Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism alive and well in Ireland still.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Thats so surprising, would have thought nordic countries were the most accepting in the world...

*laughs knowingly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I know Scandinavia isn't perfect because nowhere can be, but I'm still surprised by that. Completely assumed racism would be virtually non existent there.
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    Thats so surprising, would have thought nordic countries were the most accepting in the world...

Wide off the mark. I don't have any statistics or anything and I'm going only by what I've seen but all I can say is I'd rather be a non-white in Ireland than Finland. That's for damn sure.

Sorry about your bro, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Racism alive and well in Ireland still

Still? It never left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Berserker wrote: »
    we are all British. Once I said that, he shut up and didn't open his gob for the rest of the journey.

WTF?
    You're lucky he didnt box the head off you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

A friend of mine's girlfriend was born in Vietnam but adopted by Irish parents at a very young age. A few years back, while in Dublin city centre, a group of youths (who knows, possibly the same group) started shouting racial abuse at her while one of them grabbed her head and spat in her face.

The ironic thing is she is a fluent Irish speaker while the thugs that attacked her would most likely hardly be able to string a sentence together "as Gaeilge".

Hope both your brother and his friend are OK Lexie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Really hope both your brother and his friend make a full, complete recovery. I really hope the Gardaí catch the lads who did it. And, hoping against hope (knowing the Irish judicial system), I really hope that they get 10 years or so for aggravated assault/attempted murder.

Racism is a sad part of life in every part of the world. It is not unique to Ireland. In fact, I would venture a guess that certain parts of Ireland are far more tolerant than others. I know this incident would make you think otherwise, but from my own experience, I've yet to see any "serious" racism at work.

I sincerely mean what I say when I hope your brother and his friend make full recoveries. Totally awful thing to happen and I hope that it leaves no permanent or lasting effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Imperialist Conservative

It's a shame that this happened to your brother and his friend. I wish upon them a quick recovery. If I was to rationalise such a brutal act I would assume that these fellows were uneducated and didn't know how to vent their justified anger at MULTICULTURAL IRELAND in a more sophisticated manner.

Note: MULTICULTURAL IRELAND is in capital letters to emphasise the fact that it is an entity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's a shame that this happened to your brother and his friend. I wish upon them a quick recovery. If I was to rationalise such a brutal act I would assume that these fellows were uneducated and didn't know how to vent their justified anger at MULTICULTURAL IRELAND in a more sophisticated manner.

Note: MULTICULTURAL IRELAND is in capital letters to emphasise the fact that it is an entity.

What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nodin wrote: »
    What are you on about?

Nodin note the username; join date; post count; combo... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It was 5 lads and 1 girl. The girl didn't beat him until he was laying on the street unconscious before she started beating the face off him. One of the guys were in a taxi and jumped out when he saw the fight, he's the guy who went looking for a bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

A dumb and dreadful event Lexie...I wish you and your family well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

It was 5 lads and 1 girl. The girl didn't beat him until he was laying on the street unconscious before she started beating the face off him. One of the guys were in a taxi and jumped out when he saw the fight, he's the guy who went looking for a bottle.

So a few of them beat him up? Wtf? How are you? How's your brother now? I can't believe that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Um...are you serious?

Scumbags can wear shoes too you know.

Um... What are you on about??????
    The question made sense. "where would a scumbag running down the street get a stiletto??"
    The op said there was 5 men and one woman, so basically one of the men asked the lady to take off her shoe and hand it to him. Madness.
    Its a reasonable question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

That's a truly awful thing to happen to your poor brother.
    This kind of thing happens worldwide, but toe there's something shameful about it happening in our country.

The horrible thing anout racism is that it is't confined to just one class.

Fudge You wrote: »
    Um... What are you on about??????
    The question made sense. "where would a scumbag running down the street get a stiletto??"
    The op said there was 5 men and one woman, so basically one of the men asked the lady to take off her shoe and hand it to him. Madness.
    Its a reasonable question.

