Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city marathon injury

Options
  • 04-10-2014 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Advice needed pls... ok brief history ... been running a while now on .. off.. 10ks 5ks
    Anyway signed up for dcmarathon end of this month. Training was going well... was running half marathons comfortable then decides2 to jump to 32k run . Finished it 2hr47min but injured my ankle in process. Anyway that was month ago . Went out again last week hurt it again on 7k run . Went physio he said ankle will be ok for dcm.. question is am I mad to even think of running it ill ave no training for best part of months.
    Ive good engine on me and I really want to run as its my 1st marathon...
    Thans for reading .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Personally I wouldn't do it under those conditions..why do you really want to run this race so badly? If you haven't run a marathon yet why all of a sudden have you fixed on this one? Would you not recover, train and do one properly next spring?

Whats you r half time like?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you do it youll get around. However you may end up unhappy with your time and aggravate your injury.

If you are determined to do it anyway, just be cautious and pace it carefully. Do it to enjoy the atmosphere and experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ddoylers

Half marathon times around 1hr46
    20mile time 2hr 47
    im just a stubborn fcuker.. i set myself 3 goals this yr.
    1 pb in 10k 41.15.mins
    2 Complete the ring of kerry
    3 sub 4hr dublin city marathon
    ive 2 completed and dcm is all thats left. I dont plan on running any more marathons if I finish this one sub 4hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

ddoylers wrote: »
    Half marathon times around 1hr46
    20mile time 2hr 47
    im just a stubborn fcuker.. i set myself 3 goals this yr.
    1 pb in 10k 41.15.mins
    2 Complete the ring of kerry
    3 sub 4hr dublin city marathon
    ive 2 completed and dcm is all thats left. I dont plan on running any more marathons if I finish this one sub 4hrs.

Lol

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Lol
    hope to prove you wrong buddy...

• Advertisement

Great! Best of luck in your pursuit of painful mediocrity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

A person that can do 41:15 for 10K should be running DCM in at least sub 3:30 with a proper committed training, not limping home in 4 hours.

ger664 wrote: »
    A person that can do 41:15 for 10K should be running DCM in at least sub 3:30 with a proper committed training, not limping home in 4 hours.

Exactly.. proper training...
    Its my first run over this distance aswell.
    If I was still training id be hoping for 3hr45min.

Exactly.. proper training...
    Its my first run over this distance aswell.
    If I was still training id be hoping for 3hr45min.

Then why are you running it with no training?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Its going to be you only run over the distance. So why not do it justice. Dont do DCM is my advice

Clearly you are not properly prepared for it, and will most likely suffer on the day but are quite happy to put in a sub standard painful run for what ?

I would expect most first time runners who commit to and complete 18-24 weeks training to at least get 5 times their 10K time. Thats 3:30 for you.

• Advertisement

ger664 wrote: »
    Its going to be you only run over the distance. So why not do it justice. Dont do DCM is my advice

Clearly you are not properly prepared for it, and will most likely suffer on the day but are quite happy to put in a sub standard painful run for what ?

I would expect most first time runners who commit to and complete 18-24 weeks training to at least get 5 times their 10K time. Thats 3:30 for you.

I was on track till this injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

actually, you were making the classic mistake of running at the same pace all the time

Its a simple choice
    If you just want to complete the marathon so you can say you did it - you might as well run. Maybe you'll get under 4 hours, maybe you won't. Either way you can cross it off your list and congratulate yourself on your stubbornness.
    If you want to run the in a decent time, skip this year and train properly for the next one. Given this is a running forum, it is populated by people who want to do things 'properly' rather than just tick a box, which is why we are all rolling our eyes at the thought of doing anything else

RayCun wrote: »
    actually, you were making the classic mistake of running at the same pace all the time

Its a simple choice
    If you just want to complete the marathon so you can say you did it - you might as well run. Maybe you'll get under 4 hours, maybe you won't. Either way you can cross it off your list and congratulate yourself on your stubbornness.
    If you want to run the in a decent time, skip this year and train properly for the next one. Given this is a running forum, it is populated by people who want to do things 'properly' rather than just tick a box, which is why we are all rolling our eyes at the thought of doing anything else

Your right buddy but Im gona give it a go. To finish will be an achievement in itself.
    I'll be doing some light training the week of the marathon just to see how my ankle is..
    if its fine im gona run it. I'll post my time and yous can all roll your eyes to heaven. Ha ha

