Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twin Peaks (2017) [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Two weeks until the next episode... :(

We who binged the first 4 eps on the first week know this pain already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

briany wrote: »
    We who binged the first 4 eps on the first week know this pain already.

It didn't feel so bad then, though, since we had 4 episodes to digest. But I guess we can just watch part 8 a few more times. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Da Fuq did I just watch ?
    I'll need to watch twice more to get it....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I somewhat preferred the idea that BOB was a spirit as old as humanity itself. A demonic entity. We know the Lodges predate the bomb because of Hawk's people's beliefs, so have different spirits inhabited it throughout time? The bomb birth holds the idea that a spirit can be created, but can one be destroyed?

It sort of looks like the Woodsmen did some sort of ritual at the time of the explosion to call forth BOB from MOTHER. Perhaps Mother is some sort of older, baser form of evil being and BOB is a fraction of its essence, less powerful but capable of interacting more with humans due to it's summoning. There was also MIKE who described BOB as his familiar but other than that seemed to be a similar being to BOB

It reminds me a bit of the Chaos Daemons from the Warhammer universe, other dimensional beings created from strong human emotions.

While the BOB origin story is interesting, what is maybe more important is the Laura Palmer creation scene, it has huge implications for all the old episodes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

While the BOB origin story is interesting, what is maybe more important is the Laura Palmer creation scene, it has huge implications for all the old episodes

It could also be the creation of The Dwarf's cousin/Lodge version of Laura as she was first introduced to Cooper is his original dream. But then again it could be the Maddy Ferguson creation... :)

Here's the original dream btw :)

Ah, so many possibilities, Part 8 just has me thinking back to all sorts!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I kinda like the idea that Laura was a being of the White Lodge, a sort of angel sent to Earth. That she was pure and good despite everything she did and which happened to her. Alternatively perhaps what we saw the Giant create was not Laura herself but her guardian angel. Angels figure quite a lot in FWWM. At one point Laura describes falling through space, faster and faster, with no angel to help her. The angel in her painting disappears but later re-appears at the end in the Black Lodge.

Speaking of which, I don't think the red room is the black lodge, rather a kind of in-between place or "waiting room" as it was originally described to Cooper. Which means we probably haven't seen it yet. If so, what we saw in this episode may only be a taste of of the craziness to come. According to Hawk, a spirit must travel through the black lodge to reach the white lodge. Just imagine how Lynch would visualise this.

I kinda like the idea that Laura was a being of the White Lodge, a sort of angel sent to Earth. That she was pure and good despite everything she did and which happened to her. Alternatively perhaps what we saw the Giant create was not Laura herself but her guardian angel. Angels figure quite a lot in FWWM. At one point Laura describes falling through space, faster and faster, with no angel to help her. The angel in her painting disappears but later re-appears at the end in the Black Lodge.
    I need to rewatch her appearance at the very start of this season, I think that might make more sense now
    Speaking of which, I don't think the red room is the black lodge, rather a kind of in-between place or "waiting room" as it was originally described to Cooper. Which means we probably haven't seen it yet. If so, what we saw in this episode may only be a taste of of the craziness to come. According to Hawk, a spirit must travel through the black lodge to reach the white lodge. Just imagine how Lynch would visualise this.

Yes, the black and white floor design also points towards a neutral area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not a clue what that episode was about.

I think this series is only suited to fans of Lynch and not a wider audience.

I could follow the original as there was an actual story but this is too far out there for me, kinda disappointed because I was looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've just had this bizarre image all day now in my head:

Radio Host: Now caller, talk to Joe
    Caller: Well Joe I was mindin' me on business
    Radio Host: Go on
    [Noise in background and then a sound a little bit like whimpering]
    Caller: and sure next thing didn't he
    Radio Host: This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within.
    Caller: Sorry Joe?
    Radio Host: This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within.
    [Caller falls asleep]

That and if anyone scruffy with a hat asks me if I've got a light.. well I'm running.

Saw this earlier, thought it was pretty cool

DDXJHCFUIAAW3RK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Incredible episode, I love what he's doing

ixoy wrote: »
    I've just had this bizarre image all day now in my head:

Radio Host: Now caller, talk to Joe
    Caller: Well Joe I was mindin' me on business
    Radio Host: Go on
    [Noise in background and then a sound a little bit like whimpering]
    Caller: and sure next thing didn't he
    Caller: Sorry Joe?
    [Caller falls asleep]

That and if anyone scruffy with a hat asks me if I've got a light.. well I'm running.

