it was just a one night stand before Coop left for Twin Peaks

I didn't think of it like that until now, I assumed it was just a one night stand before Coop left for Twin Peaks

Possibly, but I don't think she was acting like a spurned lover. She initially wanted nothing to do with him, yet she was still his secretary while he was in Twin Peaks 25 years earlier. She specifically references what happened that night rather than what didn't happen afterwards. If Cooper did something to hurt her I think he would have been sensitive enough to know it, but he was happily recording tapes for her as if nothing had happened.

If Dale sexually assaulted Diane, there's still the chance that Diane could reconcile this be recognising that it wasn't really her Cooper who did it. Already, she appears to have twigged that the man who sat before her wasn't really Dale. So, it's not a short leap to wonder if it was the same man that night. I'm not sure on the assault theory, but this is just for argument's sake. If Diane knew Dale to be a kind and virtuous man, who one night showed up and had his way with her, she could come to conclusion that something was very, very wrong.

On the Audrey angle, if Dale went to her hospital room and violated her in her comatose state....Well, it's about the skeeziest thing a man could do to another individual, but it's not exactly an act to ruin Dale's life because surely you'd want to commit an act that everyone saw so as to be incriminatory.

Beyond that, Bad Cooper appeared to go to ground after leaving Twin Peaks. Not in a literal sense, but in the sense that none of his activities alerted any authorities. He only just came back on the FBI radar. And already two of his colleagues are not sure if it's the real Dale Cooper, so if the real Dale Cooper came back, why'd he be held to account? He may have to live with any hurt Bad Coop caused, but I really don't know about taking any responsibility for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Sure, but for me and I'm not alone i think, the balance is wrong and too much weighted towards the artistic side.
    I think they are starting to balance it out a bit more now, the last episode was straightforward (for Lynch anyway :D) and if this season is to be treated as one long movie, it might be the case that it will shift between the artistic set piece and the conventional story
    For instance considering all the years we spent poring over every clue and reference on wikis and forums, analysing the mysteries, and now it's back and there's very little discussion about it at all.
    It is different as to what it was back in the 90s, but the mystery is still there. One such example being the sound Ben and his secretary heard in Great Northern. I've come across lots of theorising in articles and there is loads on (American) discussion sites about this series and how it fits it with FWWM and S01 & 02.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well that wasn't an episode for those looking for some plot progression :pac:

Probably the most aesthetically extraordinary episode in the history of television - I don't say such things light, but that really was a hell of a trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What the actual f*** did I just watch? My brain hurts and I'm not entirely sure whether I was meant to understand any of that or not, but I still think I really liked it despite feeling somewhat violated and possibly brainwashed...

giphy.gif

Well, I've slept on that, and what can be said?

It truly was unlike anything that has yet been broadcast on TV, even by this series' thus far extraordinary standards. It was purely experimental in form, long stretches of glitchy, hostile sight & sound. It at times felt like a darker flip side and extension to the 2001 'beyond the infinite' section. It was at times as dreamily beautiful as it was nightmarishly unnerving.

If all of that meant nothing, it would still have been a hell of a watch and an accomplishment. But despite the abstraction, this feels like an episode that wants to summarise some of the core themes of the series, and indeed Lynch's filmography in its entirely. It is about humanity's dark side, and a lust for violence and destruction. It's about how that's countered by genuine goodness. It is, frankly, the oldest story of them all - but trust David Lynch and Mark Frost to make a basic 'good vs evil' story feel fresh again.

There's something very special about the approach to special effects in this show. It really does feel otherworldly - from that terrifying 'blood smearing' sequence to the CGI effects that boast uncommon presence. The recent David Lynch: The Art Life documentary shows the physicality with which Lynch approaches his artwork - even if much of this is digital in origin, he's managed to translate that weird tangibility to the visuals here.

I cannot stress how much I adore this show. It really is the programme I've always hoped television as a medium had in it, and it's surpassing all expectations.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Got a light?

• Advertisement

So... Questions.

1) Am I right to assume that BOB was created during the Trinity test? As in the blast created some sort of philisophical ripple in existence that led to the creation of perhaps a number of entities, of which BOB was one?

2) Was the soul of Laura Palmer sent to earth in a deliberate way? A pure spirit who was given to the world, and who was fated to meet with BOB?

3) Can I take it that BOB has now left Bad Cooper?

4) Were the Woodsmen also elemental type spirits who were created by the blast?

That was the most extraordinary piece of television that I have ever seen. I think I'll watch it again during the week just to fully appreciate it.
    Well that wasn't an episode for those looking for some plot progression :pac:

Probably the most aesthetically extraordinary episode in the history of television - I don't say such things light, but that really was a hell of a trip.
    So... Questions.

1) Am I right to assume that BOB was created during the Trinity test? As in the blast created some sort of philisophical ripple in existence that led to the creation of perhaps a number of entities, of which BOB was one?

2) Was the soul of Laura Palmer sent to earth in a deliberate way? A pure spirit who was given to the world, and who was fated to meet with BOB?

I think the first one is a maybe. Second, I have absolutely no idea. Number 3, I don't think so. Fourth one is a maybe again. I'm not sure if I can be definite about anything after what I just watch. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Well that was pretty crazy alright! :)

I suppose to continue on my music related connections theme from last week, first thing i though of was this old video from "The Nine Inch Nails" as they were announced at the Bang Bang this week.

