Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your second favourite team...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

kryogen wrote: »
    Has it been long enough since we last won a superbowl that anybody would have the Pats are their second team? ;)

Not until Brady's grandkids are running out on the field.
    (Bill Belichick will still be coach then probably.... So perhaps not!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

The Packers, I like how they're owned by the fans and are based in such a small city. It helps they're in the NFC so unlikely to come up against my Colts too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Has it been long enough since we last won a superbowl that anybody would have the Pats are their second team? ;)

Their my favourite team to hate if that counts?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Their my favourite team to hate if that counts?:)

Didn't realise this was a hate thread. But since you brought it up, my hate team would be the Broncos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I have to admit, I don't really have a second team, but I do like to see the Bears do well recently - probably because of Cutler and Marshall being there (ex Broncos)

That said, I always seem to be able to pull for a team when watching a game as a neutral, that is to say when pitting two teams together I always seem to have a favourite and will pull for that team while watching the game, so I must prefer certain teams over other teams at some level.

It probably has more to do with personnel and style of play than the geographical location of a team. I always disliked watching the Cardinals, for instance, but enjoyed them immensely with Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald tearing the place up.

I find I can also dislike a team due to uniform ugliness (ironic being a bronco fan, I know) the current Tampa Bay unis have me rooting against them every week.

poldebruin wrote: »
    I find I can also dislike a team due to uniform ugliness (ironic being a bronco fan, I know) the current Tampa Bay unis have me rooting against them every week.

Not only is it ugly...but they changed it from that wonderful orange and the logo with that flamboyant winking buccaneer. Yeah, they went down in my books, though they were divisional rivals for the Packers so they were never that high anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Yep, I'm one of the few that loved those popsicle Tampa Bay uniforms. Wish the eagles went back to Kelly green uniforms too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I don't think I have a favourite team any more. I'll watch pretty much any game, and normally there's some sort of subconscious calculation going on that makes me strongly favour one of the teams against the other. I do particularly like the Saints, Eagles, Broncos & Pats, mostly due to family connections and visiting the areas. My favourite team for years was 49ers, watching them in Montana & Young era got me into NFL. But I'm not a fan of Harbaugh, even though he's done great things for the organisation, and particularly dislike Kap, so strangely for a team I used to love, I often find myself hoping to see the opposition win - particularly at the end of that Chiefs game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Lots of teams I like to see do well, and a fair few I like to see doing badly at every opportunity.

if a team has a player or a few players I really like I'll generally shout for them. Also playing with the Browns for 5 Madden season a few years ago has me rooting for them quite a bit.

Anyway quite like the Bears, Bengals, Browns, Saints (former divisional rival but they were bad enough then for that not to matter). Quite like to see the Raiders do well also actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I'm still trying to work out my first favorite team TBH. Only being paying attention to the NFL for the last year or so and still working it out.

Have an awful lot of respect for the Packers though.
    Would like to see the Bengals/Browns get somewhere.
    Almost feel sorry for the Jets/Raiders/Tampa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I'm still trying to work out my first favorite team TBH. Only being paying attention to the NFL for the last year or so and still working it out.

Have an awful lot of respect for the Packers though.
    Would like to see the Bengals/Browns get somewhere.
    Almost feel sorry for the Jets/Raiders/Tampa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Trojan wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Harbaugh, even though he's done great things for the organisation, and particularly dislike Kap, so strangely for a team I used to love, I often find myself hoping to see the opposition win - particularly at the end of that Chiefs game.

Interesting you should say that about Kap. I really got into Football during the Montana era and so I had a like for all thing 49er's. So while I've listed the Packers as my second team. If you take away Kapernick who I can't stand. Then I'd probably put the 49er's in joint second place with the Packers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why all the hate for Kap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Cant stand Kap either, not really sure why. Maybe it's because he seems brainless compared to other QB's and I dont rate him that highly.