I feel like, if that happened, the antagonist would be asking for a smoke, rather than a light, and he wouldn't be nearly as articulate in any poem reading. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

The latest episode was a huge improvement on what went before this season, not that that would be hard (imo).

I'd love to know though, is what we're seeing now true to Lynch's original vision for the series, or has it evolved into something completely different over the 2 decades it's been off our screens? I mean, if the show hadn't been cancelled way back then would season 3 circa 1992 have closely resembled the current season? Or would we have gotten something completely different? Has Lynch ever addressed that question? Would love some links, if so!

doxy wrote: »
    The latest episode was a huge improvement on what went before this season, not that that would be hard (imo).

I'd love to know though, is what we're seeing now true to Lynch's original vision for the series, or has it evolved into something completely different over the 2 decades it's been off our screens? I mean, if the show hadn't been cancelled way back then would season 3 circa 1992 have closely resembled the current season? Or would we have gotten something completely different? Has Lynch ever addressed that question? Would love some links, if so!

This season involves all the actors being 25 years older, so had the series been renewed in the '90s the story obviously would have been very different. But in terms of the mythology, they are clearly following up on things that Lynch and Frost hinted at in other mediums over the years. Annie telling Laura that Dale is in the Lodge in FWWM, various things revealed in Frost's books, etc, some of which had probably been planned for a third season.

One thing for sure is that unlike the original show, Lynch had complete creative control over this. So its arguably truer to his vision than the original series, which he lost interest in during the second season. He also had various frustrations with how other directors handled it and with ABC forcing him to resolve the Laura Palmer mystery. Plus the usual restrictions of episodic tv back then. This series is Lynch unleashed in way that we've never seen him before.

• Advertisement

doxy wrote: »

I think Lynch has had different creative visions. A lot of what became Twin Peaks was conceptualized before the TV network started interfering, so the idea that it wasn't at least originally true to Lynch's vision would be off the mark.

Lynch and Frost subsequently did a series called On the Air - a really silly sitcom about the mishaps occurring at a TV station in the 50s. It's weird, colourful and corny, but it represents the other end of the Frost/Lynch spectrum, and makes you think that the original Twin Peaks was more somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

What we're seeing now is just a swing to the darker end, but there are still lighter moments when it actually gets back to the town, with the Moran family, in particular, but also Dr. Jacoby and his golden shít-digging shovel. :pac:

Back onto the more conventional storytelling track now after the sensory overload of e8. Really, really enjoyed this episode. More and more we're seeing how the pieces are fitting together. If you'll notice, also, there's a bit more humour coming into play now as well, at least in this episode. Still a couple of scenes that didn't really fit into anything as of yet. Was that Johnny Horne running around the house before suddenly cracking his head open?

Also, Bill Hastings' site is up. No doubt fans will be trawling through this as I write.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭patrickSTARR

Hi Guys, recently started watching the original show to gear me up for the modern day show. I expected it to be weird and out there, which it is, but not nearly too the extent I expected.

Watching the old episodes brings a great nostalgic feeling. The music is fabulous and the performances are all enjoyable in their own unique way. Currently on episode 8 of Season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hi Guys, recently started watching the original show to gear me up for the modern day show. I expected it to be weird and out there, which it is, but not nearly too the extent I expected.

Watching the old episodes brings a great nostalgic feeling. The music is fabulous and the performances are all enjoyable in their own unique way. Currently on episode 8 of Season 2.
    Middle of Season two is terrible, would only bother watching the last 4 or 5 episodes.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Middle of Season two is terrible, would only bother watching the last 4 or 5 episodes.

Those episodes aren't totally without merit. They definitely represent a drop off in quality, too, but there's enough in them that if you didn't watch them, you wouldn't be getting the complete experience, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Those episodes aren't totally without merit. They definitely represent a drop off in quality, too, but there's enough in them that if you didn't watch them, you wouldn't be getting the complete experience, imo.

The middle of season two really is a chore to watch. For the most part it felt like there was no real story... All that stuff with James and the rich woman etc.. picks up just at the end of the series again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Is anyone else getting tired of Dougie? I thought his whole strange behaviour would end after a couple episodes, but it seems to be dragging out. I miss Cooper!

The cop with the great laugh in the last episode was a highlight though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

I watched the first couple of episodes of season three and it flew over my head. I couldn't grasp it. I never watched season 1 & 2 and thought it was best to give them a watch first. I'm up to the 5th episode in season two and am loving it while recording season 3 each week.

How is season 3? Is it worth persisting with after I finish watching season 2.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting tired of Dougie? I thought his whole strange behaviour would end after a couple episodes, but it seems to be dragging out. I miss Cooper!

The cop with the great laugh in the last episode was a highlight though.

I don't think Dougie's behaviour is something you can exactly snap out of. 25 years in the Lodge followed by being excreted into the world through an electrical outlet will do that to a man. Slowly but surely he's coming to his senses. What the story appears to be setting up is that Cole will be able to find Cooper because those fingerprints will be ran and will match.

.. followed by being excreted into the world through an electrical outlet will do that to a man.

lol

i was thinking the same about the effects of the lodge after 25 years though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I don't think Dougie's behaviour is something you can exactly snap out of. 25 years in the Lodge followed by being excreted into the world through an electrical outlet will do that to a man. Slowly but surely he's coming to his senses.

Lol! Brilliant!

I definitely think its the brilliant of Lynch though - he loves to push things beyone their point... annoyance, infuriating, uncomfortable, boredom until you either want to die laughing or pull your own skin off just to make it stop.

The whole point is disruption - just when you think you have had enough, he keeps pushing it some more, disrupting everything you think you know what should happen.

But yes cant help but miss old Coop but I'm loving the journey!

lol

i was thinking the same about the effects of the lodge after 25 years though!

I thought Cooper looked relatively aware when he was sitting in the Lodge, and making his way through the Mauve Zone, though. He was able to respond and interact in a way that showed he'd retained his marbles up to that point. It's only when he re-entered the physical world that it was like his brain got wiped somehow.

It's also worth remembering that he first re-entered the world through that portal in NY, but was scuppered by that box. It's like coming into the world through the Mauve Zone and on through the electrical socket represented a fairly serious backdoor, and as such would have unintended side effects, whereas coming in as the Lodge intended would have allowed him to retain his personality from the off.

Then again, on that box - what would have happened if it weren't there? What if there was nothing designed to catch him at all? Would have fallen flat on his face on the pavement outside? As bad as coming in through an electrical socket and needing a memory jogging might be, it probably still beats a fall from a height of 20 stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭reece289

The scene with the ciggie out front was great. shift, look over, shift, stare, shift..... on and on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Another episode that started off well, completely lost me in the middle and finished on a nice musical number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I wonder what diabolical fate awaits Richard Horne before the end of the series? He's so unspeakably vile, it's almost as if he's being lined up to have something supernatural and dreadful happen to him.

• Advertisement

Hello Johnny, how are you today? Hello Johnny, how are you today? Hello Johnny, how are you today?

Lynch knows how to form a freaky nightmare scene.

I wonder what diabolical fate awaits Richard Horne before the end of the series? He's so unspeakably vile, it's almost as if he's being lined up to have something supernatural and dreadful happen to him.

Would be all too neat for him to get his comeuppance. There's a theory going around that Richard Horne is the son of Bad Coop due to that little mysterious hospital visit Bad Coop paid to Audrey when she was in the coma, according to Doc Hayward's recollection. However, you'd think that her impregnation while in a coma would have been noted by Doc, which it was not.

If simply the no-good child of Audrey and John Justice Wheeler, Richard would still show a lot of promise as a willing vessel for a Black Lodge spirit, and perhaps this invitation has already been taken.

I wonder will he get sucked into the Black Lodge at some stage? Perhaps as a replacement for someone/something else?

I wonder will he get sucked into the Black Lodge at some stage? Perhaps as a replacement for someone/something else?
    BOB is free now right? He might need a new host..

He's so irredeemably evil, I wonder is he hosting something already? Not BOB but another entity?

Im 8 episodes into Season 2 now and its become a chore nearly. The pace has really slowed up. The last few episodes feel like they are building towards something but the build and pace is so slow its not making for great viewing.

Sticking with it though as I don't want to miss anything that might be relevant in the new series.

