Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Diving"- an obvious solution.

• 04-10-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭

Why is so called "diving" or the engineering of free kicks and penalties through dishonest means not considered to be a straight red card offence ? It would seem to me to be a straightforward solution to the problem and a change to the rules which would actually make sense. Where FIFA are concerned , however, sense and reason seem to be regarded as strange bedfellows.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Its a yellow card offence as it is and doesn't always get implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

chicorytip wrote: »
    Why is so called "diving" or the engineering of free kicks and penalties through dishonest means not considered to be a straight red card offence ? It would seem to me to be a straightforward solution to the problem and a change to the rules which would actually make sense. Where FIFA are concerned , however, sense and reason seem to be regarded as strange bedfellows.

Perhaps because the vast majority of the football world doesn't really see it as such a massive problem as to merit straight redcards, and its not FIFAs job to pander to the whims of people on these two islands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It is very difficult to state with 100% certainty that a player dived. Did he slip, was he touched. Refs find it hard enough to give a yellow, they'll be even more reluctant to give a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

greendom wrote: »
    It is very difficult to state with 100% certainty that a player dived. Did he slip, was he touched. Refs find it hard enough to give a yellow, they'll be even more reluctant to give a red.

Then make them retrospective.
    A panel reviews a game, any dives (which they should be able to determine with replays etc) will be punished by a ban.

Without the use of technology it wouldn't work.

Imagine players being sent off when they have been fouled?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Red cards are over the top in most circumstances. I reckon it should reflect the the foul that would have been given, possibly with a yellow as a minimum. In a DOGSO situation it should be a straight red though, and I am all for retrospective implementation.

DOGSO.

Sounds interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It clearly is quite a major problem in game. Would having such a deterrent make potential offenders think twice whilst also improving the game as a spectacle ? It is usually blatantly obvious to most onlookers (not always match officials unfortunately) when a genuine foul has been commited as opposed to players simulating fouls or faking injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

rarnes1 wrote: »
    DOGSO.

Sounds interesting

Direct/obvious goal scoring opportunity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I blame the foreigners. No diving before the foreigners came in. And the Bears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Warnings on the big screens before each game that that all forms of cheating will not be tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Retrospective bannings and fines and result changes. Diving makes a mockery of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Direct/obvious goal scoring opportunity?

Yep yep. Deny an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Warnings on the big screens before each game that that all forms of cheating will not be tolerated.

The vast majority of grounds in Ireland and around senior grounds in Europe dont have big screens despite what you see on TV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It is usually blatantly obvious to most onlookers (not always match officials unfortunately) when a genuine foul has been commited as opposed to players simulating fouls or faking injury.

Blatantly obvious if you're watching it in slow-mo on your big screen at home. If you're actually at the stadium, as an official or a spectator, it's not nearly as clear. There's plenty of cases that TV replays prove inconclusive too.

I'm all for retrospective bans for perennial divers, but straight reds would be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Diving should be the same punishment for what the imagine foul was,

You're one on one with the keeper and you take a dive, red card. Dicking around in midfield and you pretend you got fouled, free kick the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

The vast majority of grounds in Ireland and around senior grounds in Europe dont have big screens despite what you see on TV.

Right so... but that would'nt stop them getting a massage across, hav'nt they still got advertising boards, led signage, there is well more other ways than tv to give out a message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If we are sending players off for diving, we need to send defenders off when they hold a player in the box at a corner or trip somebody to prevent a counter attack.

All of these things are deliberate gamesmanship to get an advantage, but for some reason, some people find diving more unpalatable.

Yellow in all of these situations is the actual correct answer and what we have in place right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Right so... but that would'nt stop them getting a massage across, hav'nt they still got advertising boards, led signage, there is well more other ways than tv to give out a message.
    If we are sending players off for diving, we need to send defenders off when they hold a player in the box at a corner or trip somebody to prevent a counter attack.

All of these things are deliberate gamesmanship to get an advantage, but for some reason, some people find diving more unpalatable.

Yellow in all of these situations is the actual correct answer and what we have in place right now.

I agree its easy for the ref to tell both teams before the game and announce it over the tannoy system before the game.

And defenders should be covered as well. It does all come down to gamesmanship. All it takes is a blitz of a few weeks I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

A panel reviews a game, any dives (which they should be able to determine with replays etc) will be punished by a ban.

The PFA would never allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A player being touched, or even fouled, does not absolve him from diving. The misguided notion that some fans have regarding this fact is one of the main obstacles to eradicating diving from the game. You see about a dozen dives per game where a player is fouled or has his shirt pulled and they just collapse dramatically to the ground. No, you are not "highlighting the foul to the ref". You are guilty of simulation.