Second fav team would probably be the Chargers. I love Rivers and Gates. You also get to see more of them as they play in a less congested time slot generally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Bears are my favorite, Pats are second Boston is a great town really knowledgeable sports fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Here's the weird thing.

I hate the Bears. I hate them. But because I like that whole NFC North black and blue thing, and like to think the Packers play in the most...historically hard division...part of me has a grudging respect when they progress.

But still, the Raiders are the only team I like to see win, after the Packers.

As a Bears fan - I have to agree in theory with your thoughts here - absolutely detest the Packers - they are the bane of my life.
    But If they weren't in the NFC North I'd have a respect for them and what they do - BUT the ARE in the NFC North - So I hate them...

If I was pushed for a 2nd team... I'd have to go 49ers, grew up in the Rice/Montana era - will always admire what they did...

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I've a soft spot for the Cards, especially this season. I'm not too bothered about any of the others, maybe Washington.

I cannot stand the Cowboys. Tony Romo makes me want to punch him in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Have a soft spot for the Browns, most like due to winning numerous Lombardi trophies on Madden with them ;-)

They inevitably suck as well which is something I can deal with as a Jets fan!

I'm a Ravens fan.
    Always liked the Rams and Panthers, just due to hearing Kurt Warners story before I watched any games and I'm a fan of Cam Newton.
    On the player side of things I like Tyrann Mathieu, JJ Watt, Cam Chancellor and Eric Weddle. I like DB play, it's a great contrast to all that prissy WR play :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Why all the hate for Kap?

Possibly because for some reason, he just comes across as a **** shaft. My brother is a 49er's fan and even he can't stand him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭callmepetardu

Colts fan, very fond of the Packers as they were my first introduction to the sport. Also like the Cardinals, fancied their QB Josh McCown when I was 11/12.

Picked the Colts because I liked the colours. Typical girl. :P

Except for the Raiders. I guess it's the whole silver and black thing in the 80s, the bad boy image, the rap music, the long suffering support and so on.

That awkward moment when your second favourite team start overtaking your favourite... I dunno if I like the Raiders as much now they're good and the Packers have slumped, call it jealousy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

As close to heresy to say it as a Pats fan, but I like the Bills. Something about their history of heartbreak endears them to me, plus I've a load of family from that way. They also have the best team logo imo.

Honourable mentions to the Panthers and Vikings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I still like the Saints because of Brees and the Packers because of Rodgers.
    I've a real liking for the Raiders too because I thought Derek Carr was awfully underrated before the draft and I said it to everybody and he has proven me right. I also really like Amari Cooper and I'm delighted to see Michael Crabtree finally showing his ability in the NFL. He had to play with some really bad QBs before he got to Oakland so now that he has a decent one he is showing why he was a first round pick. It's kind of funny that he is doing it with the Raiders who were expected to draft him back in 2009 but Al Davis shocked everybody and took Darius Heyward-Bey ahead of him.
    I like the Seahawks too because of Pete Carroll, he was with the Patriots and was unfortunate that things didn't work out for him there. He is a great coach and a great person too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I wouldn't say I've a second favourite team. I mean I'm an eagles fan and always will be and while I don't have a second favourite team I do hope certain teams will do well and not be crap. Teams like the packers, bears, steelers, raiders, and the giants(although I'm not that happy when the Giants do well) are part of the fabric of the NFL and its history and the league is better when those teams are at the very least respectable.

I know ive said it before but the history of the NFL is a rich one and those teams I've mentioned have played a huge part in the leagues sucess and helped build or enhance the history of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

My favourite team is the Packers and my 2nd favourite is the Texans.

Root for the Packers in the NFC and Texans in the AFC.

I guess the season is so short you might aswell make the most of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

My favourite team is the Packers and my 2nd favourite is the Texans.

Root for the Packers in the NFC and Texans in the AFC.

I guess the season is so short you might aswell make the most of it!

