Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anyone else disappointed with healthbook?

• 04-10-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭

Not sure what I was expecting now, but was expecting better than this. Myfitnesspal pulls in data to it, but very few other apps do - I use both runkeeper & fitbit & neither of them are supporting it.

I thought I'd find it a lot more useful. Maybe you need the watch to maximise the benefit of it.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've only just added my Jawbone Up24 to it the other day.
    Still on the fence with it, but maybe we haven't seen its full potential yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The problem lies with app developers trying to make changes in the short amount of time they had. You need to remember, many developers would have had access pre- launch, but when bugs in iOS8 required it to be pulled - they could do nothing except wait. 8.0.1 was pulled before anyone would have had a chance to tweak apps, so realistically it's only since 8.0.2 that many devs are actually having a chance to work with Healthkit.

That's just over a week ago. Give it time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The problem lies with app developers trying to make changes in the short amount of time they had. You need to remember, many developers would have had access pre- launch, but when bugs in iOS8 required it to be pulled - they could do nothing except wait. 8.0.1 was pulled before anyone would have had a chance to tweak apps, so realistically it's only since 8.0.2 that many devs are actually having a chance to work with Healthkit.

That's just over a week ago. Give it time.

The devs had since June to work on it, with most of them having the updates ready for launch. The bugs just meant that iOS 8 wouldn't let them publish the apps. That's been fixed now so they can publish away. The bug didn't meant the devs had to complete redo the apps from scratch, it was just delayed.

I personally have literally nothing added in mine, it's looking like it will go the same way as Passbook, at least for now. With the Apple Watch and Apple Pay off in the future there's a possibility of both becoming a lot better. I'll be getting the iPhone 6 soon and the Apple watch next year so the Healthbook app should get more data once I get those. Passbook is still something that could be a while away before being used in Ireland with Apple Pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

DubDJ wrote: »
    The devs had since June to work on it, with most of them having the updates ready for launch. The bugs just meant that iOS 8 wouldn't let them publish the apps. That's been fixed now so they can publish away. The bug didn't meant the devs had to complete redo the apps from scratch, it was just delayed.

Apparently they did have to re-write them to account for the changes made by apple, at least that's what's been published by Forbes.
    The problem is that Apple wasn’t even allowing HealthKit apps in the App Store until [Wednesday]—which isn’t much time to rewrite an app, test it, submit it to Apple, and win approval,” Owen Thomas points out at ReadWrite. “The pullback of 8.0.1 would have stalled anyone trying to do so anyway.

Apparently they did have to re-write them to account for the changes made by apple, at least that's what's been published by Forbes.

I'm not sure, but I read the problem was on Apple's end and they needed to fix it, nothing about changes were mentioned though. If it was a change, I'd imagine it was a small fix, and nothing major like a lot of new code. Still hoping to see some good functionality added, I'm holding off on wearable until the Apple Watch is officially released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I've added flights climbed, steps, and walking distance to my dashboard. It's actually pretty interesting seeing on what days I walk the most and after a few months of data it'll provide a good insight into what days I could be more active.

All the other stuff is wasted on me because I don't track blood pressure, glucose, etc...but for anyone tracking health issues over a longer term it's very useful.

Zcott wrote: »
    I've added flights climbed, steps, and walking distance to my dashboard. It's actually pretty interesting seeing on what days I walk the most and after a few months of data it'll provide a good insight into what days I could be more active.

All the other stuff is wasted on me because I don't track blood pressure, glucose, etc...but for anyone tracking health issues over a longer term it's very useful.

The iPhone 5S and newer needs this though, which is why I'm looking forward to my iPhone 6. The Apple Watch combined will show a lot more data and I'd say will be interesting to keep track of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭OU812

Zcott wrote: »

My Fitbit tracks steps, stairs, distance etc, but they strangely haven't updated the app yet.

I was contemplating selling it & getting the runtastic device as its waterproof & tracks sleep also which would make it far more useable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OU812 wrote: »
    My Fitbit tracks steps, stairs, distance etc, but they strangely haven't updated the app yet.

I was contemplating selling it & getting the runtastic device as its waterproof & tracks sleep also which would make it far more useable.

Jawbone only released their update last week for the Health Kit, so id say the others are working on it.

Ive had my Jawbone connected to it, but I have only allowed Health Kit to read my jawbone data, I have not allowed the health kit to write data to it as I have my jawbone on 24/7, as opposed to the phone which could be left at the desk, or somewhere in the house etc

Advertisement