Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wont go to the toilet

• 05-10-2014 10:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

My dog was ran over the other day and has a broken pelvis. He has to have 5 weeks rest, he lies in his bed all day because he can't walk. I carry him out to go to the toilet. For the first two days he went normally but for the last two he hasn't gone. Has anyone had a similar issue to this in the past? Does it mean there's bladder damage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Laois6556 wrote: »
    My dog was ran over the other day and has a broken pelvis. He has to have 5 weeks rest, he lies in his bed all day because he can't walk. I carry him out to go to the toilet. For the first two days he went normally but for the last two he hasn't gone. Has anyone had a similar issue to this in the past? Does it mean there's bladder damage?

Bring him straight back to the vet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

kylith wrote: »
    Bring him straight back to the vet

I can't until tomorrow. Does it sound serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Call the vet, there should be an emergency number on an answer machine or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Your vet should have an out of hours number and if not then if you give us a general idea of your location we should be able to come up with something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can't until tomorrow. Does it sound serious?

It is potentially very serious

• Advertisement

I've been rininging the number, they say there's a 24 hour emergency service. No answer yet but I'll keep trying. Your after scaring me with your responses.

kylith wrote: »
    It is potentially very serious

It might have been yesterday morning since he went, he eats and drinks, not normally because I'm not feeding him as normal but he eats everything I give him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If he was knocked down and broke his pelvis, he is seriously, seriously bruised and sore, and will be for several weeks. Moreover, he's presumably not able to assume the position to poop, and peeing will be difficult. How he managed for the first two days I don't know... pain relief perhaps?
    My dog was knocked down last year breaking a hind leg, it took her 3 days to pee, and two WEEKS to poop, despite extensive veterinary assistance. We gave her daily doses of the liquid laxative Lectade, because all the lying around and changed eating patterns had her gut motility all over the place.
    It's going to take him time to be able to learn how to assume the toileting position with his injuries op. Do most certainly keep in touch with your vet in case they suspect anything more sinister, but if all is as well as it can be, don't be surprised if it takes more time than seems tolerable.
    You may be able to use a towel as a sling under his belly to support his body whilst he attempts to toilet. My dog would not tolerate this, but maybe yours will.

Yes pain releif helped, I'll take him to the vet anyway and see what they say. Hopefully it's just soreness and nothing more serious. Thanks for the help.

It's not often someone can make this statement and be really happy about it. My dog has just pissed all over my floor! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's not often someone can make this statement and be really happy about it. My dog has just pissed all over my floor! :D

Lol! I hear ya! I had my mam come up to mind my injured little dog last year as I had to do a long day in work and couldn't leave the little one on her own. This was Day 3 after her accident. When I got home, the little thing got so excited that she peed all over herself and the floor (the dog, not my mam)... never have I been so happy for a dog to pee :D
    One sponge bath later, all was well with the world :p
    I know it's been said here more than once before, but isn't it amazing how bloody important the small things become when your dog isn't well? :o

DBB wrote: »
    Lol! I hear ya! I had my mam come up to mind my injured little dog last year as I had to do a long day in work and couldn't leave the little one on her own. This was Day 3 after her accident. When I got home, the little thing got so excited that she peed all over herself and the floor (the dog, not my mam)... never have I been so happy for a dog to pee :D
    One sponge bath later, all was well with the world :p
    I know it's been said here more than once before, but isn't it amazing how bloody important the small things become when your dog isn't well? :o

Yeah very important and even though it's really tough seeing them in pain and struggling with regular things, it's far better than the alternative after a car hitting them.
    Glad you clarified who was pissing all over themselves when you came home by the way. Was a bit worried for a second. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Glad to hear your dog peed, nothing more nerve racking than being on bladder watch!!

Advertisement