Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 920 touch screen issue, what do?

• 04-10-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello, lads,

I have been using this phone for almost a year and a half, but now it got wrecked for no reason. Anyway, I desperately need a new phone or to repair mine ol' lumia. To do so, I have to spend €120. Otherwise, I can buy a new phone or sign up for a bill pay at Vodafone. The thing is that a similar new phone would cost me €300-450 and the sign up would make me pay (on the long run) €480.

If I choose to fix it, I will pay €120 for a second handed almost a year and a half usage phone, which could wreck itself again after sometime. If the answer is to buy a new one (this includes bill pay) I would spend four times that...

Anyway, I have seen the 1520 and it looks fantastic (I have big hands), but I am afraid that a new '1530' might come up on the next few months (as we already have a 930). It is a tough decision, I really love Nokia and I don't wanna go back to crappy android (I also have an iPad for apps).

What do you guys think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What exactly is the screen issue?

It is covered with a 24 month warranty, but personal damage isn't covered obviously.

If you do repair it, what plan will you be on, going for? If you get a case to prevent further damage a repair might be the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 macade

Davy wrote: »
    What exactly is the screen issue?

It is covered with a 24 month warranty, but personal damage isn't covered obviously.

If you do repair it, what plan will you be on, going for? If you get a case to prevent further damage a repair might be the better option.

I bought it on another continent. I don't think I can claim warranty (and I really think it lasted a year only) from here... It is not personal damage, if you look up on Lumia 920 Touch Screen issues, you will see a lot of people with this same problem. Apparently it has to do with Wi-Fi or something, I don't know. I have been through the end and back again of the internet and haven't found any home solution, I have to get it fixed and it costs 120 euros. The thing is that the whole touch screen is gone and only replacing it will take it back to normal.

I already have a case. It was not falling damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

macade wrote: »
    Hello, lads,

I have been using this phone for almost a year and a half, but now it got wrecked for no reason. Anyway, I desperately need a new phone or to repair mine ol' lumia. To do so, I have to spend €120. Otherwise, I can buy a new phone or sign up for a bill pay at Vodafone. The thing is that a similar new phone would cost me €300-450 and the sign up would make me pay (on the long run) €480.

If I choose to fix it, I will pay €120 for a second handed almost a year and a half usage phone, which could wreck itself again after sometime. If the answer is to buy a new one (this includes bill pay) I would spend four times that...

Anyway, I have seen the 1520 and it looks fantastic (I have big hands), but I am afraid that a new '1530' might come up on the next few months (as we already have a 930). It is a tough decision, I really love Nokia and I don't wanna go back to crappy android (I also have an iPad for apps).

What do you guys think?

There will be no 1530 this year at least,(doubt there will be a 1520 successor) there will be no more devices until next year at least.Flagship anyway.Best thing to do is try get a 2nd hand 920 cheap and if you can yourself change the screen,its tricky work mind you.
    Other than that if you are happy with the 920 you can pick up new/refurbs cheap enough..

If you can get it fixed under warranty good,what exactly is the issue with screen?

The screen is fine, even the side buttons. But the screen won't recognise my touch. It turns out in pointless attempts to do something but the touch is completely off.

I am thinking about buying a new phone. But I am not sure if brand new (with warranties and everything) or 2nd hand, tho.

Have you tried the nokia software recovery tool ? Been honest i would look for a newer model,Lumias second hand or even new can be bought cheap now for older models.

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Have you tried the nokia software recovery tool ? Been honest i would look for a newer model,Lumias second hand or even new can be bought cheap now for older models.

Yeah, I did. It only erased my data. The touch issue remains. I am not sure if I can give my old phone and some cash for a new one. At least at Vodafone they don't take wrecked phones.

macade wrote: »
    Yeah, I did. It only erased my data. The touch issue remains. I am not sure if I can give my old phone and some cash for a new one. At least at Vodafone they don't take wrecked phones.

Try CPW ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Its worth a go contacting Nokia, explaining the issue, and seeing if a free repair is possible. I've been surprised in the past by various companies doing such things as gestures (Sony especially). Won't know for sure till you try!

Beyond that, you will pick up a 925 second hand or even new for very little. Its an excellent light-and-thin version of the 920, its only missing wireless charging (although a snap-on wireless charging cover is available). Will definitely keep you going another 12 - 18 months until a strong upgrade (lumia 935?) is available.

Pixmania have the 925 for 249,despite the numerous threads here ive bought from em several times and never had issues,or always try boards,the 925 is a nice solid device.

Its worth a go contacting Nokia, explaining the issue, and seeing if a free repair is possible. I've been surprised in the past by various companies doing such things as gestures (Sony especially). Won't know for sure till you try!

Beyond that, you will pick up a 925 second hand or even new for very little. Its an excellent light-and-thin version of the 920, its only missing wireless charging (although a snap-on wireless charging cover is available). Will definitely keep you going another 12 - 18 months until a strong upgrade (lumia 935?) is available.

Yes, a 925 would be great but I don't wanna spend too much money right now. I have seen the 635, is it a good option?
    Try CPW ?
    Pixmania have the 925 for 249,despite the numerous threads here ive bought from em several times and never had issues,or always try boards,the 925 is a nice solid device.

IDK, I am finding theses prices too expensive. There are some good ads on adverts, tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Put in your details and arrange for it to be collected by UPS for repair under warranty.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/mobile/support/warranty-checkers/

Advertisement