Um....keep up :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

WTF?
    You're lucky he didnt box the head off you.
    He's in Northern Ireland. Left that bit out though for a reaction like yours (not having a go at you btw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Sorry to hear that, hope he makes a full recovery.

Was out with a Pakistani friend of mine a few months back. It was very late and we're walking home and someone in a passing car shouts something about bombings/terrorism at us from the window. It was the only time I've been on a proper night out with this lad, and I do wonder is this a regular occurrence for him.

Macavity. wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, hope he makes a full recovery.

Was out with a Pakistani friend of mine a few months back. It was very late and we're walking home and someone in a passing car shouts something about bombings/terrorism at us from the window. It was the only time I've been on a proper night out with this lad, and I do wonder is this a regular occurrence for him.

For my brothers friend it seems to be prevalent enough, so much so that he just walks away when someone says something to him because he's not into fighting on the street. Someone had said it to me before about "black boy", and smart arses who'd be calling him tupac but it never even crossed my mind before that someone would hate someone so much they'd take a bottle to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Berserker wrote: »
    Can't stand them. I do my best to avoid them but you have to cross them from time to time. I had one bad-mouthing everyone from Nigerians to Polish to English people before. When he started on English people getting jobs ahead of "our own", I seized my chance and told him that I had no problem with that because we are all British. Once I said that, he shut up and didn't open his gob for the rest of the journey. Throwing something out of left-field at them seems to work.

Really sorry to hear about your brother and his mate. Hope they get well soon.

I'm sorry but you do your best to avoid taxi drivers is it? How is having a pre-conceived notion of someone based on their occupation acceptable but based on their skin not? Both involve stereotyping. My dad is a taxi driver and can't stand racism in any form, neither can the majority of his coworkers. There are a couple in his company who are still sour from the license-free illegal immigrants that put a dent in taxi business here- but they give others a bad rep and aren't well regarded by the rest of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I played in a 5 aside soccer tournament years ago. I had 3 nigerians on my team and the amount of racism towards them was unreal. we nearly ended up in a ****in brawl.the nigerian boys are strong brutes. the little chicken racists were all talk ; ) bullies will only pick on the vulnerable because they are cowardly bastards.I am not the fighting type but i would have loved to knocked one of them out. the anger i felt that day was too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

chinacup wrote: »
    There are a couple in his company who are still sour from the license-free illegal immigrants that put a dent in taxi business here- but they give others a bad rep and aren't well regarded by the rest of them.

It's very prevalent unfortunately, from my own experience. Most taxi drivers aren't racist but there are still a lot who are. I'd say 10% of the time I get a Taxi, the driver will say something racist or at least get some sort of dig in. Nothing wrong with Berserker avoiding Taxis if a few have made him/her uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If it wasn't race they'd have something else to be angry at, cnuts being cnuts. Sorry to hear about your brother Lexie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Thats the so called guards for all, dont care if someone gets assaulted, just let them leave, the most useless and ignorant police in the western world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Makes me sick but i dont think racism will ever fully die out. Even among people my own age who have spent a large amount of their school years with non irish in their class or even in their jobs, theres still a large percentage of thick ignorant pr#cks who are complete racists. A Polish girl i know got a punch straight in the face from a guy just because she wasnt irish. Had a swolen, brusied forehead for days after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I honestly don't understand why anyone would care enough about their opinions of other races to the point they'd actually attack someone for being born a different race to them when it's not like the individual made a conscious choice to be born the way they are. It's actually depressing thinking that people with such low capabilities for logical thinking like these exist. It's not just about race either, anyone who mocks or comments on other peoples genetic traits that they cannot help as they're simply part of how the individual was born is honestly the lowest piece of sh!t in society. It's a pity we can't just prevent people like those attackers from reproducing as I doubt they or any of their offspring will ever contribute anything worthwhile anyway.

Hope your brother and his friend recover well. Be sure to let your brother know he's also a great person for stepping in to try to help, lots of men nowadays would cower in that kind of situation.

Thats the so called guards for all, dont care if someone gets assaulted, just let them leave, the most useless and ignorant police in the western world.

I'm usually not one for running down the gardai as I've always found them to do a good job but have to say I'm pretty disgusted at their blasé attitude to this. I've known people to be arrested for being drunk in a public place, or refusing to go home. The people who are responsible haven't been arrested. I was told to call in to the Garda station at 11 last night. The guard over the case had done nothing.

They hadn't arrested anyone. They hadn't talked to any of the witnesses (pretty much all the drivers from the taxi office), they hadnt looked at CCTV (that is directly linked to the Garda station as its their camera that was on that street. He assured me that they would look into it, they would be getting statements and he would be ringing the hospital but said they can't do anything until my brother gives a statement. My brother can't remember what day is it never mind what happened. (He thinks he fell)

kowloon wrote: »
    If it wasn't race they'd have something else to be angry at, cnuts being cnuts. Sorry to hear about your brother Lexie.

Oh my god I find it so hilarious that some people are offended by racism but on the same breath disregard taxi drivers as a whole based on a stereotype. I think the 10% quote above is either horribly unlucky or a little exaggerated ;) I get taxis very regularly and I rarely hear it. This is both Dublin/Galway. Approx 8 times in the past 4 years. And that's a lot of taxis!

Op really sorry about your situation. Hope your brother and his friend make a speedy & full recovery.

I'm usually not one for running down the gardai as I've always found them to do a good job but have to say I'm pretty disgusted at their blasé attitude to this. I've known people to be arrested for being drunk in a public place, or refusing to go home. The people who are responsible haven't been arrested. I was told to call in to the Garda station at 11 last night. The guard over the case had done nothing.

They hadn't arrested anyone. They hadn't talked to any of the witnesses (pretty much all the drivers from the taxi office), they hadnt looked at CCTV (that is directly linked to the Garda station as its their camera that was on that street. He assured me that they would look into it, they would be getting statements and he would be ringing the hospital but said they can't do anything until my brother gives a statement. My brother can't remember what day is it never mind what happened. (He thinks he fell)

Would you consider contacting the Garda Ombudsman if this isn't resolved? If you do make a complaint though remember it usually needs to be reported within 6 months of the incident. The threat of it may be enough to make them put tracks on the case but at least the option is there. How long is it since the incident took place?

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/garda_siochana_ombudsman_commission.html

chinacup wrote: »
    Oh my god I find it so hilarious that some people are offended by racism but on the same breath disregard taxi drivers as a whole based on a stereotype. I think the 10% quote above is either horribly unlucky or a little exaggerated ;) I get taxis very regularly and I rarely hear it. This is both Dublin/Galway. Approx 8 times in the past 4 years. And that's a lot of taxis!

Op really sorry about your situation. Hope your brother and his friend make a speedy & full recovery.

Did you mean to quote Kowloon? He was referring to the attackers, not taxi drivers.

Did you mean to quote Kowloon? He was referring to the attackers, not taxi drivers.

Sorry actually you could be right. Got a little over excited there :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Unfortunately random street violence like this is getting very prevalent over the last few years. Many of the people who do these things are also inclined to be overtly racist. I don't know if it's education, drugs, thickness, domestic abuse, disillusionment or all of the above that has them like that, but it only takes a very small screwed-up minority to do a mint of damage.

I hope your brother makes a good and speedy recovery Lexie. :(

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother and his friend, I hope they will be OK.

In order to investigate fully, they need to take statements. Your brother and friend need to make statements as they are the complainants.
    I have no doubt that they will gather all CCTV from all available places and take all witness statements.
    They need to do this in order to properly arrest the culprits, we have no idea what conflicting reports they received at the time.

One thing though, due to the new rosters brought in a couple of years ago, guards now work 6 days, then have 4 days off.
    If a member was working nights at the weekend they could possibly be off till the end of this week.
    My advice would be to get onto the station dealing with this, and speak to the sergeant/inspector on duty, ask if its possible for someone working to follow up this investigation.
    Explain how serious it was, that it appears to be a random racially motivated attack. Basically it could've been someone dead.
    I really hope they investigate quickly.

