Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to work enterprise allowance

Options
  • 05-10-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Has anyone had experience in doing this scheme? Myself and my partner met with a job facilitator and she completely rejected us in the basis he was claiming job seekers for all of us, him being the main claimant and me qualified adult and our 3 children on it, I am the one looking for the btwea as I wanted to open a hair salon, they basically said he is not the hairdresser and I couldn't avail of the scheme not being the main claimant, even though the plan was him to run all business sides of things. We even suggested to her had would do a course in accounting and managing business but just completely rejected any idea we, said spouse swap was not allowed, she gave us no further information on how to try get on the scheme, it seems the social welfare staff don't know much about this scheme either?? Sorry for long post but any suggestions on how to be eligible for the scheme?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Just out of curiosity did you have a business plan with you? Did you go through your local partnership?
    He will have to be the one that applys for it and submits his business plan. I'm not sure if there is a problem getting on it if he is claiming for the whole family.

Oh an make sure you've read this

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fionanreg

Thanks for reply, we had business plan, did our homework on everything, evidence of all the suppliers we contacted, quotes for everything, looked at several premises and got all the rents and rates checked, we had absolutely everything and she didn't want to look at it, she basically said he the main claimant so he is eligible but I'm not and that he is not a hairdresser so you cannot open a business without being trained in the area, which is understandable if he hadn't got that experience but gave us no other options, no spouse swap, just got a no straight out. Very dissapointed we are two people trying to get off social welfare and put money back into the country. We went the local social welfare but they didn't really seem to know much about the scheme at all? There must be some way to do this? It seems like a good scheme to get you started but I can't understand how they can be so strict if you are willing to get off the social welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

This part from the link I posted may be what you're after

"You may also be considered for the BTWEA if you are:

A dependent adult of a person who is eligible to claim the BTWEA. You may qualify if the person taking part in the BTWEA scheme stops their self-employment before exhausting their entitlement. The spouse or partner may avail of the scheme for the time remaining on the original claim. This involves the person who is eligible for the BTWEA transferring his or her entitlements to their spouse, civil partner or cohabitant. (In other words, the spouse, civil partner or cohabitant becomes self-employed and the original claimant becomes the qualified adult on the BTWEA). If the original claimant is entitled to credits, he or she can continue to claim them. However BTWEA cannot be paid at the same time as another social welfare payment so if the original claimant (now a qualified adult) decides to claim another payment you must stop claiming BTWEA."

Im pretty sure the "job facilitator" is not the person who makes the decision. Also you need to find out what area you are in.

"If you live in an area covered by a Local Development Company (LDC) (sometimes known as local partnership companies) you should return form BTW 2 to the Enterprise Officer in the LDC. If you do not live in a LDC Area, you should return form BTW 2 to the Case Officer in your Intreo centre or social welfare local office.

The Enterprise Officer or Case Officer will look at your business proposal and may discuss certain aspects of it with you. You must not take up self-employment until you have received written approval from the LDC or Department of Social Protection."

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mikeholmes1

Going through this process myself,type in Back to work enterprise allowance on the citizens information page, it gives you all the information you need,i know the person i have to meet about this is separate from the welfare office,hope this helps, Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

This doesn't sound right at all. You don;t need to be a hairdresser to set up a hair salon business so I reckon you try get someone else with a bit more knowledge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement