Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for pet rats?

Options
  • 05-10-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

Hoping somebody here might be able to help with advice on where to purchase pet rats? I've been advised not to buy them from a pet shop, but to aim for a breeder instead. Does anybody have such a contact in the Dublin/Wicklow area?

Thanks!

Mac
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

try done deal id say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Macapooloo wrote: »
    Hello,

Hoping somebody here might be able to help with advice on where to purchase pet rats? I've been advised not to buy them from a pet shop, but to aim for a breeder instead. Does anybody have such a contact in the Dublin/Wicklow area?

Thanks!

Mac

There are lots of small animal and et rescue organisation all over ireland. We can't name group here but just google. Don't use Done Deal, most of those will be rodent mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Macapooloo

Thanks for suggestion... No luck on Done Deal... plenty of advice on how to trap and kill them, but not how to buy them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Macapooloo

I'd thought of rescue centres, but am hoping to avoid homing a sick or wild animal... it's a present for a 10 year old so I need an extremely family-friendly variety of rat, from a reputable breeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Macapooloo wrote: »
    I'd thought of rescue centres, but am hoping to avoid homing a sick or wild animal... it's a present for a 10 year old so I need an extremely family-friendly variety of rat, from a reputable breeder.

I understand your position, but there are zero guarantees with animals, particularly with a rat you would probably get at a young age. That means their personalities are pretty much unknown, unlike with a rescue rat which the rescue will know inside out and backwards. As an example, I rescued my first hamster from a pet shop that really wasn't treating her terribly well, kept her isolated and told everyone she was "a biter". We took her home and she was the sweetest, most loving pet that never bit in anger- only once when I did something stupid!

Reputable rescues will not rehome sick animals without ensuring you are fully committed to their care (so you would be able to know before you rescue if there was an issue present at the time) and they don't rehome wild rats. They are very different animals, these will be pet rats that were either badly treated by their previous owners or whose owners gave them up for whatever reason (ie moving, etc.).

I will also say that rats are social animals, who need the company of their own species- you really shouldn't get just one pet rat. Most rats live in communities of 2 or more.

And make sure that the 10 year olds parents (don't know if that's you, OP) are committed to likely being the full carers. Rats, just like any rodent, are a lot of work if you want to treat them properly. They need big cages, and lots of company- a lot of rat breeders and aficionados reckon 1 few hours a night with their owners, because they are SO friendly and social.

• Advertisement
Advertisement