Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question

• 05-10-2014 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

My four year old retriever is a good dog. Never ever jumps up on furniture .Might put his paws on the arm rest but never ever have i seen him jump right up on a sofa until last week. My husband was sitting on the 3 seater i was across the room on the armchair. He came into the room and seemed to be thrilled that we were both there as it was a saturday morning and we would normally be out. He ran across the room and jumped right up next to my husband, stayed there and looked to me for my reaction. I was shocked for a moment then said get down, bold boy.He got down but did it again ten min later this time i told him to get out. He has not done it since but why did he do it at all after four years bizarre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is your husband letting him up when you're not there or would he be getting up when your both not there maybe? He might have just wanted a cuddle from your husband or has realised the couch is nice and comfy! As I type I have one retriever squeezed up against me on the couch and the other is asleep on the other couch :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

He came into the room and seemed to be thrilled that we were both there

Dogs can have little moments of such excitement that they forget themselves, and this sounds like one of those moments :)

this time i told him to get out.

Probably no need to be so peed off with him, just asking him to get down the first few times it happens would probably be enough. You don't want to be punishing a happy moment for him, especially when it's out of character :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I agree with DBB on this one… he was probably just delighted with himself that you guys were home and he “forget” the rules momentarily with all the excitement etc. – it’s no biggie, please dont be cross with him as he was soooooo delighted to see you.

House rules are just rules and sometimes are broken by all… humans and canines…. he was probably totally chuffed with the situation and by you being cross with him he doesn’t understand

Advertisement