If a player can stay on his feet, and chooses not to....he's diving. It really is that simple. And it is very easy to tell whether a player has dived or not. You use your eyes. We all know what a dive looks like. The problem becomes when you try to look for excuses for players because he plays for your favourite team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Diving should be the same punishment for what the imagine foul was,

You're one on one with the keeper and you take a dive, red card. Dicking around in midfield and you pretend you got fouled, free kick the other way.
    I actually think there is alot to be said for that idea, but at the same time I'm sure that after a good bit of thought, there are probably some pitfalls to the idea in instances where it just wouldn't work.

Fundamentally, I'm perplexed though that people view diving as such an utterly unacceptable form of cheating, but other forms of cheating get termed as professionalism, and that divers are viewed with more contempt than perpetrators of violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I agree its easy for the ref to tell both teams before the game and announce it over the tannoy system before the game.

Why would it need to be announced over the stadium's PA system? The people watching aren't the ones playing it

A million times yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Here's the solution. If a player hits the deck and rolls around crying out in apparent pain, whether a foul is given or not he should be taken off the field to be examined by the physio/medic, and only allowed back on by the referee if he is deemed to be able to carry on.
    Managers wouldn't be long telling the players to stop acting the eejit.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Here's the solution. If a player hits the deck and rolls around crying out in apparent pain, whether a foul is given or not he should be taken off the field to be examined by the physio/medic, and only allowed back on by the referee if he is deemed to be able to carry on.
    Have you considered a job with FIFA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

pablo128 wrote: »

I suggested this earlier for when people break up play by getting "Treatment" for non head "injuries" they have a mandatory wait on the sidelines. Something short. 2mins or so. But at least then faking injury proves disadvantageous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Personally I think one of the main problems at the moment lies with people perceived notions of what a foul is. I often hear that "it wasn't a dive, there was contact". Football is a contact sport, just because there is a slight bit of contact doesn't make it a foul. Even if someone brushes off you, if you throw yourself to the ground it's a dive.

There needs too be a mentality change as to what a dive is first before the problem can be sorted. "Contact" does not always equal a foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Personally I think one of the main problems at the moment lies with people perceived notions of what a foul is. I often hear that "it wasn't a dive, there was contact". Football is a contact sport, just because there is a slight bit of contact doesn't make it a foul. Even if someone brushes off you, if you throw yourself to the ground it's a dive.

There needs too be a mentality change as to what a dive is first before the problem can be sorted. "Contact" does not always equal a foul.

Thats a huge bugbear for me. Player gets brushed on the shoulder or someone tackles someone else and gets the ball but also taps someone on the shin so they're entitled to swan dive. Sad thing is its not easily solveable in one step. Retro action could stop it after the fact. There needs to be better refereeing when it comes to stopping play for an injury.

I genuinely feel if a team puts the ball out of play for one of their "Injured" players. He then immediately gets up, doesn't need treatment and runs on, the other team should play away with the ball. Nothing annoys me more than players staying down to break up play and end up giving the opposition posession back 60 yards further back than they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kirby wrote: »
    A player being touched, or even fouled, does not absolve him from diving. The misguided notion that some fans have regarding this fact is one of the main obstacles to eradicating diving from the game. You see about a dozen dives per game where a player is fouled or has his shirt pulled and they just collapse dramatically to the ground. No, you are not "highlighting the foul to the ref". You are guilty of simulation.

If a player can stay on his feet, and chooses not to....he's diving. It really is that simple. And it is very easy to tell whether a player has dived or not. You use your eyes. We all know what a dive looks like. The problem becomes when you try to look for excuses for players because he plays for your favourite team.

I agee 100% but once there is contact, I think it becomes very difficult to punish a player for diving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Kirby wrote: »

Players throw themselves to the floor because they know that refs won't give the foul otherwise. If they don't do so then the defender gets away with cheating.

Diving should be tackled retrospectively, absolutely. But a player should be able to force a referee's hand when he knows that he has been fouled and wants the punishment that that foul should lead to to be dished out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

There were a number of occasions in the Chelsea/Arsenal game where Chelsea committed fouls (clear in replays) and no free was given by the referee and an Arsenal player was left on the ground. Should an Arsenal player have been sent off on each occasion?

What is the difference between diving and exaggeration of contact? Take for example, Wilshere kicked on the ankle in the penalty box against Spurs? He didn't go down looking for a penalty and none was given. If he had gone down would the referee have made the correct decision and given a penalty?? Certainly, there are certain other players who would have gone down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If they slip then they shouldn't take a free/penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yes, introduce the citing rule like in rugby. If a player dives, handles the ball intentionally, commits a bad foul/elbow/headbutt etc that the ref missed/ignored, the other team can cite him for the offense the next day after the game. a review body reviews the following day (or twice a week) and applies a ban if in agreement. That should ensure the offending player can be suspended quickly after an offense.

Advertisement