Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One dog vomiting, now another?

• 04-10-2014 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on this one?

I have a few dogs and one of them started vomiting up his food on Wednesday afternoon. I waited 24 hours but it didn't clear so I toke him to the vets Thursday where he was kept overnight on a drip and monitored. He was given injections for anti-inflam and antibiotics. He was fed RC gastric tinned food and he kept his food down. The next step was bloods and an x-ray but the vet said for the moment it seemed to be a gastric problem. He came home yesterday (Friday) and is back to his lively self.

This morning (Sat) a different dog vomitted up his breakfast. I fed him his dinner at about 7pm and in the last 30 minutes he has done it again.

Anyone know what is happening here? Is there a general bug going around? What can be transferred from 1 dog to another to cause this? (btw, worming and vaccs uptodate).

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are they suffering diarrhoea?

There is a virus which few vets vaccinate against (can't remember the name) which has parvo like symptoms, that they may have caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Stheno wrote: »
    Are they suffering diarrhoea?

There is a virus which few vets vaccinate against (can't remember the name) which has parvo like symptoms, that they may have caught

There poos are all OK.

With first dog on the first day of vomiting, the food just came straight back up in a violent way - alot of liquid. On the second day he held it in for a number of hours and the vomit was more solid.

Today the second dog is holding it in more and the vomit is more solid.

btw they also have the kennel cough vacc even though they haven't had a stay in the kennels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It could easily be a tummy bug that's going around. And you might pick it up too :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

odckdo wrote: »
    There poos are all OK.

With first dog on the first day of vomiting, the food just came straight back up in a violent way - alot of liquid. On the second day he held it in for a number of hours and the vomit was more solid.

Today the second dog is holding it in more and the vomit is more solid.

btw they also have the kennel cough vacc even though they haven't had a stay in the kennels.

Sounds like some sort of a bug tbh

DBB wrote: »
    It could easily be a tummy bug that's going around. And you might pick it up too :o

Hopefully that is it.

I suppose I'll keep him off food for 24hrs and see if that fixes it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hopefully that is it.

I suppose I'll keep him off food for 24hrs and see if that fixes it.

I believe they don't recommend starving a dog any more when vomiting or for diarrhoea, as it can make matters worse.
    I'd be inclined to try him on small meals of something very bland, boiled chicken and spuds is the weapon of choice here :)

DBB wrote: »
    I believe they don't recommend starving a dog any more when vomiting or for diarrhoea, as it can make matters worse.
    I'd be inclined to try him on small meals of something very bland, boiled chicken and spuds is the weapon of choice here :)

Oh right, I didn't know that. Thats good advice - cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Probably a stupid question but have you changed their food?

No, food still the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

No, food still the same.

Ah ok well hope your doggies get better :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement