Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance

Options
  • 04-10-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I don't right now have a car, but I am planning to buy one. My question is,

If I buy a car and also the insurance for this car, then I sell this car and buy a new one. Can I transfer the insurance into new car? Any extra fee is needed?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Yes you can transfer insurance to the new car. The car tax stays with the car. You may have to pay a nominal fee to transfer the insurance. Normally €50 but it would depend on the insurance you might also have to pay more for your insurance if you change the type of car. Higher cc for eg. From a 1.2 fiat punts to a 1.6 peugeot

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ChrisWang

Thank you, garbeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A lot of the insurance companies allow one free transfer per annum. When you sell a car you remove the insurance disc and leave the tax disc. Some of the insurance companies want the old disc and cert returned before they will issue new ones though the actual transfer of the policy can be done over the phone and is effective immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ChrisWang

Thank you, coylemj.
    Then I will not worry about the insurance transfer when I want to change a car. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

If you're a new or inexperienced driver, there might be restrictions as to what type of car you drive with certain companies.

For example if you get insurance on a 1litre micra and then want to change to 2litre vw passat for example, depending on your insurer they will either charge you more or refuse to insure you on that car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 millies23

When you do insure your car, I recommend you do NOT insure with its4women.ie. I have just spent the morning trying to switch my insurance from one car to another. Their customer service is the worst I have experienced since the 90's! Seriously ALL MORNING! Many other companies offer this service easily and for free if the new vehicle is smaller etc but its4women charged me EU10 and no apology!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

millies23 wrote: »
    but its4women charged me EU10

€10 is nothing really. My insurer charged me €40 recently to transfer my policy to a new car. There are some insurers out there advertising zero admin fees, but its not something that is usually key to your decision when selecting an insurer

Advertisement