Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cleaning your chain?

• 04-10-2014 5:46pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mine is a bit manky. Lazst time I tried this new chin lube, kind of waxy - seems now to be full of gunk. Wend and bought new chain lube - and chain cleaner. Is this stuff any use? Going to try to give it a proper clean now, any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I use kersene to clean mine. I use a tooth brush to put it on the chain and give it a bit of a scrub and the dirt comes right off. Give it a wipe of a cloth allow it to dry then put the lube after.

sorry meant to say it depends on the cleaner. Ive used an Aldi one before it was ok .. did the job. So id give it a good shake, not sure the one you got needs time to settle before wiping it off? Id make sure the chain is dry after before putting lube back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yeah i also use kerosene and i use a chain brush. It takes all the crap off.
    Although kerosene is a bastard to wash off as its not water soluble so i use some Kerosene based cleaner if my local place has some in stock. It rinses away no hassle.

I then give it a blast of muc off chain cleaner as it gets the last few bits of crap out and then evaporates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I use the muc off chain cleaner, a chain cleaning brush and a cloth/ rag. The wurth chain wax is pretty good and seems to work well, I haven't had to adjust my chain in months, but if you leave it too long between cleans it gets gunky alright. At least with wax your whole bike isn't covered in fling.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have the muc off shin cleaner, do I just spray it on and scrub it with a toothbrush? Won't I just be pushing the crap around? Will I give it a rinse with water - and then spray on the chain lube? Or will I take it for a spin so it will fling it off - then clean the chain after..

I didn't find the muc off cleaner any good on its own.
    Kerosene + chain brush. Scrub that and rinse by spinning the wheel and spraying the garden hose at the chain

Repeat this is needed and every bit of crap will be gone. The chain will look new.
    Then the muc off cleaner as it will push all water our of the links and then it evaporates and you can lube the chain. I use Rokoil chain lube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If it's really manky you'll need plenty of elbow grease and might need 2 or 3 sprays, brushes and wipes with a rag. I find spraying it and leaving it to soak for a few minutes helps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ok thanks, will give this a go. Stupid question but where do I get Kerosene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

Zascar wrote: »

Some of the older garages have a pump for people to get barrels for the home heating. I know my local one does. Not sure where you'd get it up around you. Maybe somewhere around Blackrock. The little place up near kilternan beside the ski slope might have it also.

Yeah its dirt cheap from a garage pump.
    Other than that you will get it in woodies or b&w no hassle. Its just more expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Also knows as paraffin. Woodies have it
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/de-vielle-4lt-premium-grade-paraffin-oil/17433/3.5.16#.VDBo8PldX50
    Probably cheaper in other places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Cienciano wrote: »
    Also knows as paraffin. Woodies have it
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/de-vielle-4lt-premium-grade-paraffin-oil/17433/3.5.16#.VDBo8PldX50
    Probably cheaper in other places.

4 liters would last at least 2 years, possibly more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Zascar I have a 5ltr drum of it here, next time we out for a blast I fill a 7up bottle for you. That would last you months......but yeah stay away from the big garages and you will get it no probs.

Nothing can touch it for cleaning chains and sprockets.

Wax IMHO is the worst thing you can stick on a chain in relation to cleaning it back off, the amount of work involved. Most people just keep adding new wax without taking off the old gunky one 1st!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Get it from your home heating oil tank.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I have a BMW ~ just thought I'd mention it :P

I do miss the old shaft drive :(

Ok thanks, deffo dont want 5 litres of it. Might I get a litre or less anywhere?
    Wonda I'll take you up on that, thanks. I might just give the chain a basic clean and do a full proper job next time with the parafin

Wonda I'll take you up on that, thanks. I might just give the chain a basic clean and do a full proper job next time with the parafin

No probs, pm me the next time you going for a blast and I bring it with me. Tis the season to be jolly with CHRISTMAS just around the corner

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ok thanks, deffo dont want 5 litres of it. Might I get a litre or less anywhere?

You'll be able to pick up a bottle of it in any hardware store and often I thought even in the BBQ section of the likes of Tesco etc.

I just use a paintbrush to paint it on, scrub the chain with a dishwashing brush, rinse, wipe, quick spin a couple of times around the block. Lube, done.

goodlad wrote: »
    Yeah i also use kerosene and i use a chain brush. It takes all the crap off.
    Although kerosene is a bastard to wash off as its not water soluble so i use some Kerosene based cleaner if my local place has some in stock. It rinses away no hassle.

I then give it a blast of muc off chain cleaner as it gets the last few bits of crap out and then evaporates
    Is that chain brush one of the sort of U shaped brush? So gimmick or worth getting?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Is that chain brush one of the sort of U shaped brush? So gimmick or worth getting?

Yup that's the one. Deffo worth getting.
    I have an Oxford one and has good strong bristles on it. Cleans both sides of the chain and links really easy.

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    Yup that's the one. Deffo worth getting.
    I have an Oxford one and has good strong bristles on it. Cleans both sides of the chain and links really easy.
    Cool, i'll keep an eye out for one in cotters or bikeworld for one.

Hard tooth brush does it for me TBH.

I cleaned my chain last night and I just used an old rag. I sprayed loads of the chain cleaner on, let it sit for a while and spun the wheel a bit, then put the rag in my hand and ran the chain threw it a few rotations. Seemed to take off loads of gunk and grime. I then gave it a good coating of normal chain lube.

Not sure if I totally overdid it, but I used about half a can of that chain cleaner. Not a chap process with the cost of those bottles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Not sure if I totally overdid it, but I used about half a can of that chain cleaner. Not a chap process with the cost of those bottles!

Yeah...I think you might have over done it a little :pac:

I bought a can of muc off chain cleaner about 8 months ago and around a quarter of it is left.

I'll know next time to use kerosene first and finish it off with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I'll know next time to use kerosene first and finish it off with that :)

I just use the muc off, no kerosen, as long as you follow the instructions it does a good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I cleaned my chain last night and I just used an old rag. I sprayed loads of the chain cleaner on, let it sit for a while and spun the wheel a bit, then put the rag in my hand and ran the chain threw it a few rotations. Seemed to take off loads of gunk and grime. I then gave it a good coating of normal chain lube.

Z, thats the best way of doing it, but spray the cleaner into the rag first and then wipe clean, running the rag over the chain lets you feel for any problematic areas, tight spots etc then its just a matter of applying whatever lube you want. Old engine oil is fine, you don't need fancy expensive lubes.(not for the chain anyway :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have a BMW ~ just thought I'd mention it :P

I have a belt drive :)

Convenience of a shaft, but the price of a chain. And light too. :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

WD 40.

Advertisement