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bet if you do it you go again next year for a better time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Your right buddy but Im gona give it a go. To finish will be an achievement in itself.
    I'll be doing some light training the week of the marathon just to see how my ankle is..
    if its fine im gona run it. I'll post my time and yous can all roll your eyes to heaven. Ha ha

I was actually in a similar position last year. Sprained my ankle about 6 weeks before DCM. I was so disappointed, thought I wouldn't run the marathon etc etc. Kept up training on the exercise bike until I could run, did my ankle exercises etc etc, got back on two feet in time to run it. I'm not sure if I'm happy I did or not ... I probably would have been really disappointed if I had had to cancel, but in the end I was really disappointed in my performance on the day. My ankle was fine by marathon day, but I think the missed training had affected my endurance, and also I was worried about my ankle and it was on my mind and I think it interfered with my focus and my enjoyment of the day.

really sorry you got injured. It's so disappointing. If you REALLY believe you'll feel just finishing is an achievement, then do it, you'll get around fine, but if you are hoping at the back of your mind to run a good time / your goal time, then I'd say wait and do it when you're fitter.

It's completely up to you - you know your own ambitions / expectations. I was pretty down for awhile after the marathon. I just felt I'd done really badly in something really big and public. On the other hand, my friend's brother got injured before his first marathon and was in a similar situation. He ran his too, just got around in a slower time than he would have been aiming for, and was delighted with it and loved the whole day. So each to their own! Good luck!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I was actually in a similar position last year. Sprained my ankle about 6 weeks before DCM. I was so disappointed, thought I wouldn't run the marathon etc etc. Kept up training on the exercise bike until I could run, did my ankle exercises etc etc, got back on two feet in time to run it. I'm not sure if I'm happy I did or not ... I probably would have been really disappointed if I had had to cancel, but in the end I was really disappointed in my performance on the day. My ankle was fine by marathon day, but I think the missed training had affected my endurance, and also I was worried about my ankle and it was on my mind and I think it interfered with my focus and my enjoyment of the day.

really sorry you got injured. It's so disappointing. If you REALLY believe you'll feel just finishing is an achievement, then do it, you'll get around fine, but if you are hoping at the back of your mind to run a good time / your goal time, then I'd say wait and do it when you're fitter.

It's completely up to you - you know your own ambitions / expectations. I was pretty down for awhile after the marathon. I just felt I'd done really badly in something really big and public. On the other hand, my friend's brother got injured before his first marathon and was in a similar situation. He ran his too, just got around in a slower time than he would have been aiming for, and was delighted with it and loved the whole day. So each to their own! Good luck!

exactly wat I needed to hear..
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Advice needed pls... ok brief history ... been running a while now on .. off.. 10ks 5ks
    Anyway signed up for dcmarathon end of this month. Training was going well... was running half marathons comfortable then decides2 to jump to 32k run . Finished it 2hr47min but injured my ankle in process. Anyway that was month ago . Went out again last week hurt it again on 7k run . Went physio he said ankle will be ok for dcm.. question is am I mad to even think of running it ill ave no training for best part of months.
    Ive good engine on me and I really want to run as its my 1st marathon...
    Thans for reading .

Running this marathon would be foolish. You are not prepared and having not run in months you won't even be fit.
    Take the lesson that you should not jump straight from Half Marathons to 32k runs and follow a proper, progressive training programme next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Not sure why you started this thread as you seem to have your mind made up already. You have chosen to ignore all of the posters giving you good advice and gone with the poster who told you what you wanted to hear... Good luck with the injuries......

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Hi

I undersatand your situation, i was in a similar situation a month ago with a planter facisitis problem, i am still aiming for Dublin but will be aiming for a different time.
    If your running is ok over the next week or two and you do it , you should be fine, if you run it and it acts up, sure stop and right it off to experience, i agree with points above, given your 10k time, you would be a sub 3:30 man if you had right training and no injury, similar to myself, long runs need to be slow compared to your normal pace, thats a mistake i made a few years back,

however if your ackle is not recovered and you struggle with 7k, a marathon is less likely..at this stage rest is probably the best option, your not really going to gain any fitness over the next couple of weeks, and you may benefit from the rest.
    good luck with what you do and i am not rolling my eyes in the sky, if a runner claims never to have being injured while running a big race, they are fibbing, it can be hard to give up and wait for another year