Im 8 episodes into Season 2 now and its become a chore nearly. The pace has really slowed up. The last few episodes feel like they are building towards something but the build and pace is so slow its not making for great viewing.

Sticking with it though as I don't want to miss anything that might be relevant in the new series.

You could skip to the last half season 2 & then just watch Fire Walk with Me before you start on Season 3 - Fire walk with me is more relevant to season 3 than much of whats in Season 2.

Episode 17 in Season 2 is where Annie comes into it & its good from there until the end.

color_girl wrote: »
    You could skip to the last half season 2 & then just watch Fire Walk with Me before you start on Season 3 - Fire walk with me is more relevant to season 3 than much of whats in Season 2.

Episode 17 in Season 2 is where Annie comes into it & its good from there until the end.

That's ages away. Im gonna try stick with it.

Fire Walk With Me is the movie prequel , would I be right in saying that

That's ages away. Im gonna try stick with it.

Fire Walk With Me is the movie prequel , would I be right in saying that

Do stick with it - I know its not a popular opinion but there are still parts of season 2 I really enjoyed so I would be fan of sticking with it!

Fire Walk with me is a prequel and it also answers alot of questions from the first 2 seasons & there are a few easter eggs in there for the 3rd season aswell. I think it was made because they werent allow say what they wanted to say in Season 2, they made the film to do it their own way.

• Advertisement

I rewatched all of Twin Peaks before starting on this series. I'd forgotten how awful those half dozen or so episodes are. I ploughed through them but I'm not sure I should have bothered. If you've had enough and want to skip forward, these recaps are pretty good http://nerdist.com/tag/twin-peaks-revisited/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

I'm up to episode 13 in season 2 and I'm wondering at times since episode 8/9 where the show is going from here. I think it was around this point that the ratings started dropping off when it was first shown.

I will stick with it as I have been told the ending is relevant to some of the stuff in the opening episode of season 3.

I'm up to episode 13 in season 2 and I'm wondering at times since episode 8/9 where the show is going from here. I think it was around this point that the ratings started dropping off when it was first shown.

I will stick with it as I have been told the ending is relevant to some of the stuff in the opening episode of season 3.

Im of this thinking above. But I am finding it a choir now at episode 10. Its all seems like filler with nothing significant happening. But Ill soldier on.

Skip episodes 11 to 19 of season 2. Lynch wasn't involved in those episodes and nothing important to the new series happens in them. Even 20 and 21 are pretty weak but provide context for the finale, which along with FWWM is essential for the new series.

I can answer this... nowhere.

I think most people were on the same page with Season 2, after the reveal and wrap up of the Laura story they had nothing... The Windom Earle story kicked off towards the end but too late.

Oh but if he skips those episodes, he'll miss James exciting affair with a cougar. We can all agree that's one of the best arcs of any show ever, yes?

Whatever you do skip though, Twin Peaks: FWWM is essential. There's more references to it than nearly any other events in the show's second season, bar the finale.

• Advertisement

For better or worse, there's a run of episodes in S2 that might be tedious but are still canonical, and they contain exposition for a number of characters throughout the town. I'd say watch them if you're a fan of the show, and want the whole story, not just some a la carte version.

The scene outside the diner in the latest episode is 'very David lynch'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

"Yep, he's dead!"

With maybe 6 and a half hours of story left, it makes me wonder how much will be revealed. Still more questions than answers at this point, and it's probable, with Lynch and Frost being at the helm, that several aren't intended to be answered. It's also apparent at this point that the series was never about Cooper's return to Twin Peaks so much as it's about his journey back to being himself, or as close as he can be to himself after 25 years in a limbo.

Also wondering when we're going to see Big Ed. Not that he's a hugely important character, but I find it funny that Lynch had apparently rung around back in 2015 or so, looking for him, and had a meet-up with him, only for the possibility that Ed only ends up in one or two scenes, and scenes of little consequence at that.

But I'm still fairly confident of some sort of confrontation because the imperative at the start of this was that one Dale must return to the Lodge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Also wondering when we're going to see Big Ed. Not that he's a hugely important character, but I find it funny that Lynch had apparently rung around back in 2015 or so, looking for him, and had a meet-up with him, only for the possibility that Ed only ends up in one or two scenes, and scenes of little consequence at that.

Maybe the Bookhouse Boys will all get recruited to Hawk's quest and we'll see Ed then

• Advertisement
Advertisement