Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Littering of rubbish.

• 05-10-2014 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

I really hate people I see littering. It's a dirty, lazy habit. I was driving home tonight and a mineral can was thrown out the passenger window of a car in front of me; this was then followed by a pizza box. It was a country road.

I was disgusted and infuriated. I increased my speed and started flashing my lights. The car pulled in and I got out of my car and went to the passenger side. It was a couple, woman driving and male passenger was drunk. I asked why did they throw the litter out. Woman, embarrassed, said nothing was thrown and the man, with pizza sauce on his face told me to f**k off. I told them that I saw it happening, that it was littering an area near where I lived (true) and that I would report their car reg to the gardai if they didn't go back and tidy it up.

The man effed me out of it again but the woman apologised. She turned around and went back. They removed the litter and drove away. Admittedly, they could have dumped it around the next corner but I felt better for having done it.

So, was I an annoying old bo***x? I know it probably achieved very little but I feel that I did the right thing.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

The Peanut wrote: »
    I really hate people I see littering. It's a dirty, lazy habit. I was driving home tonight and a mineral can was thrown out the passenger window of a car in front of me; this was then followed by a pizza box. It was a country road.

I was disgusted and infuriated. I increased my speed and started flashing my lights. The car pulled in and I got out of my car and went to the passenger side. It was a couple, woman driving and male passenger was drunk. I asked why did they throw the litter out. Woman, embarrassed, said nothing was thrown and the man, with pizza sauce on his face told me to f**k off. I told them that I saw it happening, that it was littering an area near where I lived (true) and that I would report their car reg to the gardai if they didn't go back and tidy it up.

The man effed me out of it again but the woman apologised. She turned around and went back. They removed the litter and drove away. Admittedly, they could have dumped it around the next corner but I felt better for having done it.

So, was I an annoying old bo***x? I know it probably achieved very little but I feel that I did the right thing.

rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Ignorant cunts that throw litter out the car window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Near where I live there's a lane where some of our neighbours have decided that anything they don't want just gets dumped.

Rubbish bags mostly. But sometimes broken TVs, furniture etc.

I was walking home one evening about 9 and saw a guy dragging two mattresses to the end of the lane where he just left them. He just looked at me with a shrug as if he was just leaving out the bins for collection in the morning.

These people don't care, they don't want to pay for rubbish collection or drive to a dump where they can leave most of this stuff for free. All they know is as soon as they leave it there some poor f*cker from the council has to come and dispose of it for them.

Useless c*nts. And they're probably sitting down the pub with their mates p*ssing and moaning about what their taxes are being wasted on without the faintest bit of self-awareness.

F*cking morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Nah you were right to do what you did fair play

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No you weren't, and in this particular case maybe you did the right thing with hindsight.

But you're probably lucky you didn't achieve a broken jaw or worse for your efforts.

Anyone who throws rubbish from a car is the type of scumbag capable of a lot worse. Especially when drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Some people are selfish cúnts who don't care about the ramifications their own actions have, if they perceive it benefits them even slightly.

Littering is just one example of this.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Near where I live there's a lane where some of our neighbours have decided that anything they don't want just gets dumped.

Rubbish bags mostly. But sometimes broken TVs, furniture etc.

I was walking home one evening about 9 and saw a guy dragging two mattresses to the end of the lane where he just left them. He just looked at me with a shrug as if he was just leaving out the bins for collection in the morning.

These people don't care, they don't want to pay for rubbish collection or drive to a dump where they can leave most of this stuff for free. All they know is as soon as they leave it there some poor f*cker from the council has to come and dispose of it for them.

Useless c*nts. And they're probably sitting down the pub with thei rmates p*ssing and moaning about what their taxes are being wasted on without the faintest bit of self-awareness.

F*cking morons.

Sure they dont have to pay for it its like the inner city fcuking their unwanted rubbish in the back lanes for the council to collect when everyone else has to pay for their disposal let them wallow in their own filth and pay like the rest of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Is there another type of littering?

Oh, it was really littering with rain earlier. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

My brother is a garda and he told me a story of a court case he was involved in where someone did something similar and the bo***x in the car turned on the fella who stopped him and punched his teeth out; this was ringing in the back of my head.

It sickens me though. They expect someone else to clean up their ****. Lazy, ignorant people.

Anyway, there's a guy on my folks' road that steadfastly refuses (pun intended) to pay for bins.

Arseh0le was putting his rubbish in elderly neighbours wheely bins late at night, tried it with my folks' one, they put the bags back in his garden.

Also seen heading off on his bike with bin bags and dumping it down a lane, fecking loser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Fair play to you but you were one lucky man not to have been kicked up and down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Birneybau wrote: »
    Anyway, there's a guy on my folks' road that steadfastly refuses (pun intended) to pay for bins.

