Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need some wise advice. Got a boat. Where to put it in the water and how.

• 04-10-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Ive come into possession of a Mariner 16 boat.
    Needs a little work which im sure ill have fun figuring out how to do over the winter.

I have to buy life jackets, fire extinguisher, fix the seats, maybe paint it and even figure out how to start the engine. Im that clueless.

Currently its in the garden and im based in North Dublin.
    I would prefer to take it on the canals or rivers instead of the sea.

So im wondering, when it comes to putting it in the water - around April next - where should I put it.

I want to just launch it once and then leave it there for the season, just going down to it on nice weekends.

Im looking for a nice short drive from Dublin too, but in the countryside. And id like to be able to park the car for the weekends for free, near where the boat is moored, while i go exploring with the boat. Then come back and jump into the car and drive home.

I was thinking about the Royal Canal maybe around Maynooth or thereabouts. ANy suggestions of somewhere that would fit the bill?

Do I need a licence, permit or insurance of some sort to be able to leave it on the canal and only use it at weekends? Or are you even allowed to do that. And what about mooring when you are travelling along the canal. Do you just pick a spot for the night and tie up?

Has anyone got any advice for a beginner like myself? And i do mean a beginner. Im green.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi and welcome to the world of boating :) The Royal canal like most others has a 5 day rule that states that a boat must not be left in the same place for more than 5 days so just leaving it tied to the bank is out unless you can find a private mooring, have a look through here lots of tips and advice http://www.iwai.ie/nav/royalcanal.html

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ffactj

fergal.b wrote: »
    Hi and welcome to the world of boating :) The Royal canal like most others has a 5 day rule that states that a boat must not be left in the same place for more than 5 days so just leaving it tied to the bank is out unless you can find a private mooring, have a look through here lots of tips and advice .iwai.ie/nav/royalcanal.html

Thats a great link. Thanks.

I thought you could pay another fee for an extended mooring so that you could use a mooring for over 5 days?

Worst case I suppose i could move it every 5 days if it was not too far a drive.

But the big question for me is where to go that would fit my criteria.

I wonder would somewhere like Maynooth or Kilcock fit the bill.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is a mooring fee of around €130 per year and then you pay for the locks and facilities you could look at Hazelhatch,Stallins or Lowtown for a mooring or how about just launching at a slipway each time you want to go for a spin there is a nice one in Enfield.

20120907_130415.jpg

I was thinking of launching at a slip but the whole trailer thing is a logistical nightmare for me.
    Plus, its one thing having a boat in the garden during the winter months, but during the spring and summer months i would never be allowed to do that :)

Looks like a nice place in your photo. Is that Enfield?

And where do you keep the car and trailer when you are out for the day after launching the boat.

• Advertisement

Yep thats Enfield it's a nice run up to Thomastown from it, there is parking near the slip there is also another slip at Nanny Quinns pub in Kinnegad maybe you could find someone nearby that could store the boat for you.
    It's sad to say but unless you are living on the boat there is a good chance someone might nick your outboard if it's left unattended for a few days on the canal so your safest option would be to trailer it.

I'm also in North Dublin and do a lot of my boating on Lough Ree it's just over an hour drive and has lots of marinas if you wanted a berth or use the slipway at Huston Bay Hotel also lots of good pubs and restaurants around the place, worth thinking about as you will have the whole waterways open to you.

Yep thats Enfield it's a nice run up to Thomastown from it, there is parking near the slip there is also another slip at Nanny Quinns pub in Kinnegad maybe you could find someone nearby that could store the boat for you.
    It's sad to say but unless you are living on the boat there is a good chance someone might nick your outboard if it's left unattended for a few days on the canal so your safest option would be to trailer it.

I never even thought of that to be honest.
    I thought this whole thing was going to be simple.
    Would it be busy at those slips?

I might just end up in a marina in the Shannon or on the Barrow.
    Any nice cheap marinas around for a 16ft boat.

I'm also in North Dublin and do a lot of my boating on Lough Ree it's just over an hour drive and has lots of marinas if you wanted a berth or use the slipway at Huston Bay Hotel also lots of good pubs and restaurants around the place, worth thinking about as you will have the whole waterways open to you.

That sounds like a great idea.
    Is there a list of Marinas and prices that i could look up for it.

Ive been in the Hodson bay hotel. Its lovely there.
    The thing that scares me though is that ive seen boats 3 deep moored beside each other on the harbour wall. People get out and climb over each other.

What happens if the one on the inside wants to leave before all of the other ones, when the owners are away.

And my boat is too small for people moored on the outside of it to climb over. Id be afraid i would be blocking them.

I have a lot to learn.

ffactj wrote: »
    I never even thought of that to be honest.
    I thought this whole thing was going to be simple.
    Would it be busy at those slips?

I might just end up in a marina in the Shannon or on the Barrow.
    Any nice cheap marinas around for a 16ft boat.

The slips aren't that busy compared to the ones on the coast as they as they are not tidal so you can launch anytime.
    A 16ft boat wont be that much as they charge by the foot but they might insists that you have insurance. Give some of them a call and see what they say.

http://lakesidemarina.ie/

http://quigleysmarina.com/

http://www.portaneenamarina.ie/

• Advertisement

You should have no problem with a 16ft boat you can go into shallower water and fit in tighter spots :) there is lots to learn but you pick most of it up over the years as you are new to boats the best thing to do is a powerboat course http://www.powerboatschool.ie/ this will teach you all the basics and can get you cheeper insurance when your done. :)

ffactj wrote: »
    That sounds like a great idea.
    Is there a list of Marinas and prices that i could look up for it.

Ive been in the Hodson bay hotel. Its lovely there.
    The thing that scares me though is that ive seen boats 3 deep moored beside each other on the harbour wall. People get out and climb over each other.

What happens if the one on the inside wants to leave before all of the other ones, when the owners are away.

And my boat is too small for people moored on the outside of it to climb over. Id be afraid i would be blocking them.

I have a lot to learn.

Advertisement