Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city on New Year's Eve

Options
  • 04-10-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I know it's early but is Dublin really as bad as I've heard for New Year's Eve celebrations? I've never actually been out that night in the city but this year a group of foreign friends want to visit for a few days during that time. I have no idea what could be happening, whether to tell them to visit Galway instead, etc. They're a mixed group between wanting to see cultural/ historical sights but have plenty of drinks on the night itself.

What are people's thoughts here? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id imagine it will be mental. Along with Paddy's day its probably one of the biggest nights of the year for drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

I think Paddy's Day for most tourists is overwhelming and usually a negative experience. That's what I'm worried about, if it's another day for younger people, teens, etc, to get pissed and pick fights!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Packed pubs. Pissed people. There are always crowds up at Christchurch for the bell ringing at midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think Paddy's Day for most tourists is overwhelming and usually a negative experience. That's what I'm worried about, if it's another day for younger people, teens, etc, to get pissed and pick fights!

Going into town for New Years is not really popular with young people. Most college students have gone home to the country for new years( where as they tend to stay in Dublin for St. Patricks Day). Any young people that are left in Dublin, probably will just go to house party, where they can stay all night and stay there. Rather than deal with the usual 3am rush for Taxis, as everywhere is closed at 3 am

Town could be good, as there is the bells at Christchurch at 12, which are supposed to be good(never went). I would take the buzz and fun of Dublin, over Galway.

BTW Im a "young person" and going out in Dublin for years. I have never had a bad experience for someone trying to "pick fights". Anytime I have seen a fight in Dublin, both parties have been far from innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

hfallada wrote: »
    Going into town for New Years is not really popular with young people. Most college students have gone home to the country for new years( where as they tend to stay in Dublin for St. Patricks Day). Any young people that are left in Dublin, probably will just go to house party, where they can stay all night and stay there. Rather than deal with the usual 3am rush for Taxis, as everywhere is closed at 3 am

Town could be good, as there is the bells at Christchurch at 12, which are supposed to be good(never went). I would take the buzz and fun of Dublin, over Galway.

BTW Im a "young person" and going out in Dublin for years. I have never had a bad experience for someone trying to "pick fights". Anytime I have seen a fight in Dublin, both parties have been far from innocent

The second part is good to hear! I've never had any trouble in Dublin either but I have avoided the city on PAddys Night and New Years. I'll check up the bell ringing and I'll see what else is on.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Over the past few years dublin has copped onto how bad New Years is and now has an open air music concert on college green with fireworks and countdown etc at 00:00. Madness played last year and the Craic was brilliant. No need for alcohol, no fights, just everyone having a good time. Will definitely be going this year if it's on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

NYE a party will be on again in College Green.

Advertisement