Arseh0le was putting his rubbish in elderly neighbours wheely bins late at night, tried it with my folks' one, they put the bags back in his garden.

Also seen heading off on his bike with bin bags and dumping it down a lane, fecking loser.

The lengths people go to to find a dumping spot?Surely it'd be easier to pay a few hundred quid and relax of an evening?
    The countryside is I'm afraid destroyed with bags of rubbish.They don't even try to hide it anymore,just stop anywhere and toss it in the ditch.Sometimes it's left strewn
    across the road.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Fair play to you but you were one lucky man not to have been kicked up and down the road.

Maybe didn't fully think it through but I'm 6'3 and ex-rugby; I was hoping I would intimidate people sitting down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Maybe didn't fully think it through but I'm 6'3 and ex-rugby; I was hoping I would intimidate people sitting down.

We don't need any more dead heroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Instead of accosting drunk people and ending up in the hospital maybe if it bothered you so much you could have collected it and disposed of it without being a vigilante.

For the record I doubt they picked it up so lose lose it seems.

Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Personally, I think i've just read some half truth / half porkies story. But anyways, it's nearly 2am who wants to argue :pac:

But to answer the question of how you handled yourself. Yeah, you came off as a doucebag. You're not a litter warden, op.

Instead of accosting drunk people and ending up in the hospital maybe if it bothered you so much you could have collected it and disposed of it without being a vigilante.

Good man.

After having rubbish being thrown from cars into my front garden over the last ten years, I decided I have picked up enough of other people's rubbish. They definitely picked it up as I said in my OP; it was still daylight and I saw them doing it.

I was very civil and as it happened relatively early, I was not expecting anyone drunk in the car; I thought it would be teenagers until I spoke to them. I certainly don't consider it lose lose; what would you do with individuals littering your area? Pick it up indefinitely? I probably would never do it again but part of me is hoping that they might learn something from the experience too.

Personally, I think i've just read some half truth / half porkies story. But anyways, it's nearly 2am who wants to argue :pac:

But to answer the question of how you handled yourself. Yeah, you came off as a doucebag. You're not a litter warden, op.

You're fully entitled to your opinion, I'm not expecting people to agree with me but why would I make-up stuff?

You're fully entitled to your opinion, I'm not expecting people to agree with me but why would I make-up stuff?

Don't take it personal mate. This is just the internet. So many people post crap about themselves or so called experiences. Like pulling them over and he has pizza sauce on his face? you can see my point.
    But even then lets take away the internet. How many times have you heard waffle from a mate? - "so this guy did this... then i went OH YEAH and did that" etc etc.

But as I say it's late in the morning who wants to argue :P so lets take it on board that what you say did happen. Why on earth would you flash down a car? then give them a talking too? ... you aint no litter warden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Good man.
    Not sure what the sarcastic "Good man" is in aid of?

If what the OP says is true, fair play to him, instead of him bitching and moaning about it afterwards (which I'd bet you'd criticise too). It's easy for people to act all cynical and maybe the OP was lucky to have avoided an altercation but he still got out there and took a small stand, which is commendable. Not everyone would be able to but fair play to those who do.
    It seems essential on Boards though to piss on anything people say they do, even when it's for the greater good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Hold on a minute. Someone threw a can at you from a moving car? Are you John Malkovich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Don't take it personal mate. This is just the internet. So many people post crap about themselves or so called experiences. Like pulling them over and he has pizza sauce on his face? you can see my point.
    But even then lets take away the internet. How many times have you heard waffle from a mate? - "so this guy did this... then i went OH YEAH and did that" etc etc.

But as I say it's late in the morning who wants to argue :P so lets take it on board that what you say did happen. Why on earth would you flash down a car? then give them a talking too? ... you aint no litter warden.

Maybe he did it because he has some pride in himself and in the area he lives and doesn't want utter dirtbags destroying the area with their filth!

He is not a litter warden but since when has it been law that only a litter warden can tell you to pick up your own rubbish? Op had their reg to give to Gardai if they refused to pick up their own rubbish but decided to ask them to pick it up and avoid court and a large fine!

Haven't you expressed the view that AH is full of people who like to dismiss situations that people have said they experienced?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Maybe he did it because he has some pride in himself and in the area he lives and doesn't want utter dirtbags destroying the area with their filth!

He is not a litter warden but since when has it been law that only a litter warden can tell you to pick up your own rubbish? Op had their reg to give to Gardai if they refused to pick up their own rubbish but decided to ask them to pick it up and avoid court and a large fine!

