Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We brain wash people into liking our products (former cod director)

Options
  • 04-10-2014 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

http://www.gamrreview.com/news/92008/we-brainwash-people-into-liking-it-former-call-of-duty-director/

I am not exactly sure what Dave Anthony agenda is by coming out like this but this seems to push my opinions of is there going to be a shake up in the industry thread about how marketing is really showcasing one product and giving consumers another and how its basically all brainwashing and could leave to destroying consumer trust.

This though takes it a step to far as he is trying to encourage the Us government to follow suit and take pointers.

What exactly is this man supposedly trying to achieve ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Didn't work on me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What exactly did people *think* they were doing if that wasn't immediately obvious before he admitted it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

"When we have a new product that has elements that we're not sure how people will respond to"

What he talking about? Every CoD has been the same for the last 29 years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

bodysnatchers1.jpg

brainwashed! All of ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Absolutely no news here. Media company spend big money marketing things to consumers in a bid to convince them it's really good.

Welcome to reality

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Amusingly arrogant interview tbh, the way he is going on you'd swear he had discovered the meaning of life* or something like that. As much as he loves blowing his own trumpet and feeling exceedingly smart, he's not doing anything Hollywood or indeed any other mass market product hasn't been doing for decades.

* = 42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I love the bit where he reckons the answer to issues in schools like shootings etc is to have a military "school marhsall" at every school. Good old Murca, where the solution to EVERYTHING is to give people guns and let them shoot things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

COYVB wrote: »
    I love the bit where he reckons the answer to issues in schools like shootings etc is to have a military "school marhsall" at every school. Good old Murca, where the solution to EVERYTHING is to give people guns and let them shoot things

Thats the NRA's stance to combat it, to have a "good guy" with a gun to stop the "bad person" with a gun. Was from the NRA presidents speech when they tried to blame games for another shooting a year or so ago.

Yup, because hiring gun nuts to start popping students who seem "shifty" rather than counselors to help the people who clearly needed it (if half the reports from shootings are true) is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Smithy2306

Haven't bought a COD game in years. Same tripe with a new skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

"I look at the US military and government, ironically, as having some of the very same problems as what the Call of Duty franchise has. We are both on top of our game. We are both the best in the world at what we do. We both have enemies who are trying to take us down at any possible opportunity. But the difference is, we know how to react to that."

Talk about brainwashed :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'd love to know how much blow he'd ingested before he gave that interview. What a tool…
    I look at the US military and government, ironically, as having some of the very same problems as what the Call of Duty franchise has. We are both on top of our game. We are both the best in the world at what we do. We both have enemies who are trying to take us down at any possible opportunity. But the difference is, we know how to react to that."

But yeah, essentially he isn't saying anything new. Just look at how hyped people get about games before they get released because companies spend ages before the release marketing the crap out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Very insulting to brave men and women of armed forces everywhere IMHO.
    Equating his struggle to exploit a market share for greater profit with the various missions that soldiers commit to the world over, with the personal sacrifice that entails, including the ultimate sacrifice.
    Yeah, just the same alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hold on, you're missing the bigger picture here. You've linked to the Gamrreview page, 2 sound bites with minimal analysis, instead of the actual article you're discussing - who has been brainwashed by whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

That's how marketing works... they make you 'want' a product you don't need... often through false advertising using the like of CGI pretending to be ingame graphics.

Advertisement