Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Littering of rubbish.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

The Peanut wrote: »
    I really hate people I see littering. It's a dirty, lazy habit. I was driving home tonight and a mineral can was thrown out the passenger window of a car in front of me; this was then followed by a pizza box. It was a country road.

I was disgusted and infuriated. I increased my speed and started flashing my lights. The car pulled in and I got out of my car and went to the passenger side. It was a couple, woman driving and male passenger was drunk. I asked why did they throw the litter out. Woman, embarrassed, said nothing was thrown and the man, with pizza sauce on his face told me to f**k off. I told them that I saw it happening, that it was littering an area near where I lived (true) and that I would report their car reg to the gardai if they didn't go back and tidy it up.

The man effed me out of it again but the woman apologised. She turned around and went back. They removed the litter and drove away. Admittedly, they could have dumped it around the next corner but I felt better for having done it.

So, was I an annoying old bo***x? I know it probably achieved very little but I feel that I did the right thing.
    You know there's no witness protection programme in Ireland, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

baaba maal wrote: »
    Sorry, but that is an infantile response. Consider the issue for more than a split second and actually think about what was it that the OP said were thrown from the car?
    A drink can and a cardboard pizza box. Now, instead of throwing them from a moving car, what else might the litterers have done?
    Maybe bring the items home and put them in the recycling bin (you know, the bin provided to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill by recycling it instead)?
    So many questions.

But, you see, I have considered it for more than a split second.

Do you really think that the type of person that would throw cans out the window would be the type to, at a suggestion, bring it home instead and recycle it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

You know there's no witness protection programme in Ireland, right?

Incidentally there is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Warren and Boden are both in it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Gongoozler wrote: »
    But, you see, I have considered it for more than a split second.

Do you really think that the type of person that would throw cans out the window would be the type to, at a suggestion, bring it home instead and recycle it?

Sorry, I was a bit aggressive in responding to you. You seemed (to me) to be questioning the usefulness of landfill as opposed to littering- I was making the point that it isn't either or, the options are- litter, recycle or landfill. Clearly of those, the preference is for recycling, if that isn't possible then landfill, and not to consider littering as a legitimate means of getting rid of waste.
    And landfill IS a better option than littering, it isn't just a matter of saying "out of sight, out of mind". Landfill nowadays are regulated, various wate types are now banned and it is the residue that is buried in a controlled manner. Litter has implications across the board, from community spirit (intangible but important), costs of removal (and health and safety of those removing it), tourism, wildlife, road safety etc.

I agree of course that the litterers in question wouldn't have considered the recycling option- just saying that they should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Instead of accosting drunk people and ending up in the hospital maybe if it bothered you so much you could have collected it and disposed of it without being a vigilante.

For the record I doubt they picked it up so lose lose it seems.

Good man.

What a needlessly dick-ish post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Another example of people palming their rubbish off on others: launderettes have to ask people to pay up front for duvets to be washed to prevent people bringing in duvets and then never collecting them, instead of paying to dump them themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I was disgusted and infuriated. I increased my speed and started flashing my lights. The car pulled in and I got out of my car and went to the passenger

So, was I an annoying old bo***x? I know it probably achieved very little but I feel that I did the right thing.

This is not rational safe behaviour.

I dont care if its littering.

Report it. You are not batman.

You put your safety at risk for nothing. If you hate littering pick it up.

I really dont see how people are condoning this aggressive scary behaviour tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Out of sight, out of mind, right?
    Clearly you're just arguing for the sake of it (so edgy) but putting rubbish in the bin is better than leaving rubbish lying around. As you know.
    Tarzana wrote: »
    What a needlessly dick-ish post.
    Some people just get off on that crap; desperate for attention tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

If people don't confront litterers about their behaviour how will it ever change?

Are those of us civillised enough to clear up our mess doomed to pick up after scummers for the rest of our lives? Ferk that.

Anybody I see littering gets presented with their litter and told that they dropped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

and the man, with pizza sauce on his face told me to f**k off

Fair play to you, but this is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Maybe didn't fully think it through but I'm 6'3 and ex-rugby; I was hoping I would intimidate people sitting down.

With the cauliflower ears?

Advertisement