Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds Sunday evening/night, Oct 5/6th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Rain has eased off but winds haven't stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Very windy at times here in Carlow. The mountain and trees are blocking the worst of it, but higher up its a very loud roar. Its not as bad as February but its not too far off it at times.

Stuck my head out for five minutes and there's almost more leave in the air than raindrops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Getting tasty here ( d17 ) now,some strong gusts coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

It seems to be calming down a little for me here in my little hollow (based on the very* scientific reading 'Roar down the chimney' scale) lol. The gusts are infrequent, however that could just mean the wind changed direction.

Hope ye all stay safe now tonight. Keep up the posts, it's great to get an idea what's happening out there in real time. Its going to be an interesting morning on the roads, that is for sure!

Night Night...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Lights flickering here

A tree taking out powerlines in Templeogue area probably.
    https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/index.html
    "1864 customers affected"

EDIT: another power outage for a couple of seconds just there, PC rebooted. Must be another tree down in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

suddenly gone all quiet here north side CORK city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Yes when winds swing round SSE or SE, winds will noticeably increase.
    Yes, you're right, good call, quite windy now and I noticed when I went outside a minute ago the clouds indicate that the wind is now from the SSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

northgirl wrote: »
    suddenly gone all quiet here north side CORK city

Yep the wind will drop off very quickly rather than gradually reducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Yep the wind will drop off very quickly rather than gradually reducing.

Yeah, went from howling outside about half an hour ago to nothing now, very quiet. East Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Rougies wrote: »

EDIT: another power outage for a couple of seconds just there, PC rebooted. Must be another tree down in the area.

Still have power here in Blackrock but getting very gusty again and lashing rain again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Rikand wrote: »
    In athlone and we're getting rammaged. So if by localised you mean local to everywhere except you.... then yes, very localized :)

went out the garden to check it out. got a mouthful of bamboo for my troubles. great craic out there so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Rougies wrote: »

Hopefully it doesnt make it up to Terrnure, it has gotten nasty here in the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Winds have really really calmed abruptly since veering here.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

So with all the knowledge on here and I ask a question for help ...
    And nothing ...
    Cheers ..

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

So with all the knowledge on here and I ask a question for help ...
    And nothing ...
    Cheers ..

Oh dear! No need to be rude. You might as well have asked "what time will it start and stop raining in my back garden"!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

A fairly windy evening here but nothing of note, I'd say maybe force 5 or 6 and only gusting to force 7 at most. With the winds from the south, the hill right beside me to my south is obviously giving me a LOT of shelter!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

Major powercut in Bray in the last hour. Lights were flickering here in north east Wicklow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Peeking here now with regular gusts near 80km/h. Wild night out there but feel when the rain passes winds will drop. Max gust 78km/h so far

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

A BBC Journalist is reporting lightning in Magilligan, Co. Derry but nothing showing on the detectors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

A bit wild now in Rathfarnham. The wind chimes have disappeared from the tree and the street light is swaying violently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

A gust of 53kts at Baldonnel now

EIME 060000Z 16038G53KT 9999 -RA FEW018 SCT036 BKN080 13/10 Q0992

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

The winds really started picking up here in D5, more constant instead of gusts. Also it's started raining heavier over the past 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

JrdanB wrote: »
    Major powercut in Bray in the last hour. Lights were flickering here in north east Wicklow.

Not a flicker down near the seafront.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Hope all the tree surgeons get a good nights sleep, busy day tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I'm in bray and power is out. 4 people in my bed now and this looks likely to increase to 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

foxy06 wrote: »
    I'm in bray and power is out. 4 people in my bed now and this looks likely to increase to 5.
    Beats me. Only 3 in mine
    Very windy outside in D7 and lots of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

foxy06 wrote: »

Will be over in a minute.

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

highest gust of this storm was 63knots down south in roches at 11pm on 5 oct

doubt it will be beat.

maybe a few mid 50s left

just a note my rain gauge now has 41mm on it for today. is that right?

its raining fairly heavy but was watching TV and thought all rain was down south.

I guess markree reading will tell me tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

My car was camouflaged with the amount of leaves pinned to it. In hindsight it might not been wise to park under a tree in this weather.

Got 3 hours sleep with the wind and rain pounding against my window. I had to resort to earplugs, they worked too well and didn't hear my alarm.

Advertisement