Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

central heating timer

Options
  • 05-10-2014 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

hi folks i have just changed my faulty flash programmer plus 1 for a drayton lifestyle lp711 and the wiring looks a bit different, i have connected it up and i seem to have done something wrong as it is turning on when switched off and turning off when switched on! any help or advice much appreciated. thanks, nigel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

how.gareth wrote: »
    hi folks i have just changed my faulty flash programmer plus 1 for a drayton lifestyle lp711 and the wiring looks a bit different, i have connected it up and i seem to have done something wrong as it is turning on when switched off and turning off when switched on! any help or advice much appreciated. thanks, nigel

throw up a diagram of the connections.

You just mixed up the common normally open closed connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Reverse wire in terminals 1 + 3 assuming boiler is not Volt Free
    1 is perm live
    3 is sw live

Copy exactly the timer you removed, backplates are normally universal but you will need to link L to terminal 1 because that clock is volt free setup so MAKE SURE BOILER IS NOT VOLT FREE or you will have a bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Par1 wrote: »
    Reverse wire in terminals 1 + 3 assuming boiler is not Volt Free
    1 is perm live
    3 is sw live

Copy exactly the timer you removed, backplates are normally universal but you will need to link L to terminal 1 because that clock is volt free setup so MAKE SURE BOILER IS NOT VOLT FREE or you will have a bigger problem.

sorry im only a diy wannabe! my previous timer had terminal 1 linked to L but that aint workin in this one. whats this VOLT FREE stuff? ps, cheers for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I ll try and help you understand do you have the manual that came with the timer??
    If not look at the circuit diagram on page one its the one named wiring the timeswitch.

You have a 230v ac supply (brown+blue plus earth green yellow i assume)

You put the brown+ blue to l and n on the programmer it turns on when you put power on it.

You want to control your heating through this timer this is done through the switch built into the unit.Terminals 1,2,3 in diagram.

Terminal 1 is common to terminals to 2+3 ie it can supply power to either
    Terminal 2 is normally closed ie when you dont want the heating on this contact is made(1+2) I think this is what you have done
    Terminal 3 is normally open(only linked to terminal 1 when you want it through timer)

When you want heating through the timer it breaks the contact(n/o) 2 and makes to(n/c) 3(now you have power between 1+3 heating on hopefully)

What you need to do is get a link of wire from live to terminal one and then put the other core to terminal 3 as Par said in previous post.

Hope it helps and please make sure mcb is off before doing anything.Forgot to ask how many wires do you have at the switch and do you know which one goes to central heating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

cheers that sounded double dutch to me at first but i took the link wire from live to number 1 and put it from 1 to number 3 instead and hey presto! thanks for explaining it in noob terms, i think its wired correctly now as all functions are working, if not watch out for the big black plume of smoke coming from my house, all help and suggestions were gratefully received. nigel

• Advertisement
Advertisement