NSFW btw!!

I knew Reznor and Lynch had collaborated before, but didn't know until tonight that Lynch had directed a NIN video! So here's that one as well, this comes with an Epilepsy warning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

As much as this is great television, I really really wish I'd seen that episode in a cinema. So good!

WTF.

The OH is almost out after this episode but I've convinced him to give it another go. It's certainly memorable and there's been nothing remotely like it ever on TV that I'm aware of.
    Yeah, I'm assuming that was the creation of BOB or, if not that, then it created a rift between our world and another and BOB got through.
    Was the soul of Laura Palmer sent to earth in a deliberate way? A pure spirit who was given to the world, and who was fated to meet with BOB?
    Yeah, I agree with that. The weird dumb-bell thing was an alarm and the Giant births the soul/spirit of Laura. Not sure who the other spirit woman is that pushes Laura to earth. It also makes a bit more sense of the glowing bright Laura we see in FWWM.
    Not sure - maybe? I mean we were looking at an origin story here.
    Not sure who the hell they were. Was that one of them last week in the morgue? And what were they doing at White Sands.

Also: What was the insect/frog thing? Is it carrying Laura's soul - was that Sarah Palmer that it climbed into? She was born though in 1946, which'd make her 10 in that sequence which seems a bit young.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »

Also: What was the insect/frog thing? Is it carrying Laura's soul - was that Sarah Palmer that it climbed into? She was born though in 1946, which'd make her 10 in that sequence which seems a bit young.

I'd have to think it was carrying BOB. The Woodsman facilitated that event with his poem and killing the radio staff. Seems like a pretty evil act to provide a host for a good spirit. Although, you could say that the line between good and evil isn't always clear in a show as crazy as Twin Peaks is.

I read another interesting theory that the girl isn't Sarah Palmer, but rather the boy is Gordon Cole, and it's the apparent subsequent possession of his sweetheart that gives him a lifelong interest in the paranormal and which leads to his 'blue rose' cases in the FBI. Food for thought.

One interesting thought is that I don't think I've never actually seen a TP spirit entity appear in a tangible earthly form. This makes me wonder about the nature of the Woodsmen because at least one certainly appeared in a physical form, crushing the skull of a DJ and a secretary. Were they men possessed or something else entirely?

Jaysus, that was deadly. Must give it a rewatch tomorrow.

I'd have to think it was carrying BOB. The Woodsman facilitated that event with his poem and killing the radio staff. Seems like a pretty evil act to provide a host for a good spirit. Although, you could say that the line between good and evil isn't always clear in a show as crazy as Twin Peaks is.
    The Woodsman are unusually physical. So they did a very odd lullaby to allow their vessel to enter ?????? (as she's credited). It definitely wouldn't make sense then that it's Laura if that's the case.
    Why the intervening years though - BOB was "birthed" in '46.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

... It's implied in the last episode that bad Cooper may have sexually assaulted Diane and possibly Audrey as well.

...I dunno, I still think Lynch sees Cooper as an overgrown boy-scout and as such not particularly interesting in himself...

I had an idea last week based on the whole possible "did something bad to Diane" idea. That Cooper was a sociopath all along, his voice memos just taunting Diane all along as though nothing ever happened. When his doppleganger came out it was just a purified form of his already existing evil. The whole "thumbs up, cherry-pie loving persona" was just a facade to fit in. All that was left was a shell, the facade, which is why Dougie seems so "empty". He's just the facade, trying to mimic his way to normality...

Crazy, drunken theory, but it's the only show that make we want to have a theory at the moment! :)

Coop asks MIKE during the police interrogation in 1989 'Is BOB near us now?' Mike replies 'For nearly 40 years in... 'The Great Northern Hotel''. This would imply that he had already possessed, Leland who was born in 44, around 1950 or so?

Woodsmen also appear during the garmonbozia meeting from FWWM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Could Richard Horne (who knocked down the child) be the son of Audrey and bad Cooper?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Could Richard Horne (who knocked down the child) be the son of Audrey and bad Cooper?

Yeah, I've thinking that since he appeared. In the first episode the Giant told Cooper "Richard and Linda, two birds with the one stone", which suggests that Richard and Linda might be twins. We haven't met Linda yet, but she seems to be married to the trailer park guy (who Harry Dean Staton gave a ride to in part 6) and is in a wheelchair.

As for episode 8: Holy crap!

I need to watch it again and pay attention to the backstory being told, but I'm not convinced that the bomb was the birth of Bob. As riffmongous said, he had seemingly being possessing Leland and lurking around Twin Peaks for 40 years, which doesn't match up the timeline seen in this episode. But the bomb does appear to be the birth of "Mother" (i.e. the experiment that kills the couple in the first episode) who seemingly gives birth to Bob, so maybe they are playing around with time. The giant is older when he sees the bomb for the first time even though it happened in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Another theory is The Woodsman is the Log Ladys husband who was a lumberjack, who died in a fire on their wedding night. The Log Lady says her husband “met the devil.”

I loved that episode - I love the sense of disruption.

I somewhat preferred the idea that BOB was a spirit as old as humanity itself. A demonic entity. We know the Lodges predate the bomb because of Hawk's people's beliefs, so have different spirits inhabited it throughout time? The bomb birth holds the idea that a spirit can be created, but can one be destroyed?

Two weeks until the next episode... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement