Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Health Insurance Policies

Options
  • 05-10-2014 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi.

I'm in a very privileged position that both myself and my wife have very good jobs both which offer full health insurance cover for our family as part of our benefits... But they both deal with different health insurance companies. So at the moment we have 2 health insurance policies.

I presume that being insured twice is ok? as long as you only claim once?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Uhm technically its not ok. Perhaps contact hia? I would probably look to cancel one of the policies or get two companies to pay into one, better policy.

I am in similar position, have excellent international policy but it will lapse as soon as I finish my employment (I'm on contract) I continue to pay an Irish policy so I wont lose my waiting periods, or be penalised for not holding insurance. My residency is a grey area also and the Irish company wont cover non residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chatterbox

We have a political problem in our scenario .. . My daughter is ill so all her treatments etc have been done through my policy for the past few years... My wife has just started work with one of health insurance companies and they cover her family also ... So it's very hard to turn around to them and say we have insurance on my policy with another company.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

chatterbox wrote: »
    We have a political problem in our scenario .. . My daughter is ill so all her treatments etc have been done through my policy for the past few years... My wife has just started work with one of health insurance companies and they cover her family also ... So it's very hard to turn around to them and say we have insurance on my policy with another company.

I see the problem though your wife is hardly going to get into trouble for having married someone whose employer insures him through a different insurance company. If you're concerned about about being insured twice, why not just ask your employer to take you off their policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

coylemj wrote: »
    I see the problem though your wife is hardly going to get into trouble for having married someone whose employer insures him through a different insurance company. If you're concerned about about being insured twice, why not just ask your employer to take you off their policy?

Or take your wife off your policy and just insure you and your kids on your policy and your wife on her company policy. It all depends on which has the best cover though. You are paying benefit in kind on both policies at the moment so it is costing you money in extra tax.

Advertisement