Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do if a gun cannot be repaired

Options
  • 05-10-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi folks,if a gun, shotgun, is to expensive to get repaired,and the person does not want it,what does he do with it,and the license?thanks all;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I handed in a gun a couple of years ago, that was too expensive to repair. Afaik I got a cert to say it was handed into a dealer and destroyed, I just sent that away with my application the next time it was due.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You surrender it to a dealer. Get a receipt letter to this effect. You then fill out the FCA2 form, using the cancellation section at the bottom of the form, and give in the necessary details, dealer's PULSE number, and that it was left in for destruction.

If your dealer does not want to accept it, then bring it directly to the Gardaí, and surrender it to them, but fill out the FCA2 cancellation form as normal just citing you left it with the Gardaí. They will then bring it to a dealer they use to have it chopped up.

If you can, rather than cancel the license, sub it onto another gun even a friends gun to keep the license "alive" and if you find another gun you simply sub the license from your mate's gun onto the new one and save yourself €80. If the license is nearly out then just cancel.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

1) How about giving it to someone? Would the fix be worth the price to someone that got the firearm free?

2) How about selling the parts that are good and making someone's day?

3) Could you not decommission it yourself and keep as a wall hanger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

FISMA wrote: »
    1) How about giving it to someone? Would the fix be worth the price to someone that got the firearm free?

hi lad,(1)the price of repair is the same as a good second hand,not worth it,(2)well the stock is ok,and some internal parts,but would i have to tell the guards that i was selling the parts,and the gun is no longer in use?(3)how do i go about decommission myself?thanks

Have to be careful with things like the action, etc. that require a license. Even if someone had the same caliber the action/receiver would require a second license.
    That is not acceptable. The Gardaí will insist on a dealer doing it and then they check the parts to make sure they cannot be put back together. Destroying usually consists of three cuts to the barrel, action, etc. but decommission is having the barrels soldered/welded shut, and possibly some trigger/firing components removed. Again it must be done by an RFD and checked by a Garda.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

forgot to ask,if the gun is handed in to a dealer for distructinn,could i keep the stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

I can't see why not after all the "firearm" is the receiver so once that has been destroyed you should be ok.

Although if it's a bolt action I'm assuming the bolt would have to go aswell but externals like a stock, scope rails ect should be ok to keep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

If you cut it up (cut through the action, etc..) and handed it into the guards in a plastic bag, would that not be notification enough for the guards that the gun was deactivated?

If you cut it up (cut through the action, etc..) and handed it into the guards in a plastic bag, would that not be notification enough for the guards that the gun was deactivated?
    was thinking along the same lines myself,answers anybody?

It has to bee done by an RFD and witnessed by a member of AGS to make sure the parts are in fact the gun that was to be destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Cass wrote: »
    It has to bee done by an RFD and witnessed by a member of AGS to make sure the parts are in fact the gun that was to be destroyed.

But if you have the cereal numbers and teh gun is all there what can they say?

You can sellotape it together for them up on the front desk, whats the worst they can do to you - confiscate it?

Just play dumb.

I don't disagree with ya. If the parts match it should be enough.

I'm just going on the Commissioner's guidelines, and the few dealers i've spoken over the years. I'm sure we've all seen a stock of old guns to be destroyed in dealers. I asked one or two why they are sitting there for months at a time and their answer was "I'm waiting on the Gardaí to come as they have to witness me cutting them up".

Perhaps you could cut them up yourself, but it's easier, and less of a legal minefield, to just surrender to An Gardaí and let them deal with. For cutting up/destroying that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

cw67irl wrote: »
    I can't see why not after all the "firearm" is the receiver so once that has been destroyed you should be ok.

Although if it's a bolt action I'm assuming the bolt would have to go aswell but externals like a stock, scope rails ect should be ok to keep

I would disagree. A stock is a firearm component so you'd need a licence for it.

A scope isn't legally a firearm component so that would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I would disagree. A stock is a firearm component so you'd need a licence for it.

A scope isn't legally a firearm component so that would be ok.

But yet a non licence holder can walk into a shop and buy a stock/scope/magazine even a barrel in some cases!!!

It's not black and white in the legislation so it would probably come down to whether the garda would accept it as "decomissioned" if you kept the stock

For example decommissioning a rifle would be in my opinion the workings of the rifle the bolt, receiver ie the serial numbered parts the stock is just wood or plastic at the end of the day

Advertisement