Also some seasons you really do need a second team to root for if your own one goes t1ts up early on. I would usually have a fair idea when the playoff picture starts to take shape who I want to do well, like the Saints the year they won were a fairly obvious feel good narrative (at the time). Like a lot of people, there are also teams that I have a soft spot for almost because they are a team that tends to be in the doldrums a lot. The Jets would fit this, and now they seem to be collecting veteran Bears including my favourite player.

Would agree with itssoeasy as well, about the major teams in the leagues history. I really like the very traditional rivalries, and obviously those ring out a lot more when both teams are doing really well. Like the Cowboys/Redskins, Cowboys/9ers, Bears/Packers, Giants/Eagles etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Dallas because of Romo :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I always had a soft spot for the Bears...
    '85 was before my comprehension of football so I don't have a sore point about the SB that year, but my family did live in Chicago from 84 to 88 and I remember my brother having a lot of bears stuff as well as a copy of the Superbowl shuffle.

• Advertisement

BizzyC wrote: »
    ...a copy of the Superbowl shuffle.

Wouldn't that...make you hate them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Wouldn't that...make you hate them?

Nope, they're so bad, you know they're good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Always been a Cowboys fan & whereas I never really had a steady '2nd' team I kind of used to look out for the Seahawks & Jets... but i was more of a 'disliked' some sides more than others kinda guy... hate the Pats, really cant stand them, then there's a small step down in malice to the Giants & Redskins... & I suppose there's some fun to be had in seeing the Eagles fall as well.

After that I'll happily sit & watch anyone else play & just enjoy the game without really caring who wins, unless it has an impact on the Cowboys in some way.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Redskins fan since they were blown away by Jim Plunkett and Marcus Allen way back in SB XVIII.

Second favourite,Raiders probably although I am beginning to look out for Tennessee a little since they drafted Mariota and Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Redskins fan for as long as I have watched football.

Have a soft spot for the Titans because one of my best mates is from Tennessee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭cosatron

Packers fan but I don't really have a second team but I have a soft spot for teams that have a particular player I like. I had a soft spot for the lions when megatron was with them, some of the stuff he done was incredible and now I have a soft spot for the falcons account of julio jones. I suppose I just like the big fast wide receivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Looking back on this thread poor Kaep gets some old abuse :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Seahawks for me, due to a trip there when i was a kid.

soft spot for the Pats but tbh more Brady is his desire to win/cheat :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Looking back on this thread poor Kaep gets some old abuse :(
    Isn't he getting close to $16m this year? His team is 1-10, he is 0-6 starting, and he lost his job to Blaine Gabbert initially. My sympathy is limited for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

He is worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I tend to dislike successful teams, so I really don't like the Patriots, Broncos and Seahawks. I must admit that I love seeing the Patriots when Brady is purring, and seeing the Broncos and Seattle defences when a quarterback is running scared, but I am just so programmed to root for the underdog.

My second team can be anyone other than those above. Last few seasons it has been the Eagles and Browns. This year, I like watching the Redskins and Saints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

D9Male wrote: »
    I tend to dislike successful teams, so I really don't like the Patriots, Broncos and Seahawks. I must admit that I love seeing the Patriots when Brady is purring, and seeing the Broncos and Seattle defences when a quarterback is running scared, but I am just so programmed to root for the underdog.

My second team can be anyone other than those above. Last few seasons it has been the Eagles and Browns. This year, I like watching the Redskins and Saints.

So you've had a couple of superbowls from hell then in Denver/Seattle, New England/Seattle and then Denver/Carolna with Denver as underdogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Main thing though is that I like football. I would rather see New England and Seattle play out a 0-0 draw than have no game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I also prefer rooting for underdogs. My second favourite team is probably the Giants. A regular season game of theirs a few years back against the Jags was my first ever NFL game, and I backed them both times they upset the Pats in the SB. I have also backed them this year as I think they could meet the Pats again…

Advertisement