amcgee wrote: »
    Hi

I undersatand your situation, i was in a similar situation a month ago with a planter facisitis problem, i am still aiming for Dublin but will be aiming for a different time.
    If your running is ok over the next week or two and you do it , you should be fine, if you run it and it acts up, sure stop and right it off to experience, i agree with points above, given your 10k time, you would be a sub 3:30 man if you had right training and no injury, similar to myself, long runs need to be slow compared to your normal pace, thats a mistake i made a few years back,

however if your ackle is not recovered and you struggle with 7k, a marathon is less likely..at this stage rest is probably the best option, your not really going to gain any fitness over the next couple of weeks, and you may benefit from the rest.
    good luck with what you do and i am not rolling my eyes in the sky, if a runner claims never to have being injured while running a big race, they are fibbing, it can be hard to give up and wait for another year

I suppose one of the main points from "objectors" would be that he doesn't need to wait a year...there are loads of other marathon he could do..it would only mean waiting a couple of months and getting in some proper training, theres even clonakilty in December, he could get in 6 - 8 weeks of training for that,, finish the race and still have his box ticked before the end of the year? Why does it have to be Dublin 2014? ....after all if its only a box ticking exercise what difference does it make which race it is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

EC1000 wrote: »
    Not sure why you started this thread as you seem to have your mind made up already. You have chosen to ignore all of the posters giving you good advice and gone with the poster who told you what you wanted to hear... Good luck with the injuries......

I didn't mean to tell him what he wanted to hear! I was saying that last year after my sprained ankle I had a bad marathon that affected my confidence and my training for a good while after, and to bear that in mind.

I think IF the OP really just wants to jog around, go for it, but aiming for a time / aiming to run as well as he hoped before the injury will just result in disappointment.

Rantan wrote: »
    I suppose one of the main points from "objectors" would be that he doesn't need to wait a year...there are loads of other marathon he could do..it would only mean waiting a couple of months and getting in some proper training, theres even clonakilty in December, he could get in 6 - 8 weeks of training for that,, finish the race and still have his box ticked before the end of the year? Why does it have to be Dublin 2014? ....after all if its only a box ticking exercise what difference does it make which race it is?

fair enough if a person just wants to run any marathon and tick it, their is a lot of other marathons, i missed out on Dublin last year and did Limerick instead, but Dublin is the national marathon, for a lot of people (me included) it is the main target. , you wont get the same support or excitment in clon, however if your running in agony and struggling badly, i suppose , the last thing you will want to hear from the supporters"Come on your nearly their!!!

its a hard call for anyone to make, but if the physio says your ok to run, and you feel ok to run.. then run! maybe with caustion of course

Rantan wrote: »

fair enough if a person just wants to run any marathon and tick it, their is a lot of other marathons, i missed out on Dublin last year and did Limerick instead, but Dublin is the national marathon, for a lot of people (me included) it is the main target. , you wont get the same support or excitment in clon, however if your running in agony and struggling badly, i suppose , the last thing you will want to hear from the supporters"Come on your nearly their!!!

its a hard call for anyone to make, but if the physio says your ok to run, and you feel ok to run.. then run! maybe with caution of course

amcgee wrote: »

its a hard call for anyone to make, but if the physio says your ok to run, and you feel ok to run.. then run! maybe with caution of course

the OP has insinuated - maybe I'm not accurate - but it sounds like it from his earlier post - that he has a list of "things to do this year" and DCM is one of them - absolutely his call - however he did come on here looking for advice.

Ok had almost 6 weeks rest. Ran 5k this evening ankle felt ok. Ran at 5.17 pace per kilometre. Just feels so good to get out again. Roll on Monday lets be having ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ok had almost 6 weeks rest. Roll on Monday lets be having ya.

Train wreck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Lads don't feel the troll, this is the guy who opened a thread 3 weeks ago on the fitness forum asking for advice on which steroids to take to 'bulk up'

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92522542

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

menoscemo wrote: »
    Lads don't feel the troll, this is the guy who opened a thread 3 weeks ago on the fitness forum asking for advice on which steroids to take to 'bulk up'

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92522542

I think he needs a good dose of SNIP from the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

<mod>Looks like trolling, alright.
    I'm closing this thread</mod>

Update: It's not trolling, apparently, and I'm re-opening the thread. But keep it civil, everyone.

• Advertisement

Going for a 10k trail run in the morning. Gona get up at 6Am ave the breaky watch a bit of telly. Head out at 9.10am. Seehow the belly feels.

Advertisement