Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pest analysis

Options
  • 04-10-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

hey boardsies,
    I have a project due in 2 weeks on a metal drum company in relation to a PESTEL ANALYSIS AND THE FIVE FORCES.Nothing really great online so could someone suggest some examples that are specific to a metal drum company that would help me in this.
    I would be very grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Hi...have you covered mindmaps? Its a very helpful way to reason through situations and context.
    PEST and 5 Forces are areas that are long due updates. Todays business environments are increasingly dynamic and need systems of analysis that fit. Richard D'Aveni's work on hyper competitive markets takes a moving view of strategic management and gets you thinking. Other academics in the field include Columbia's Rita Gunther McGrath and UCLA's Richard Rumelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Voltex wrote: »
    Hi...have you covered mindmaps? Its a very helpful way to reason through situations and context.
    PEST and 5 Forces are areas that are long due updates. Todays business environments are increasingly dynamic and need systems of analysis that fit. Richard D'Aveni's work on hyper competitive markets takes a moving view of strategic management and gets you thinking. Other academics in the field include Columbia's Rita Gunther McGrath and UCLA's Richard Rumelt.

Great suggestion... :rolleyes:

"Dear lecturer,

I know you're planning to grade me for an assignment which required me to discuss a PESTEL analysis and porters 5 forces, but they're outdated according to a guy I met on the Internet, so here's a completely different assignment.

I'm sure you will understand and grade me accordingly..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

I'm sure you knew it already Barney but the difference between someone getting a first and others is often their ability to critically evaluate existing lit and theory.

5 forces is an excellent tool but is a bit like a balance sheet...A snapshot in time. McGraths work builds on this whilst redefining the traditional view of what sustainable competitive advantage is. The world is very different now from when Porter developed the 5 forces so the theory should like wise. Even back in the 40s the Austrian industrial economist Joesef Schumpeter described the rate of change and action and competitive reaction as a " perennial gale of creative destruction".

I'd be interested in hearing your counter argument though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Voltex wrote: »
    I'm sure you knew it already Barney but the difference between someone getting a first and others is often their ability to critically evaluate existing lit and theory.

5 forces is an excellent tool but is a bit like a balance sheet...A snapshot in time. McGraths work builds on this whilst redefining the traditional view of what sustainable competitive advantage is. The world is very different now from when Porter developed the 5 forces so the theory should like wise. Even back in the 40s the Austrian industrial economist Joesef Schumpeter described the rate of change and action and competitive reaction as a " perennial gale of creative destruction".

I'd be interested in hearing your counter argument though.

I would have to defer to your clearly superior knowledge in the area Voltex, I neither know nor do I intend to explore McGrath's work - you haven't really sold it to me there! - my "counter argument" is quite simple, if the lecturer says the assignment is X, why be a smartass and do Y.

The OP hasn't asked how to go beyond the states requirement in pursuit of a first, they've asked if anyone can help them apply the models quoted, to the company given.

The OP hasn't asked how to go beyond the states requirement in pursuit of a first, they've asked if anyone can help them apply the models quoted, to the company given.

Well he won't be getting a 2.2 either if he is too lazy to find enough info on porters 5 forces online, and do a simple pest analysis which is probably in 50 books in his college library.

And Voltex is quite correct in what he says. There is certainly no harm in doing the required task and then going that bit further to show some depth of understanding of the theory behind what your doing, show that your interested and push for that higher grade.

• Advertisement
Advertisement