Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No sound when using windows....

Options
  • 05-10-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I've been trying casually to fix this issue for the last few weeks and it has me stumped still. Hoping you guys can give me some direction of something I haven't though of yet.

I had an old XP machine for nearly 7 years and finally decided to upgrade it to win7 after the young fella said it was getting painfully slow. Otherwise it was fine but once I upgraded to win7, the sound stopped working. Nothing coming from speakers or headsets. I have installed Ubuntu alongside it and the sound works on Ubuntu but the applications the eldest like are not compatible with Linux (yet) so I'd like to find out why its not working. I've attached the sound options and in the device manager I've tried rolling back drivers, uninstalling drivers, updating drivers and no job.

If anyone has any ideas or even pointers, i'd appreciate them!

Red

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

It might just be a driver issue. Try to find out what soundcard you have installed, and then download and install them. Use "Everest" to try and identify the soundcard.

Then google the drivers.

Just a hunch, but, the Realtek HD audio driver might do the job if you cant identify it

Realtek Driver

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been trying casually to fix this issue for the last few weeks and it has me stumped still. Hoping you guys can give me some direction of something I haven't though of yet.

I had an old XP machine for nearly 7 years and finally decided to upgrade it to win7 after the young fella said it was getting painfully slow. Otherwise it was fine but once I upgraded to win7, the sound stopped working. Nothing coming from speakers or headsets. I have installed Ubuntu alongside it and the sound works on Ubuntu but the applications the eldest like are not compatible with Linux (yet) so I'd like to find out why its not working. I've attached the sound options and in the device manager I've tried rolling back drivers, uninstalling drivers, updating drivers and no job.

If anyone has any ideas or even pointers, i'd appreciate them!

Red

Right click sound icon in the system tray (bottom right hand corner beside the clock), click Playback Devices and make sure speakers has been set as the default device (right click speakers and choose default).
    Failing that you'll likely need to locate a different driver, the current one may not be sensing the jack correctly. Some older machines used Realtek AC'97 and not Realtek HD sound so it could be this also

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thanks guys!

I actually found the solution tonight! After MONTHS of it bugging me!

I needed the Vista SigmaTel Audio drivers and it worked!

I found the answer on this thread:
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19354190

Just in case anyone else has this issue :D

Thanks for taking the time to answer guys, appreciate it!

Advertisement