Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinned Easy Bake Yeast - Where to buy?

Options
  • 05-10-2014 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I bake my own bread in a breadmaker, and use the sachets of the yeast. It's irritating to keep cutting open the sachets, and having to seal the remainder up, so would like to buy the tinned ones instead.

Where's the best place to get some, does anyone know?

TIA :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Supervalu do it, and Dunnes as well I think. It's on supervalu online shopping.

Little blue tin, Doves Farm dry Yeast, 125g.

Dunno how much brread you do, but it you get a sourdough starter going well, you can ditch the dried yeast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thanks for that! I looked in Dunnes and aĺl they have in the local one is the McDougall's in the sachets. Works great but irritating, as I never use a full sachet.

I'll check Supervalu later when I'm in town.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Dont know here to get it but yhy not just wash a used spice jar/tin of maple syrup or something like that. Then get you normal yeast and cut them all open and pour into sealable jar.

Or just do what we do...put the open McDougalls yeast sachet back into the box with the corner folded over and use it again the next time. Never had a bother with it already being opened. Works just fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If you're in town I think a few of the shops in the market do some as well... I'm trying to think of the name of the shop I last got it. It's diagonally across from On the Pigs Back. White shop, has veg and things in fridges as well. Gah. I'll look it up.

The yeast in sachets is way expensive than the tin. It's nearly 3 times the price for that sachet packaging.

Ludo wrote: »
    Dont know here to get it but yhy not just wash a used spice jar/tin of maple syrup or something like that. Then get you normal yeast and cut them all open and pour into sealable jar.

Or just do what we do...put the open McDougalls yeast sachet back into the box with the corner folded over and use it again the next time. Never had a bother with it already being opened. Works just fine :)

Yes, I've done just that. But it still gets up my pipe! I'd rather just buy a tin and leave it at that. The sachets work out too expensive anyway.

Very annoying as I've just come back from London where the tinned yeast is readily available and only 99p a tin. I bloody forgot to get some! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

pwurple wrote: »
    The yeast in sachets is way expensive than the tin. It's nearly 3 times the price for that sachet packaging.

Didnt know that..probably as I have never seen anything other than the sachets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Got some in a ring pull tin with lid the other day in the quay coop.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

I know the thread is oldish, but just checked Tesco online as I have just finished my box of dried yeast sachets and Tesco now do tinned yeast!

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271257713

Thank Gawd for that!! It's the Allinson's I would normally get at home, but couldn't get here...

Advertisement