Tell someone to pick up their rubbish... stand back while a person is being mugged. Such is the world we live in.
    Haven't you expressed the view that AH is full of people who like to dismiss situations that people have said they experienced?

I think I know what you are reffering too. But don't ask me to swallow something that I think sounds BS. I wont do the same to you, too :) We all form our own opinions as to what sounds like porkies and not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Tell someone to pick up their rubbish... stand back while a person is being mugged. Such is the world we live in.

I think I know what you are reffering too. But don't ask me to swallow something that I think sounds BS. I wont do the same to you, too :) We all form our own opinions as to what sounds like porkies and not.

i'd say if he was going to make it up, there would probably have been a threesome out if it. After they picked up their litter.
    your b.s meter is in need of calibration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

My brother is a garda and he told me a story of a court case he was involved in where someone did something similar and the bo***x in the car turned on the fella who stopped him and punched his teeth out; this was ringing in the back of my head.

It sickens me though. They expect someone else to clean up their ****. Lazy, ignorant people.

That was my first concern too, having lived most of my life in England. Thankfully it is a lot different here.

Good forya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

percy212 wrote: »
    Hold on a minute. Someone threw a can at you from a moving car? Are you John Malkovich?

Nicely worded son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Personally, I think you're pi**ing against the wind telling some people off about littering. It's just in their mentality. There's a guy that drives an artic with me that can't pass a garage without stocking up on munchies and coffee. I've driven behind him and watch the trash flying out the window moments later. Last week he was standing beside my truck talking while he was scarfing down a packet of crisps. When he finished, he scrunched up the empty bag and threw it on the ground behind him. Moments before, he had flattened a paper cup and shoved it down a shore. His answer when confronted? "It keeps someone in a job"!
    I'm no stranger to being the victim of litter and dumping louts. I live in a gated appartment complex of 30 units and I'd swear half the town have the code for the gate. The bins fill up in no time, but most dumpers neatly place their cases of empty beer bottles, broken furniture and rusty old bikes beside our bins, which will NEVER be taken away by the bin-men. Every quarter the management company have to pay someone to come along and clear it all.
    One final note to OP. Be very very careful when confronting someone with your car. It could all turn nasty (speaking from experience) quite quickly. I suggest getting a cheap dash-cam and posting videos up on youtube. You will feel good after doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's too hard to get anything done.
    I reported some repeat litter offenders, supplied photos of them littering.

It took 6 months for fines to be issued. But it sorted the problem immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It has to be a special kind of assh*le that takes the car out at the dead of night with their black rubbish bags, old telly or sofa on board so they can dump it in our countryside unseen. Think the op went and above the call of duty but fair play, people like this should be taken to task that making sh*t of OUR country is socially unacceptable and is NOT ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Not sure what the sarcastic "Good man" is in aid of?

If what the OP says is true, fair play to him, instead of him bitching and moaning about it afterwards (which I'd bet you'd criticise too). It's easy for people to act all cynical and maybe the OP was lucky to have avoided an altercation but he still got out there and took a small stand, which is commendable. Not everyone would be able to but fair play to those who do.
    It seems essential on Boards though to piss on anything people say they do, even when it's for the greater good.

Id have more respect from him if he just picked up the rubbish and said nothing instead of

1. Driving like a lunatic and starting an altercation where not required. He got out of his car and approached the other driver in a seriously aggressive manner.

2. Driving off. Said rubbish is probably still out there

3. Grandstanding and presenting it like some save the planet moment instead of an aggressive, stupid act.

If he wanted to serve the greater good. Stop, put it on the bin. Carry on.

Anyone who thinks his reaction is noble needs to think about it.

The OP was hoping it was teenagers he could bully. He is lucky he didnt get the head kicked off him. If someone did that to me, aggressive driving I wouldnt have reacted meekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Fair play to you OP , but I would voice my concerns that it could have turned out bad for you, but then again if your well able to look after yourself that wouldent be a problem.good on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Id have more respect from him if he just picked up the rubbish and said nothing instead of

Maybe he's not too bothered about getting your respect? :)
    Thanks. I do. I have. I still do.
    The OP was hoping it was teenagers he could bully.
    You know this how?
    If someone did that to me, aggressive driving I wouldnt have reacted meekly
    Ah sure ya would :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

1. Driving like a lunatic and starting an altercation where not required. He got out of his car and approached the other driver in a seriously aggressive manner.

3. Grandstanding and presenting it like some save the planet moment instead of an aggressive, stupid act.

The OP was hoping it was teenagers he could bully. He is lucky he didnt get the head kicked off him. If someone did that to me, aggressive driving I wouldnt have reacted meekly.

Always someone looking for something to complain about...

I've bolded most of the ridiculousness in your post. So he should have cleaned up after them? Any chance you could be a bit more incognito, or at least not be so negative/making wild presumptions about something you didn't witness. I'm sorry but your post seems "seriously aggressive" compared to what the op said. Even if it's not true, it's still a good message to give out. Where's the harm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Can the people reading this who fly tip and throw rubbish out windows please own up? I feel that there are a few of you out there by gauging the responses.

• Advertisement

Just because *you* wouldn't do it, doesn't mean it's porkies. But keep saying it is, to look all cynical and jaded. Gives ya a slight edge.

Being doing it all my adult life so thanks for your respect, means a lot.:)

It happened between the 50km and the 80km speed zones outside Bandon. I increased my speed to get their attention before they reached the 100km. I did not drive like a lunatic and I certainly did not approach the car in an aggressive manner. I could see them throwing the rubbish out as they were less than 50 yards ahead of me. The whole "chase" took about 10 seconds. I posted the OP to try and get a discussion going about littering. I did not expect everyone to agree with my actions but please do not make up some fanciful scenario that did not happen.

I pointed out in my reply to your previous mail that the rubbish was taken into the car.

I presented my OP to start a discussion on littering. I can assure you that at 45 years of age, I do not need the applause of strangers on the internet. You are of course entitled to your opinion.

The OP was hoping it was teenagers he could bully. He is lucky he didnt get the head kicked off him
    . If someone did that to me, aggressive driving I wouldnt have reacted meekly.

There was no aggressive driving. I'm glad for both our sakes it wasn't you so as I apparently would be nursing some kind of injury today and you would be facing two charges of littering and assault.

Well done Mr. Incognito on making up stuff that didn't happen in order to have a go at the OP - great discussion. Particularly great from a mod (it doesn't matter that he's not a mod of after hours, he's still a mod).
    Where's the proof he hoped they were teenagers he could bully?

And someone else said he isn't a litter warden. Why would he have to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

If we had enough guards on the street i think they should deal with this..
    More CCTV needs to be put up as well,Enforcement and heavy fines will be the only solution to idiots who think littering is perfectly acceptable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    If we had enough guards on the street i think they should deal with this..
    More CCTV needs to be put up as well,Enforcement and heavy fines will be the only solution to idiots who think littering is perfectly acceptable.

Guards on the street to deal with littering? CCTV?
    Are you having a laugh?

They can't even afford CCTV or guards on the street to deal with brutal murder, theft, violent assaults and you want them to deal with littering?

Ah bless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I hate littering but I wouldnt be stopping cars to make them clean up, You just dont know these days

I mentioned in a reply that I thought perhaps it was teenagers in the car so perhaps some confusion arose from that.

This was supposed to be a discussion on littering and has deviated big time. I don't want the thread to become a witch hunt so could a mod look at locking it please. If there is some merit in letting it run, then that's ok too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

While I do think that the OP did the right thing and should be applauded for doing do I personally would not have approached the litter louts because as the name suggests most are just louts. I would have reported the matter to the local council and Gardai and let them deal with the incident with a large fine which would most likely ensure the lout bins his rubbish in future as he will have learned nothing from the incident with the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Now I don't litter, and I'm not saying it's ok, but I can't understand how anybody thinks that just because they put rubbish in a bin, that it's magically better for the environment.

Your rubbish is still going to be sitting in a big land fill if you dump it in a bin, do you think that this is better, because you don't have to see it? Is that what the issue is here, that it's disgusting because when you dump some can on the side of the road, others can see it?

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Now I don't litter, and I'm not saying it's ok, but I can't understand how anybody thinks that just because they put rubbish in a bin, that it's magically better for the environment.

Your rubbish is still going to be sitting in a big land fill if you dump it in a bin, do you think that this is better, because you don't have to see it? Is that what the issue is here, that it's disgusting because when you dump some can on the side of the road, others can see it?

Really? You would prefer to live in a litter strewn kip instead? Really strange attitude.

Really? You would prefer to live in a litter strewn kip instead? Really strange attitude.

To you, it's ok as long as you can't see the rubbish?

To you, it's ok as long as you can't see the rubbish?

:confused:

Why don't we just cr@p on the street?

What is your solution?

:confused:

Why don't we just cr@p on the street?

What is your solution?

Out of sight, out of mind, right?

Out of sight, out of mid, right?

I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Sorry, but that is an infantile response. Consider the issue for more than a split second and actually think about what was it that the OP said were thrown from the car?
    A drink can and a cardboard pizza box. Now, instead of throwing them from a moving car, what else might the litterers have done?
    Maybe bring the items home and put them in the recycling bin (you know, the bin provided to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill by recycling it instead)?
    So many questions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement