Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 Year old, looking for Part Time job in Dublin.

Options
  • 05-10-2014 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm a 17 year old currently in sixth year trying to earn some money to help my family and for my future education and life.

I'm available during the weekends, and possibly during weekdays depending on location.
    (My Location is Clontarf)

I don't have any "official" experience in anything, so I know there's not much going for me, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Best Regards,
    Nikolai.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Nikolai HD wrote: »
    I'm a 17 year old currently in sixth year trying to earn some money to help my family and for my future education and life.

I'm available during the weekends, and possibly during weekdays depending on location.
    (My Location is Clontarf)

I don't have any "official" experience in anything, so I know there's not much going for me, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Best Regards,
    Nikolai.

Would you try applying to argos for a Christmas weekend position to start with??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nikolai HD

I'll certainly look into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

This is the time for Christmas jobs, but you'd want to act fast. Tesco, Dunnes Stores, Argos, Smyths Toys, JD Sports, Boots and most big retailers will be hiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

What have you done so far to try to find a job?

What have you done so far to try to find a job?

Well I've applied for Argos, and I already inquired for available positions with shops near where I live, none of which are currently open.

I've looked at, at least, 20 different Irish recruitment websites, but they all presume I'm over 18 and have some form of degree, which as I stated before, I don't(not yet).

I doubt there's very much more I could be doing.

Nikolai.

• Advertisement

Use your network. Family, friend's parents, friendly neighbours. They all work somewhere.

Use your network. Family, friend's parents, friendly neighbours. They all work somewhere.

My Parents are the only people in my family that work(I have a 13 year old sister), but they work "Higher" profile jobs which require years of training and experience to acquire. Friends' parents seems a bit irrelevant, they'd much rather give their own children an opportunity than me. Friendly neighbours, I've tried that, none of them have any work for me either.

So I'm using the online network to extend my opportunities.

Nikolai.

Your parents might know someone who can help you. Your friend's parents might know someone who can help you. Real life, face to face relationships are far more important than online relationships. Give me two minutes with someone face to face and I can convince them to believe in me. It's nearly impossible to do that online.

Give networking another shot. Ask the older people you know if they know anyone working in a shop, restaurant or any sort of operation which might take on part-time workers. Ask them to contact them.

If I'm going to start depending on parents to help me find a job(which I have before to no avail) I might as well just ask them for money. I'm trying to be as independent as possible. I do ask a lot of people, and this board is one of my access points to other, older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

ever thought of doing car washing?
    Print flyers, put them in peoples mail boxes houses/business etc, charge €5 a car or something like that.

• Advertisement

Help!!!! wrote: »
    ever thought of doing car washing?
    Print flyers, put them in peoples mail boxes houses/business etc, charge €5 a car or something like that.

I'll definitely look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I'll definitely look into that.

When giving out the flyers try to speak to the owners & introduce yourself
    Most people would be happier getting their car washed on their drive on the weekend than driving to a car wash

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Try GameStop. My son get Xmas work with them last year but if your flexible you may get more. Try intreo.ie I'm sure there was a coffee shop in clontarf looking for part time staff

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Try GameStop. My son get Xmas work with them last year but if your flexible you may get more. Try intreo.ie I'm sure there was a coffee shop in clontarf looking for part time staff

I've asked the coffee shops in Clontarf already, nothing. and the link you provided me was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

It's the new name for Fas so maybe just go to the Fas website. Have you tried The Yacht or Harry Byrnes to see if they are looking for lounge staff

rsl1976 wrote: »
    It's the new name for Fas so maybe just go to the Fas website. Have you tried The Yacht or Harry Byrnes to see if they are looking for lounge staff

Both of them said that I must be 18 years of age to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

You could try the local shops, restaurants, and fast food places.

If I'm going to start depending on parents to help me find a job(which I have before to no avail) I might as well just ask them for money.

It's not depending on your parents. Using the people around you as a resource is common sense. It much smarter than relying on job boards and strangers on the internet.

You're 17, listen to the advice of someone who has been there, done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You could try the local shops, restaurants, and fast food places.

Try Nolan's, they might need extra staff over Christmas

It's not depending on your parents. Using the people around you as a resource is common sense. It much smarter than relying on job boards and strangers on the internet.

You're 17, listen to the advice of someone who has been there, done that.

Like I mentioned before, I am trying those areas as well. This board is just one of the many different methods I have used!

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    Try Nolan's, they might need extra staff over Christmas

I haven't thought of that! I'll make sure to drop in and find out. Thanks!

Advertisement