Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying electrics goods

• 05-10-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Where is the best place to buy electrics for a new house? I also need furniture also do the likes of Harvey Normans do deals or is there some where else. Thanks in advance .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Shop around is my advice.

Curry's
    Harvey Norman
    Soundstore

They all have websites.

If you want to keep it local then you have the likes of McCarthy Furniture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I have found Finucane Electrical in Crosagalla Business Park very competitive and they have excellent, well-trained personnel on the floor too. I bought from them a couple of times and I would recommend them highly.

http://www.finucaneselectrical.com/

I have no connections with them or any affiliation whatsoever, just recommending them - and they're a local business too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

For televisions,dvd etc I would highly recommend Future sound and vision F.S.V. top of William street, I never recommend the big high stores as there sales staff lead a lot to the imagination when it comes to sales experience and customer service..

Finucanes as already recommend is a long established family business who Id recommend over harvey normans anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Do not go to Harvey Normans.
    Please. Appalling ran, and genuinely overpriced.

For Electrical goods, Finnucanes by a mile. Time after time I have tried to not buy there, thinking I'll get better elsewhere... but always end up back at Finnucanes.

Pricing is spot on; product is A1; and the staff know their stuff. They don't sell crap. They are very honest people.

Limerick isn't the best for furniture or bedding, I believe anyway... but McCarthy's are ok I suppose. Not a great selection. I'd go to Cork, or Dublin if was me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Electrical white goods go to Soundstore
    TV, sound systems, etc go to FSV up near Gleeson's Sports Store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Thanks all for the great advice. Now wheres my wallet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

myshirt wrote: »
    Do not go to Harvey Normans.
    Please. Appalling ran, and genuinely overpriced.

For Electrical goods, Finnucanes by a mile. Time after time I have tried to not buy there, thinking I'll get better elsewhere... but always end up back at Finnucanes.

Pricing is spot on; product is A1; and the staff know their stuff. They don't sell crap. They are very honest people.

Limerick isn't the best for furniture or bedding, I believe anyway... but McCarthy's are ok I suppose. Not a great selection. I'd go to Cork, or Dublin if was me.
    +1 for Finucanes - decent people and great after sales. Furniture guy in Ballysimon near O Sheas pub has a nice bit of stock bedding wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

+2 for Finucanes , I usually have a look around elsewhere at prices but end buying in Finucanes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

jonski wrote: »
    +2 for Finucanes , I usually have a look around elsewhere at prices but end buying in Finucanes .
    Finucanes are sort of hidden away. Maybe it was a once off but when I was there a few weeks back the place was empty. I had just come from Harvey Norman's which was packed with people. I was actually uncomfortable there as I was the customer.

That a good 1 stefanovich as I read your comment in Finucanes. There were a few in there at lunch time and the young guy was helpful but maybe not knowledgeable. We went over to Harveys where we bought an ex display model double oven with over 200e knocked off. But I found the attitude bullying saying stuff we will beat anyones price does not matter so if its a matter of a few Euros I would rather support our own. So I will be doing the rest of my purchasing in Finucanes.

On a separate issue I went into a paint shop in Limerick where over the years I always bought my paint and stuff it was sad to see empty shelfs. I asked the owner what was the story he said everyone now shops in the big shops and no one comes into his. I felt sorry for him as he was always on the ball with his pricing and good deals. Maybe a sign of the times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

blowin3 wrote: »
    That a good 1 stefanovich as I read your comment in Finucanes. There were a few in there at lunch time and the young guy was helpful but maybe not knowledgeable. We went over to Harveys where we bought an ex display model double oven with over 200e knocked off. But I found the attitude bullying saying stuff we will beat anyones price does not matter so if its a matter of a few Euros I would rather support our own. So I will be doing the rest of my purchasing in Finucanes.

On a separate issue I went into a paint shop in Limerick where over the years I always bought my paint and stuff it was sad to see empty shelfs. I asked the owner what was the story he said everyone now shops in the big shops and no one comes into his. I felt sorry for him as he was always on the ball with his pricing and good deals. Maybe a sign of the times.

I would never purchase ex display electronics, usually used for months and especially if a one yr guarantee is all you get, especially in some of the larger stores who will send you packing if your one day over the warranty.

No this was just a display model not used or plugged in with a 2 year guarantee. This can be extended if wanted. But I do understand buyer beware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭893bet

The one year warranty thing is rubbish anyway from what I have read. There are europeon laws that superceed it giving you up to 6 years protection. Have a search in the consumer issues forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Harvey Norman like to price things high so they can give you an "unbelievable discount" which actually only just about matches prices you will find else where!
    I shopped around for my last fridge freezer,dryer ,washing machine and tv and got better deals elsewhere!
    Finucanes are very decent from my experiance!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

There's a 3 day event starting in EZ living this weekend. I just bought a house and they told me last weekend that everything will be on sale and up to 70% off. As for electrics I find Soundstore and Finucanes really nice to deal with

Nice one paulers06 thanks for the heads up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

i have to give a plug to hannons on the old ballysimon road, the last time i was there he gave my advice on where to get a pice of furniture and it was not his place, not many will do that, he is honost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Good luck in the new house. I had to buy an replacement fridge last week ( I know so exciting ) and out of the 5 electrical 4 matched the price and Harvey Norman couldn't get the model in.

Its worth looking around, get a average price online and then get them match it. But they will all match the price....

Advertisement