Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain names for .ie

Options
  • 05-10-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey all,

Can anyone please explain the .ie domain name regulations or know where to find simple & straight forward info. And also, can anyone recommend good providers? :confused:
    This is for my fashion blog, that's currently hosted by Wordpress

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From the .ie domain registry:

https://www.iedr.ie/register-a-domain/how-to-register-a-ie-domain/

A list of .ie accredited registrars:

https://www.iedr.ie/register-a-domain/accredited-registrar-list/

You don't state whether this is for a business, hobby, personal website so it's hard to provide specific information.

If you have a registered business name or a Limited company, the process is fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nirina

Sorry I should have mentioned that earlier! It's for my fashion blog, so not really a business.

I want to register a domain for my blog
    You will also need to submit a document explaining that the domain is for a blog. If the domain name is descriptive of the blog (e.g. mynatureblog.ie), then an explanation of this must be included in the document. If the domain name does not appear to reflect the nature of the blog, then information explaining what the domain name reflects and how it relates to the blog is required. A link to an existing site where you currently blog under the desired domain name can also be accepted with your application.

You will need to provide a copy of your Irish passport, drivers licence or a recent utility bill.
    https://www.iedr.ie/register-a-domain/document-requirements/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

Nirina wrote: »
    Hey all,

Can anyone please explain the .ie domain name regulations or know where to find simple & straight forward info. And also, can anyone recommend good providers? :confused:
    This is for my fashion blog, that's currently hosted by Wordpress

Thanks!

To buy a .ie domain you need to be a registered business. Whichever provider you go with will ask for your business/company number. The rest of the application is pretty easy and you will most likely have to give a reason or purpose for buying the domain name. ie what is it for. As has happened me before, you may get rejected first time for not supplying enough info for its intended use, so give your provider plenty of info first time around and you should be fine.

In saying all that, you could perhaps purchase a .com domain and you don't need to submit any info or reasons for buying it. Whichever suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is this thread just an ad for your blog?

• Advertisement

adamrooney wrote: »
    To buy a .ie domain you need to be a registered business.

That's not correct Adam, for a few years now you've been able to register a discretionary domain name. The rules now appear even more relaxed. The quote in my previous post is directly fom the ie domain registry website and applies to individuals registering a .ie domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

Graham wrote: »
    That's not correct Adam, for a few years now you've been able to register a discretionary domain name. The rules now appear even more relaxed. The quote in my previous post is directly fom the ie domain registry website and applies to individuals registering a .ie domain.

Meant it relation to business purposes. When you are applying for a .ie domain for business purposes or If you intend trading using your IE domain, you must first show demonstrate your business or legal status, that is, whether you are applying as a limited company, yourself as a sole trader, or as a partnership of two or more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I recommend phoning the IEDR. They'll tell you how to get your desired domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nirina wrote: »
    And also, can anyone recommend good providers? :confused:
    The rest is okay, but this bit isn't - please read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

for a non business website the following would be needed

signed claim letter for this domain
    provide proof of address (e.g utility bill)

More information may be requested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nirina

Is this thread just an ad for your blog?
    No, it's not.
    Graham wrote: »
    I want to register a domain for my blog
    You will also need to submit a document explaining that the domain is for a blog. If the domain name is descriptive of the blog (e.g. mynatureblog.ie), then an explanation of this must be included in the document. If the domain name does not appear to reflect the nature of the blog, then information explaining what the domain name reflects and how it relates to the blog is required. A link to an existing site where you currently blog under the desired domain name can also be accepted with your application.

You will need to provide a copy of your Irish passport, drivers licence or a recent utility bill.
    https://www.iedr.ie/register-a-domain/document-requirements/
    adamrooney wrote: »
    To buy a .ie domain you need to be a registered business. Whichever provider you go with will ask for your business/company number. The rest of the application is pretty easy and you will most likely have to give a reason or purpose for buying the domain name. ie what is it for. As has happened me before, you may get rejected first time for not supplying enough info for its intended use, so give your provider plenty of info first time around and you should be fine.

In saying all that, you could perhaps purchase a .com domain and you don't need to submit any info or reasons for buying it. Whichever suits you.
    Ah ok, super thanks a million guys! I'll ensure to give them plenty of information so they don't reject the domain application. I'd heard before that i may have to provide such infos but thought Boards may have some more advice on the matter. I'd thought of getting a .com domain but I quite like having the association of Ireland and .ie sounds pretty nice :)

Thanks again guys!

Advertisement