There are scum everywhere that act like this, I think more important for society, is how we deal with the scum. Do we sit back and do nothing or do we stamp it out.
    Fair play to your brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The problem with scum like this is that they didn't give a toss that your brother's friend wasn't Irish. They were looking for a row, saw two targets and went for it. I was attacked one night in a midlands town. I was walking to the local nightclub with a friend when we were surrounded by a small gang of members of a certain minority group. They started asking why we were shouting 'knackers' down the street at them when we clearly hadn't been and nor had anyone else. Then they attacked both of us viciously. Thankfully neither of us were badly hurt but all these scumbags were doing was looking for a fight. They used the race thing (albeit in a reverse way) to instigate a row.

I'm not detracting from OP's brother's situation, it could well have been 100% racially motivated; however I would say it was most likely scumbags being scumbags for the sake of a cheap thrill. I hope the Gardaí take this case seriously and that the cretins get the appropriate punishment. Best wishes to you and your brother for a speedy recovery

It was an older crowd that attacked them. They were in their 40s, the lads are both 24. My brother is a big guy, not fat, but 6'2 and pure muscle. He wouldn't have been the kind of person you'd expect to be picked on. I suspect maybe that's why they used a bottle to take him down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

It was an older crowd that attacked them. They were in their 40s, the lads are both 24. My brother is a big guy, not fat, but 6'2 and pure muscle. He wouldn't have been the kind of person you'd expect to be picked on. I suspect maybe that's why they used a bottle to take him down.

You know who these people are?

Laois6556 wrote: »
    You know who these people are?

Not really. We would know his daughters as they're around the same age as us. Just knew that he was their dad, so we've found out his name/address from that.

Not really. We would know his daughters as they're around the same age as us. Just knew that he was their dad, so we've found out his name/address from that.

How did you find out it was him? Surely it should be easy for the gaurds as they have a name and it's not some random group of people who were passing through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He's a fine shining example, isn't he?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

He looked for a bottle to attack your brother, or to chase the mob away?

• Advertisement

He looked for a bottle to attack your brother, or to chase the mob away?

He left the fight, and came back with a bottle, broke it, and attacked my brother with it.

He left the fight, and came back with a bottle, broke it, and attacked my brother with it.

Brave man. The taxi driver did nothing I suppose.

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread so you might have said but who was the witness to this? Why didn't they intervene and haven't they been interviewed by the gaurds yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Have you told the police who he is?

Also, sorry to hear about what happened. Whatever the reasons were, it's a horrible story to read and I just hope things only get better for both of them and you also.

Hi Lexie,

Hope your brother and his friend are recovering well today x

Meant to ask the question about the guards letting them go last night, but phone was playing up and kept crashing. I would follow up with them at least once a day, keep the pressure on. What I would advise though is to be wary of what you post here as those scumbags deserve their just deserts and I wouldn't want that jeopardised by anything we type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I really don't understand why some people feel the need to bend over backwards in order to pretend racism isn't an issue when these incidents arise. "Oh his colour was just an excuse for scumbags..." is simply a ridiculous presumption.

Attacking someone on the street while citing their colour as the reason as well as assaulting people in the man's company is very much a racist act; in fact I can't think of a better definition of a racist act than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fooking scumbags, hope the lads make a speedy recovery.

FTA69 wrote: »
    I really don't understand why some people feel the need to bend over backwards in order to pretend racism isn't an issue when these incidents arise. "Oh his colour was just an excuse for scumbags..." is simply a ridiculous presumption.

Attacking someone on the street while citing their colour as the reason as well as assaulting people in the man's company is very much a racist act; in fact I can't think of a better definition of a racist act than that.

Sure, its racism.

Over here though these scumbags will attack anybody who looks different. And generally get away with it. I bet nothing will happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

So so sorry to hear about this vile and disgusting attack on your brother and his friend. I wish them a swift and full recovery. And I hope the scum that did this to them will rot.

Advertisement